Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Blades
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Staveley - The Emperor's Blades [Feb 26, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
The Emperor's Blades - Brian Staveley
The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1) by Brian Staveley
February 26, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

message 2: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4197 comments In.

Loriidae | 257 comments Having read the reactions of everyone towards the delay of the spinoff series, I am definitely intrigued.

Anni | 5020 comments I'll try to join as well :)

Twila | 142 comments I'd love to join in on this as well! Been meaning to read it forever.

message 6: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4197 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'll try to join as well :)"

🎉🎉🎉

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments This book is $2.99 on Kindle today!

message 8: by Athena (new) - added it

Athena (OneReadingNurse) (onereadingnurse) | 5 comments I have the series but haven't jumped into it yet, would love to join!

Tammie | 3995 comments Athena wrote: "I have the series but haven't jumped into it yet, would love to join!"

You are welcome to join us.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments I'll try to join in for this.

message 11: by Zaara (last edited Feb 01, 2020 01:49AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4197 comments Veronica wrote: "I'll try to join in for this."

Hello you! Gosh its been ages....

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Zaara wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I'll try to join in for this."

Hello you! Gosh its been ages...."

Hey! Yeah, I've not really been online much since early November-ish. Haven't really been reading much either other than a few audiobooks. Trying to get back into a reading rhythm. :-)

message 13: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments I may join in on this if Im looking for something to read around this time since I already own the ebook.

message 14: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4197 comments jess wrote: "I may join in on this if Im looking for something to read around this time since I already own the ebook."

Whoopp...you HAVE to come...its been too long since Broken Empire....I'm gluing you to the sofa again....no escape from Oonaaugh...Jessaaaaa...*cue fiendish laugh track*

@Ron...I HAD been thinking of you.......not being polite...really mean that...I don't think we ever read anything together after North and South. I saw you went into a post-Malazan decline :D
*grins*
Huuh! I was off GR for about eight months UNTIL Sept/Oct...so I guess we mighta just missed each other...had a slow reading year too last year...good to see you both here!!

❤️❤️

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Zaara wrote: "@Ron...I HAD been thinking of you.......not being polite...really mean that...I don't think we ever read anything together after North and South. I saw you went into a post-Malazan decline :D."

Wow, you were gone a long time. I definitely missed being around. :-)

Yeah, my Malazan decline. Totally due to the fact that the last two books were hitting right around the time real life amps up for the holidays and I usually slow down with my reading anyways. I do need to get back to them soon though or I'll forget everything!

Glad we're both back and will be doing this BR.

message 16: by Athena (new) - added it

Athena (OneReadingNurse) (onereadingnurse) | 5 comments Can't wait to jump into this! Are you guys doing a reading schedule or free falling it? I couldn't keep up with the talk in one group as 20+ different people are all over parts of a hugely long book discussing different parts 😳 but totally ready for this!

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments I was actually wondering the same thing as Athena. I recently realized I owned this book (but have never read it) and am definitely considering joining the BR.

Tammie | 3995 comments Just read at your own pace. Most people make note of what chapter they are commenting on, or what percent of the book they are at.

Loriidae | 257 comments Chapter numbers or percentages are a must as it lets people know whether or not to open a spoiler tag.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7223 comments Mod
Loved this book!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I finished my last audiobook so I'm going to be starting this one a little early. Probably tomorrow.

message 22: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments I will be late as Im finished BRing Towers of Midnight, of WOT fame.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments I'll be starting a bit early too because I have another BR coming on the heels of this one.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1033 comments I'll probably start early as well. I'm most likely finishing my other Kindle book tomorrow and will start this after that

Twila | 142 comments I think I'll start early as well since I'm way ahead on the BRs of the current books I'm reading. I need to slow down, so I'll probably start this tomorrow, lol.

message 26: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Twila wrote: "I think I'll start early as well since I'm way ahead on the BRs of the current books I'm reading. I need to slow down, so I'll probably start this tomorrow, lol."

