Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1)
This topic is about Aurian
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Aurian [Mar 19, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
Aurian - Maggie Furey
Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1) by Maggie Furey
March 19, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

Shaitarn | 1891 comments I'll be starting this one after finishing the second in her other series, probably tomorrow.

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments I wanted to join this too but I'm still reading a couple of others at the moment..

message 4: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1033 comments Going to say I'm only about 20 pages in and already having trouble picking this book up. I'm going to read a few chapters at least, but I'm thinking that this author just isn't for me.

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments That's a shame Elizabeth! I read this whole series when I was 14 and remember loving it, so we'll see if that's still the same as an adult!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1033 comments I'm only 5 or so chapters in, but I'm quitting this one. As I said, I was having trouble picking it up, and when I did pick it up it was a struggle to read even 10 pages. After this last book I read by the author I just don't see this as worth continuing. I won't be reading this author again.

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Fair enough Elizabeth! It's not fun forcing yourself to read something you don't find interesting.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1033 comments Hope you guys have better luck than me!

Shaitarn | 1891 comments I.m just about to start this. I enjoyed it when I read it years ago so I'm hoping I still do!

message 10: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I.m just about to start this. I enjoyed it when I read it years ago so I'm hoping I still do!"

Same! I'm fancying a change from fantasy so gonna read another book first then start this after.

message 11: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hope you guys have better luck than me!"

Thanks!

Shaitarn | 1891 comments I started this yesterday and have polished off 23 chapters, so yes, I'm enjoying it! Despite the size of this novel, it doesn't feel like an epic fantasy (which I count as Tolkien, Jordan, etc.).

Aurian herself is certainly a 'girl with all the gifts' - multi-talented mage and swordmistress. And yet she doesn't annoy me as such characters usually do; I don't know if that's because she's not angsting or a saintly teen who cares about everyone else, but whichever, it makes a pleasant change from the other Mary-Sue's I've been spending far too much time with lately.

The story seems predictable in the way that something by Terry Brooks or David Gemmell would be, but I am still enjoying it - a sort of book comfort food.

message 13: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Damn you blasted through most of it Shaitarn!

I'm up to chapter 6 and if I remember rightly, that's where it starts to get a bit more interesting as she's grown up now. I'm finding the writing quite old-fashioned and it's been an ok read so far but I think it's mostly nostalgia driving me rather than any need to know what happens. I sort of remember a vague outline of the story..

Aurian herself is certainly a 'girl with all the gifts'

Definitely- yeah she managed to bring forth rain so easily despite not being trained in weather magic... ok then lol.

It does contain ALL the tropes as well lol, so as you said very predictable. Though I've not read any Brooks or Gemmell so can't compare. It's "alright" for me at the moment but I hope I start enjoying it more once it gets more into the story.

message 14: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Up to Chapter 11.

Poor Anvar! I remember loving him and he was treated horribly by nearly everyone.

This is slow going for me, I'm not enjoying it as much as I did when I was younger :( I'm waiting for Aurian to realise Miathan is evil so the story can move along more and get more interesting...

Sort of regretting buying the whole series now, I'm not sure I'm gonna be interested enough to continue with the rest!

message 15: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1891 comments Chapter 11:(view spoiler)

message 17: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Unfortunately, I just can't do this Shaitarn. I got up to Aurian and Anvar fleeing on the ship and I literally can't take it anymore, it' so boring. Safe to say my tastes have outgrown these books. I'm abandoning it so I can read something more scintillating whilst being stuck in quarantine lol.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1033 comments Well you made it farther than I did.

message 19: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Well you made it farther than I did."

Lol, at least that's something I suppose!

Shaitarn | 1891 comments Beena wrote: "Unfortunately, I just can't do this Shaitarn. I got up to Aurian and Anvar fleeing on the ship and I literally can't take it anymore, it' so boring. Safe to say my tastes have outgrown these books...."

I don't blame you - it read much better when I was younger!

message 21: by Beena (new) - rated it 1 star

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments I don't blame you - it read much better when I was younger!

Yeah, I loved it when I was younger! I think it served as an introduction to fantasy and we've just moved on a LOT since then.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Aurian (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maggie Furey (other topics)