Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Mage's Blood [Mar 1, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Mage's Blood - David Hair
Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1) by David Hair
March 1, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

message 2: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Thanks, Jenna!

message 3: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 248 comments I am pretty determined to read this, this time, there was a BR back in November and I started the audio and got bogged down with the number of characters, and was going to read the ebook for a while until I sorted them out, but for some reason never went back to it.

message 4: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments Loriidae wrote: "I am pretty determined to read this, this time, there was a BR back in November and I started the audio and got bogged down with the number of characters, and was going to read the ebook for a whil..."

This will be the 3rd chance for me to read it after failing in November and previously in 2018...!
I might join, but it might be too soon for me to try again.

message 5: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Loriidae wrote: "I am pretty determined to read this, this time, there was a BR back in November and I started the audio and got bogged down with the number of characters, and was going to read the ebook for a while until I sorted them out, but for some reason never went back to it."

Same!

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Hmm ... might join this one.

message 7: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I am in!

message 8: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments I have the audio. Just waiting for the BR to start. =)

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Btw, are you guys planning to complete the series?

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian | 839 comments I’m in. Trying to keep up with Soo!!!!

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting early.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 990 comments I'll be slightly late to this one. Listening on audible and not working again until Wednesday.

message 13: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments If the first book is good, I'm up for Buddy Reading the rest of the series. =)

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 2.

Gotta say I’m a bit underwhelmed by the world building so far, despite the shocking prologue.

My thoughts so far(view spoiler)

message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 11

Didn’t expect to have this huge cast of characters to keep track of. A bit slow still, so far. But, I’m expecting things to pick up a little bit starting in Ch 12.

Elena
(view spoiler)

Rimati
(view spoiler)

Alaborn
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I’m going to track your progress as I stopped on book 2 but I lovevthis series and I want to finish it.

message 17: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments Barry, are you enjoying it? I'm having a hard time getting into it. The book comes across as trying too hard to be epic but the events feel forced/cheesy/unimportant.

message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments It’s getting better, but I understand why you feel that way. The first 20-30% of 5e book feels choppy, and a bit info-dumpy. A few of the characters are kinda annoyingly stupid, too. But, I think after 30ish% things start to move a little. I’m just hoping for some pretty good convergences at the end, after so many pages setting up the confrontations.

Another thing that Im not quite enjoying is the clash of cultures. Personally I feel like the cultures of the two continents are too muddled. I understand that what the two continents are based on, but it just doesn’t feel authentic to me. A bit too ambitious to create such a massive mix of actual earth cultures.

Anyway, end of Ch 24

Ramita
(view spoiler)

Alaron’s pov is actually my favorite so far. (view spoiler)

Another thing that kinda annoys me is the wait for the Moontide. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Another thing about the culture clash ... I feel it’s a bit too unimaginative to basically “copy” Christianity vs Islam arguments.

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments I read the first 3 books in January... I agree with the sentiments about the slow start... I thought it got better as it went along, and you understood the characters and could just start following the developing story... but it's basically the historical politics you mentioned, plus magic...

Planning to read the final book when the BR catches up... I chained the books together by hopping across multiple time-lapsed BRs... Zaara restarted book 1 in early January, Mayim & some others were doing a delayed book 2 around the same time, and someone had stuck to the original time table and was doing book 3...

message 21: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments I've got 3 hours left on the audio. I may change my mind but I doubt it. Is this a debut novel? Cause it feels like a debut novel with lots of flaws.

Thoughts, no spoilers but I'll throw in spoiler tag:(view spoiler)

Iain, does the writing stay the same? I am going to guess that it does and that would be a reason for me to not continue this series. It needs to show improvement & better reasoning for why events happen.

message 22: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments Barry, you make too much sense for this book. Bwahahahahha

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Soo wrote: "I've got 3 hours left on the audio. I may change my mind but I doubt it. Is this a debut novel? Cause it feels like a debut novel with lots of flaws.

Thoughts, no spoilers but I'll throw in spoile..."

Definitely stays the same... not really gonna try and talk you into continuing... I rated 3-4 stars and rounded up...

message 24: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments The writing is good enough that I did not enjoy the heavy handed storytelling or the negative YA attributes. I read a ton of romance novels and I disliked the copious amount of sex in this story.

I think the book needs more editing to make it less repetitive and structured for the various POVs to be better balanced. There were enough parts that were cool that I found myself really annoyed by negative elements.

message 25: by Zaara (last edited Mar 02, 2020 10:01PM) (new)

Zaara | 4105 comments I, on the other hand, will try to convince them to at least read until the end of Book 2... aaaaaand I begin now:

First of all, it is always such fun when Soo (and Mayim) go Tarantino with a buzzsaw on anything...😘

@Soo:
Oh I give it to you both and will even add to the "righteous" scorm:

1. The first book is riddled with 1. infodumps 2. POV jerks and 3. idiotic chars IRRITATINGLY squandering their potential by being manipulated at crucial points in the story (view spoiler)

2. The world + story events are basically stolen/morphed from various ancient epics/fairytales/country stories, and if you are very familiar with the originals and the geographies you can see each appropriation and deviation for what it is. Nope, NOT his first book, Soo. Author seems possessed by the Iliad and the Ramayana (not to mention some parts of Odysseus), and has written one earlier series...but even this didn't suffice to write them out of his system...😂

Having said the above, somehow once you spend some time with these ppl it all develops and coalesces into a jolly good backstabby adventure story...a likeable one, I dunno how. Because...see... normally, Mayim and I would be the first ones all over these points...not to mention Saetan. Somehow with this one, we didn't.

