Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Heart of Myrial (Shadowleague, #1)
This topic is about The Heart of Myrial
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Heart of Myrial [Feb 19, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
The Heart of Myrial - Maggie Furey
The Heart of Myrial (Shadowleague, #1) by Maggie Furey
February 19, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I'll be here if I manage to squeeze it in between other books

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I may be a day or two late starting.

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7205 comments Mod
Omg I remember loving this one!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments that's a good sign Niki!

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Just finished my last book so I'll be starting this shortly!

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Just crossed the halfway point and I don't know why but it's really not grabbing me. If the second half doesn't pick up I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the trilogy.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm starting this today.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments Shaitarn, your comments worry me. I am starting tonight and plan to be done over the weekend. My last book was mediocre and I hoped for a good vintage to wash the residue down.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm holding out hope because of Niki, we agree on a lot of books so...

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I also saw that the series improves with each book.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Don't let my comments put you off; by all usual standards I should be thoroughly entertained, so I think this is a case of 'it's not the book, it's me'. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain books that at other times I would adore.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments Well, I started and what do I see? Dragons. Meh.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Halfway through chapter 2. So many types of creatures to try to keep straight...

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments Chapter 2 menagerie was a welcome change after the dragons. I have to say that the worldbuilding is very inventive regarding the artificially set up wildlife park that comes apart as we begin the journey.

My late-night ruminations indicate that (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments OK, here is what I do not understand:

This world has been built in order to keep these various species separate from each other lest they go on a killing spree. The curtain walls were supposed to keep them aparat. And yet, the Shadowleague is formed comprising of the representatives of the different species. How did they do it? Did they establish it before the walls started crumbling (if so, how were the barriers overcome?) or after it happened and thus they are a relatively new, grassroots ogranisation so to speak?

I might have been reading too fast because I am at a loss. Can somebody please enlighten me?

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Mayim wrote: "OK, here is what I do not understand:

This world has been built in order to keep these various species separate from each other lest they go on a killing spree. The curtain walls were supposed to..."

I think Shadowleague members have magical powers or devices given to them by the Ancients to cross the barriers? It could be poor world building as I can't remember if it was ever specified. I think we're meant to assume that the Loremasters are'special' and can do things normal mortals can't.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Finished, and I'm not sure what I thought of it. I think it picked up in the second half of the book and held my attention.

I think the beginning was so rainy and dreary, it put me off a bit. It took a long time to get started and there were perhaps too many characters in the story. I've read books with a multiple cast of characters before, but they generally appeared in longer novels and were given more personality and a chance to shine.

I'll probably read the other books (I already have them on my shelves), I just hope they have a lesser cast of characters and take place in a drier country!

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I am in chapter 13.

I was similarly surprised by this extensive cast when each chapter started with a new POV. While I do not care about most of them, I had to say that these are cleverly plotted and planned in how they all interconnect in things big and small. This has a very genuine touch to it because life is weaved like that.

Then, around chapter 10 I was relieved (if this is a correct word) (view spoiler)

The only thing I truly hate is the imbecile apprentice. WHY is the YA neeed here? I want more of the frenemies vibes, not the whole coming of age nonsense. As it is, I am nearly halfway through and the two mutually hating each other shadowleaguers have not even met when I hoped for sparks flying already in chapter 1...

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Here's the thing: (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm at chapter 12 and think it's starting to pick up more. (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I'm at chapter 12 and think it's starting to pick up more. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Despite not particularly liking this book are either of you interested in buddy reading the others? I intend to read them just to finish the trilogy.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Out of town for the weekend and left the book at home. I won't be reading anymore until sometime Sunday.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments You know me well, I intend to finish this thing. I am not one to balk out :)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Are you interested in us making it a buddy read then, Mayim? We can either complain together (won't be the first time) or both be pleasantly surprised (I'm not holding my breath for that, though).

