Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Gaiman - American Gods [Jan 26, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 28, 2020 05:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman
January 26, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

Shaitarn | 1891 comments Marking my spot!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1034 comments Hey Jenna, I must have hit a button wrong when I was filling in the request for this one, We were going to be starting tomorrow 1/26/2020. Sorry!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1034 comments I just started this one, the edition that I'm reading is the 10th anniversary edition, and the author's note at the beginning says it has about 12,000 more words than the original. Not sure what edition you guys are reading but I may have scenes that you don't.

Shaitarn | 1891 comments I have the 'author's preferred text' version which is apparently just the same.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Hey Jenna, I must have hit a button wrong when I was filling in the request for this one, We were going to be starting tomorrow 1/26/2020. Sorry!"

Fixed. :)

message 7: by Shaitarn (last edited Jan 28, 2020 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shaitarn | 1891 comments Finished part 1, and I have to say I'm not enjoying it. It's just coming across as incredibly dull. My problem is Shadow and Wednesday both seem really boring; Shadow has virtually no agency at all: he's told go here, go there, and he just does it without any deviation or asking too many questions.

I enjoyed chapter 7 (view spoiler)

I also liked chapter 8 in the funeral parlor (view spoiler)

These little sections are quite entertaining, but the main story is leaving me cold.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1034 comments I enjoyed both those chapters too. I'm on chapter 14. I've been switching between kindle and audio. There are parts I like and parts that are boring though I think it's getting somewhat better. I was upset when (view spoiler)

Just a general thought/theory (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1891 comments Finished; the ending (view spoiler) was interesting but as a whole I didn't enjoy the book.

It was quite a frustrating read; there were parts of the book that I really enjoyed - like Shadow's time in Laketown - but overall the story just didn't work for me. I think one of the problems was Shadow seemed curiously blank as a character (view spoiler), particularly when he was interacting with Wednesday. I preferred the side characters.

I don't want to spoil the end for you; I'm curious as to what you make of it.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1034 comments finished last night. I'll post some thoughts later.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1034 comments I agree that parts were good, then parts just fell flat. I liked the last part in Laketown (view spoiler) Overall I felt kind of 'eh' about it.

This is only my second book by this author. I read Neverwhere a few years ago and enjoyed that one, then I've seen the show for Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

Chris | 75 comments I started this book and only just finished Chapter 1. I see you two are done, so I'm excited to read thoughts once I get there. I'm way behind, I should've opened this thread to see the date change. Thought this really was scheduled for December back when I first saw it. Lol

I will say that the ending of Chapter 1 was probably the strangest thing I've ever read. Not really sure what to make of the book yet, and I've never read Gaiman before, but we'll see where this goes.

message 13: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5399 comments I am still thinking about reading it too... So I might keep you company (•‿•)

Chris | 75 comments Choko wrote: "I am still thinking about reading it too... So I might keep you company (•‿•)"

I haven't read enough of it yet to make a pitch to ya, but feel free! :) I'm four chapters in, but should make some good progress this morning before I go to bed.

Chris | 75 comments I just finished this. So much to unpack with this book with all the metaphors and the unraveling that happens at the end, but I really, really liked this book.

Gaimin noted in his introduction at the beginning that people seemed to very much have a "hate it" or "love it" reception to this book, and I guess that's true with the split here and among the reviews. Lol

message 16: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 45 comments I read this a while ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Chris, I'm curious about the metaphors you refer to.

message 17: by Chris (last edited Apr 08, 2020 11:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris | 75 comments Ryan wrote: "I read this a while ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Chris, I'm curious about the metaphors you refer to."

Hey Ryan! I could be interpreting things completely wrong, and probably missing stuff too, but (view spoiler)

Rambled a bit there, so I apologize. I threw it all into a spoiler text since there is a lot of information in there too. I may be overthinking and creating stuff that wasn't intended by the author, but I appreciate the trails of thought it lead me down anyway.

Edit: On another note, have you or anyone else seen the tv series for this? I wasn't aware it was a thing until yesterday, but I may have to get a Hulu trail and check it out. Reviews seem alright.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 420 comments Chris wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I read this a while ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Chris, I'm curious about the metaphors you refer to."

Hey Ryan! I could be interpreting things completely wrong, and probably miss..."

I have watched the TV series and think it is good. I was trying to read American Gods last year but DNF it. I was halfway through and it was getting harder to remain interested in the story due to its long and boring chapters. I blame it on the 10th anniversary edition, I just wished I had read the regular(shortened) version.

Chris | 75 comments Aakash wrote: "Chris wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I read this a while ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Chris, I'm curious about the metaphors you refer to."

Hey Ryan! I could be interpreting things completely wrong, and..."

Least you liked the show! I liked the guy who plays Shadow from his character in The 100, so that caught my interest too. If I catch myself bored and craving something to watch, I may give it a run, if I can handle the content anyway. Lol I can read stuff a lot easier than watch it.

message 20: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 45 comments Thanks for the expanded thoughts, Chris. A lot of good stuff in there! I think I caught maybe half of that on my first read. Unfortunately, the book wasn't compelling enough for me to consider a reread.

Chris | 75 comments Ryan wrote: "Thanks for the expanded thoughts, Chris. A lot of good stuff in there! I think I caught maybe half of that on my first read. Unfortunately, the book wasn't compelling enough for me to consider a re..."

No problem, and completely fair! I can admit there really isn't a lot that happens in the meat of the novel as far as twists and big climaxes and such. It's certainly not as fast-paced or content-heavy as other books I've read. I think it's a tribute to Gaiman's prose to still keep me invested personally.

His style just does it for me. I started and am enjoying Anansi Boys as well despite it being pretty different than American Gods. I have to read more of him to be extra sure I suppose, but Gaiman has been a pleasure to read so far.