For me (and this is just me) reading this appropriation was like watching a small, evil toddlerbaby who thinks he is so cunning/disguised and somehow "stole" the cookies and hid them in a "secret place" but you saw each step of the way and are smiling fondly... and you let him get away with it because you love him dearly. I dunno, will you understand this? The author loves old tales enough to diddle and tweak them and since it is a good patchjob we swallow it, got emotional and ignored the weak technicalities. Plus, Hair really did do a good job with evoking the colours of the world, yes?

Re magic... o Soo... I laughed out loud, reading your picturesque frustration... haha, are you kidding? I LOVED the vague, hand wavy magic, esp in Bk 2 where they go on a bit abt the 😍 wind ships in two different arcs of the narrative (i want one! I also liked the skirmishbot, esp when he tries to win and gets grumpy)
+
there is a bit of a infodumpy classification when Alaron gives his exams and this is expanded on in the second book. Don't like when magic gets superEXTRA technical or when each stage of the magic is described in excruciating detail. This may be puerile but I feel the whole point of magic is that element of mystique/unexplainable. Totally with you on the sex scenes tho!

Haha @Barry, *ominous voice* there is no hope for yooooooouh... :D simply because you are coming here from Manifest Delusions, so... this must read like Gerber (babyfood) in comparison? Same with me (on the historical romance front) i read Suddenly You and finished Rokesbys 1 just after finishing Outlander and compared to the stuff Jamie and Claire go thru the struggles of those chars seemed so tame and watery, like overcooked vegetables. I kept wondering if I would've liked those books better if I weren't constantly comparing them (deprecatingly) to the other couple.

Barry wrote: "2. I like Elena. And I’m looking forward to see the conflicts between her desire and duties."

Excellent observations btw, and so well put! Even I have hopes for Gurvon (view spoiler) and Elena is my fave character, so I liked reading everything you said abt her.

Soo wrote: "The writing is good enough that I did not enjoy the heavy handed storytelling or the negative YA attributes. I read a ton of romance novels and I disliked the copious amount of sex in this story.
..."

Please guys... please try Book 2... also Soo I always noticed you around the place and liked you very much☺️ I've added the Blacksmith Queem...
Also, if you don't want to continue after that, I will take it meekly and won't convince. But perhaps you will even give Book 2 a 3.5 ⭐️

message 26: by Zaara (last edited Mar 02, 2020 10:04PM) (new)

Zaara | 4105 comments Uuuuh odear, i wrote an essay....
😂😂😂
Been a while...

EDIT i swear I am already wondering what the evil baby will "steal" for Sunsurge.

2nd edit: @Barry...friended you, please accept.

message 27: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments 2020 is the year that I want to re-read books. There are a bunch of stories that I love but haven't read in a long time. Re-reading Wheel of Time by audio has made me realize how much fun it is to get back into old favs in a new format.

Even with speed listening, this book was like torture. This review by a stranger does a nice job of summarizing what I did not enjoy. Nick Podehl was great. That made it possible to enjoy certain sections of the story.

Zaara, I'm sure we'll be in other BRs. I don't need to love every book but the things you mentioned do not make me want to read #2 or any other work by this author.

Blacksmith Queen was good fun. I enjoyed the audiobook. It's what I consider light reading. Great characters, lots of humor, some action and enough setting to make a solid intro for a series. The writer created a story that worked within the setting she made. That was my takeaway but this book received 50/50 response from those who read it in that BR. No one had a luke warm response. They either liked it or didn't. I thought that was interesting thing to note.

message 28: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I like the series. But I like books that demand cooperation and attention to details. And I really don't mind long, detailed expositions provided that it is worth it (there is a reason why I adore Malazan so much).

Having said this, not every book is for everybody. I have too many 1-star reviews under my belt not to appreciate this fact. :)

Happy reading, Soo!

message 29: by Zaara (last edited Mar 03, 2020 10:09AM) (new)

Zaara | 4105 comments Soo wrote: "2020 is the year that I want to re-read books. There are a bunch of stories that I love but haven't read in a long time. Re-reading Wheel of Time by audio has made me realize how much fun it is to ..."

*great huge shout of laughter*
I actually made you dock a star!
:D
*wry*
No my dear no-nonsense Soo, I guessed those reasons wouldn't weigh with you, but had to try, even knowing I will be firmly (but kindly) asked to set meself down...
*grins agn*

You are very incisive. It is one of the things I like best abt you. That and the confidence + (and I guess you will hotly disagree with this) your innocence.