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments Oh, I'd love to buddy hate this series with you! so much fun! and also, contrary to what you might expect, I never abandon the hope that the author can be hijacked by the aliens improve

message 28: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Can I join you ladies? This series has been on my TBR for a long time after Nikki recommended it. I'll just finish this book fast so I can join you for 2 on the 19th if you'll have me.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments the more the merrier, though we are a bit disappointed so far

message 30: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Mayim wrote: "the more the merrier, though we are a bit disappointed so far"

Damn. I'll check your reviews first then.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments You know you're always welcome to read with us, Laura!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I was finally able to finish the first one. I wasn't impressed. The last couple chapters picked up some, but I won't be continuing. I have too many other books I want to read.

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7205 comments Mod
Oh bummer! It’s a shame it didn’t land well. I read this when I was 16 before I really got into more than classic fantasy, so I’m sure that played a factor in how much I liked it. I’ve wondered if it would stand up to scrutiny these days. It sounds like not. :/

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments LOL, don't worry. We all have these books. I am actually secretly very glad that GR was invented only after I had ceased to be an adolescent.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments I'm sure we've all had the 'wow, younger me had really bad taste!' re-read! :D

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments This weekend when I went on my book buying adventure I saw a series I loved in highschool. One of my friends bought books 1-2 when I told her it was one of my favorites then. I hope younger me had okay taste with that series at least.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I saw there is another Furey scheduled for March. I’ll definitely pass that one. I need to finish this first and check whether there is hope for her.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments It's funny, I really loved Furey's first series, The Artifacts of Power, when it was originally released (I think I mentally marked it as (view spoiler)). I bought this series on the strength of it, so I'm curious as to whether I still feel the same way about the first series. The re-read will reveal all, I guess!

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Right, I'm starting book 2.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I'll be right behind! Be brave and keep me posted! :D

Shaitarn | 1887 comments 3 chapters in (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1887 comments This book seems to have an odd hydra-like quality - for every point I like, two points I don't like sprout up.

Chapters 4 - 5: (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments You’re flying. I was hijacked by mr de Vries to watch a movie with him tonight.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments My husband's away down south at the moment (his mum's in hospital) so I have time!

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments Ah, the bliss. We are sequestered at home due to the general coronavirus lockdown and while I thought this means a lot of reading time, I was sadly mistaken.

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I reached chapter 3! Are you far ahead? I think I like Blade best so far. But I also have hopes for Seriema (is that her name?). I don’t think I like Veldan too much.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments I'm on chapter 25 and hope to finish this tomorrow. I didn't update because I'm still not enjoying this very much and also because some days I just don't feel like communicating, if that makes any sense...

I will leave a comment soon, I promise!

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments No worries! I’m on chapter 10 and I enjoy it slightly more than the previous but mostly I’m cheering for the coup at the moment.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Some more thoughts about this:

Characters: (view spoiler)

Tormon, Seriema, Scall & co. (view spoiler)

Gilarra, Galveron and Aliana (view spoiler)

Veldan & the Shadowleague: (view spoiler)

Overall I liked it more than the first book (damning with faint praise, I know) and hope that the third book will have a stonking payoff. I'm still a little disappointed with how little of the rest of the world we've seen, though; I was hoping we'd more of the other races homes (especially the selkies - I have a soft spot for selkies).

Mayim de Vries | 2891 comments I am ever so sorry it took me so long to respond! This whole quarantine (I'm at home since March 12!) proves to be a very busy time for me and I am galled to discover that I have more difficulties in finding goodreads time than normally.

Character-wise, I was very frustrated that this time the POV changes are so frequent that the narrative alternates also within the chapters. I really think it is high time to go on a killing spree.

Tormon and co. Very boring. (view spoiler)

The besieged city (view spoiler)

Shadowleague: (view spoiler)

All in all, I also hoped we could see more of the world. The short glimpse into the dargon realm and the infodump within the Timeless Void (or whatever the magic bag is) was too little to appease me. But, like you, I liked this one better (or I toned down my expectations).

Can we read the final one in May? My April is brutal.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heart of Myrial (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maggie Furey (other topics)