Haha, I'm the opposite... As I'm behind in my other BRs (Sword of Kaigen for example 😅) I guess I will be late for this one as well.

Also here we finally have our BR together Zaara! Yay!

message 27: by Veronica (last edited Feb 23, 2020 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments I'm only up through chapter 7 but I'm really liking the writing style so far and the set up for the story. **not really spoilery** (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3995 comments I'll be starting this as soon as I'm done with Spinning Silver.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments I'm through chapter 24 now and still enjoying the story quite bit. I like all the POV characters. I am disappointed, however, that there are so few Adare POV chapters. (view spoiler)

Twila | 142 comments Oh wow, Veronica! You're flying through!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments I know, I hadn't meant to go through it so quickly but it just flows pretty well. I'll turn my attention to another book for a couple of days to let others get started. :-)

message 32: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Let me just say that starting this, Im like, “what the heck?” Because it wasnt what I was expecting...

To be clear, Im only on page 15...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments It wasn't what I expected either. Given the title, I was expecting more of an immediate revenge/avenge-type of tale.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments (Chapter Four)

While I've barely started it feels like a lot has already happened. The tone set in the prologue alone let's you know what kind of journey you're beginning.

(view spoiler)

I've enjoyed each point of view character so far but I don't feel as though I have a firm grasp on them yet. Looking forward to continuing tomorrow.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments If I've noted correctly...

Kaden is 17
Jalyn is 16(ish)
Adare is 19

message 36: by Navi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments WOW! I just read the first six chapters. This must be the best start to a fantasy book I've read in a long time. I think I am going to love this book! (view spoiler)

message 37: by Navi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Loved this book!"

Your review got me hyped for this book, Niki!

message 38: by Navi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Haha, I'm the opposite... As I'm behind in my other BRs (Sword of Kaigen for example 😅) I guess I will be late for this one as well."

I'm in the same boat as you, Anni! I put this book down a few weeks ago and for some reason have not picked it back up again :(

message 39: by Navi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Veronica wrote: "I'm only up through chapter 7 but I'm really liking the writing style so far and the set up for the story. **not really spoilery** [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Totally agree with you about this! So refreshing to see in fantasy

message 40: by Navi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Sterling wrote: "(Chapter Four)

While I've barely started it feels like a lot has already happened. The tone set in the prologue alone let's you know what kind of journey you're beginning.

[spoilers removed]

I'v..."

(view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1891 comments I might jump into this late, if you don't mind; I read the first novel last year and want to read the whole trilogy after getting the other books for Christmas.

message 42: by Veronica (last edited Feb 26, 2020 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I might jump into this late, if you don't mind; I read the first novel last year and want to read the whole trilogy after getting the other books for Christmas."

By all means, jump aboard! :-)

I haven't even finished yet and I've already ordered the second book.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Navi wrote: "WOW! I just read the first six chapters. This must be the best start to a fantasy book I've read in a long time. I think I am going to love this book! The writing is amazing and even though there a..."

I know what you mean, Navi. I was quite taken with it very early on too.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments Navi wrote: " [spoilers removed]
"

-
(Finished chapter 9 and the spoiler is for chapter 8)

(view spoiler)

I'm really enjoying this book so far. Excited to watch the main characters continue to develop.

message 45: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm looking forward to start this one in a couple of days, seeing how excited everyone is :)

Tammie | 3995 comments I just started this. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll like it.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Anni and Tammie, I hope you both enjoy it. I've found that it reads pretty fast and I really like the author's writing style. It just flows well, IMO. I would've finished days ago but I'm trying to pace myself. And I actually really like all the POV characters...which is rare for me.

Twila | 142 comments I'm just about to start. I have a good feeling about this one :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3502 comments Look forward to your thoughts, Twila!

I'm through chapter 38 now...

(view spoiler)

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments (Through chapter 13, spoiler for chapter 11)

The writing here is excellent, evoking complex and occasionally conflicting emotions within a single chapter.

(view spoiler)

Stavely continues to deliver through the beginning stretch.

« previous 1 3 4