What I was trying to say (very ineffectively?) was that I am on the side of the debate where it is more important to be kind than to be right. Technical proficiency is dime a dozen in this saturated market. "Heart" and this kind of eager, unabashed homage and (in your eyes, clumsy?) play with Story is worth more... *shrugs* but this is only what I feel. I spent many years on your side of the line before I radically migrated. It is also why I love and defend The Broken Empire :D with a Great, Ghastly Adoration.
+ truth told, I was (secretly) also afraid that @Siobhan will lurk this thread and get put off/ never restart the series... because I am waiting for her to.

Yep... Nick Pohdehl's great, I especially liked his rustly Gurvon voice!
Recommend me a favourite standalone romance, please and I promise to get to it. I usually read historical romances but am willing to try anything.

EDIT
And this is a very loving *kick*...you do not find WoT repetitive, in terms of editing?
😈 couldn't resist... don't kill meeeeee....

message 30: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Done.

I was gonna give up the series and give this book maybe a 2 Star at the most due to the reasons I’ve mentioned previously, but the final 2 chapters kinda make it up a little bit. (view spoiler)

I think I will at least read the 2nd book. So, If nobody else is reading I may just start next week.

message 31: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments I think there are people who are going into book 2.

Your comments about Kazim made me laugh. Ha!

message 32: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Haha, I literally smacked my head when I read that part on Kazim. But then,I guess if you’re blinded by hatred, you’d eat up even the most incredulous conspiracy theories, I guess.

message 33: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments LoL

I wasn't surprised by it because "most incredulous" seemed to be the standard quota for the plot reasoning in the book.

My fav part was the small backstory about the mages.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 990 comments I'm starting today.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 990 comments I just finished. I listened to it over the past two days at work. I enjoyed this one. I liked most of the characters and story lines and if anyone wants to continue with book 2 I'm up for it. I'll be a little slower on that one unless I buy the audio. I own a physical copy of book 2 I bought used awhile back.

message 36: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Apparently there’s another group who’s supposed to start the 3rd book this March 10.

@ Elizabeth : do you wanna catch up the other group and start on the 2nd book like early next week? We can just use the thread for the Jan 10 BR.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 990 comments I'm on the app right now but can request a new thread for us when I'm back on computer. We can start Monday?

message 38: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I just started it... The prologue was very disturbing, up to Ch. 3... I hope I like Elena right away, I dislike the world as a whole, since it obviously is not a nice place to live... I am intrigued by the magic and the religion, and I personally love political intrigue, so it seems promising to me :-)

message 39: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @Elizabeth : we can just use the thread for the previous BR. yes, Monday is fine with me.

message 40: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Just read Aleron's thesis and I have a feeling this scene was very important... Didn't see that much cerebral thinking coming from him. He is making me take him more seriously and I wonder if he is actually right...

I still don't have the feel of the magic, apart from its strength being directly derived from the concentration in the blood. I am still a bit confused where the scary lady from the prologue fits in though...

message 41: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments I called her the crone when I was reading the book. Just put her to the side and it'll be obvious when she comes back into the story.

message 42: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments Choko wrote: "I just started it... The prologue was very disturbing, up to Ch. 3... I hope I like Elena right away, I dislike the world as a whole, since it obviously is not a nice place to live... I am intrigue..."

Choko, I’m so happy you’re reading it as I immediately thought about you when we were reading this with the first group.

message 43: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments Barry wrote: "@Elizabeth : we can just use the thread for the previous BR. yes, Monday is fine with me."

It’s great news! This way we will read book 3 together!

message 44: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I am going to try to catch up with you guys too:-)

message 45: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch. 16... Is it OK that I am not too fond of Kazim? He is just so... limited! Pretty, strong, with manly prowess, but not very bright, is he? And I honestly don't feel sorry for the retches who are marching on the City - I don't respect massive actions without a plan, and there is only emotion that leads this rabble... There has to be some planning and realistic thinking behind such movements... Ghhhrrrr!

message 46: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments I don't know if anyone likes Kazim.

Did anyone else reading the story like Kazim? I felt some sympathy for him at the beginning but that's about it. Kazim is rather shallow.

message 47: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I hated him in book 1.

message 48: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments OK, so my feelings are not out of nowhere... If I am on the girl's place, I would get as much knowledge from her husband and stop pining over Kazim, but I realize it is easier said than done... She is so young and these are her first experiences as an adult... I am surprised she is taking the situation with as much poise as she is already. But I am just not enamored with him at all...

message 49: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 07, 2020 11:47AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments If Kazim is who I think he is, he's much more palatable by book 3... bit of a redemption arc, kinda...

message 50: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3567 comments Kazim is the original fiance for Ramita.. She was the young teen that gets sold & married to the older Mage.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mage's Blood (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Hair (other topics)