Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)
This topic is about Across the Nightingale Floor
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Hearn - Across the Nightingale Floor [Jan 19, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn
January 19, 2020.
Requested by Elizabeth.

Bill | 2130 comments I literally just started this yesterday. I will jump in the discussion.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Marking my spot!

message 4: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am sure I read it in my pre-GR era.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Started! I'll put down some detailed thoughts later (hopefully). I'm liking it so far.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments I'm still in chapter 1. Not super thrilled with it so far, but we'll see.

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments For some reason I thought this thread was a typo, and was actually the 2nd book in Kevin Hearne's new series (which I DNF'd)...

But since it's not, I'll probably join this... all 4 audiobooks + the prequel are on Hoopla (just not the newest book and short story)

Bill | 2130 comments I’m hoping you all like it enough to continue so I can do the sequels with you.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I have the first five books on my shelf so will certainly be continuing them!

message 10: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 19, 2020 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments I started...

Initially, the writing reminds me of fairytale-type books I've read... Sevenwaters, Bear and the Nightingale, etc...

The female POV kinda reminded me of Book of the Ancestors for some reason...

I'm only 15-20% in, so far...

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments Bill wrote: "I’m hoping you all like it enough to continue so I can do the sequels with you."

I'm only on chapter 2, so this might change, but unless it picks up I won't be continuing after this one.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments Just finished chapter 2. I definitely like Kaede more than Takeo

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I have the first five books on my shelf so will certainly be continuing them!"

Awesome. Like Iain I’m going to get them through Hoopla.

Elizabeth wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’m hoping you all like it enough to continue so I can do the sequels with you."

I'm only on chapter 2, so this might change, but unless it picks up I won't be continuing after this one."

I thought the pacing picked up after the initial introduction phase of the characters. Hope it does for you too.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments I'm now in chapter 6 and it has switched which character I like more. At this point not sure if I'll continue, but it has improved from my earlier post.

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments This book felt super short and straightforward... kinda like a parable about how actions have consequences, or something...

I don't really have much to say about it, but I'm open to continuing...

3 enjoyable stars...

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Finished. Of the two main characters I found Takeo the more interesting; at first Kaede came across as a bit shallow and weak, but I think some of that was owing to her she was brought up and the fact that she was deliberately kept weak (not being taught how to use weapons, and so on).

I found the writing a bit stark and basic - it did the job but didn't tell us any more than it had to, but I don't mind that if it fits the story.

Does anyone have a preferred time to continue reading these? I can probably fit in most people's plans.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments I'm on chapter 9, will either finish later tonight or tomorrow. from where I'm at now I don't think I'll continue past this book. I like some parts, but others just seem so dull with not a lot happening.

message 18: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I’m out of Hoopla loans for the month so earliest I can do it is February 1st. I’m up for anytime after that.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I'd be up for reading the rest either in February or April (March would be a bit tight); I'd also be happy to blitz throught them one straight after the other if anyone else would like to do that.

As an aside, did anyone else think the abilities the Tribe had (view spoiler)

message 20: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I’d be up for blitzing through them. It looks like the 4th and 5th books are about double the length of the 1st few but if they read like this one they should still be pretty quick reads.

I agree about the tribe(view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments chapter 12. It's definitely gotten better. (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Elizabeth wrote: "chapter 12. It's definitely gotten better. [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments When are we continuing?... I picked up the next couple with my leftover borrows for January, so they're all due back on the 20th...

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I know Bill said he couldn't get the other reads until February at the earliest... Bill, are you ready to do this now? If so, we can do the rest of the series now if you like.

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I know Bill said he couldn't get the other reads until February at the earliest... Bill, are you ready to do this now? If so, we can do the rest of the series now if you like."

That's why I waited to ask until today :D :D :D

message 26: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Yeah I’m good to go. Thanks for waiting.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Shall we continue to use this thread for comments or ask for new ones (maybe with 5 days for each book, even though we probably won't need that long)?

message 28: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments That works for me.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Going for the easier option here (using this thread). Here's my thoughts:

Grass for His Pillow: Finished it a couple of hours ago. I enjoyed it, even though I would say it felt very much like a 'building' novel, laying the groundwork for the next book.

Kaede: (view spoiler)

Lord Fujiwara (view spoiler)

Takeo: (view spoiler)

Takeo & Kaede(view spoiler)

I still find the prose acceptable without being exceptional. I'm expecting the next book to have a lot of action.

message 30: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I’m 3 hours in and (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Going for the easier option here (using this thread). Here's my thoughts:

Grass for His Pillow: Finished it a couple of hours ago. I enjoyed it, even though I would say it felt very much like a 'b..."

Agree with everything you said... I got to the end, and was like, this is the end?...

Quickly dropped my listening speed from 3x to 2.5x on this one, too... can't remember if I did that with the first one... (Could check if I commented on that :)

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments Bill wrote: "I’m 3 hours in and [spoilers removed]"

Agree with you, too, lol... part of why I just let the story slide over me, a bit, instead of paying close attention and trying to become super invested...

message 33: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I just finished and agree with all of Shaitarn's points. I think it's hard to know how I feel about this book before seeing what the playoffs are in the next one because definitely felt like the first half of the story.

This book is also very black and white in terms of the good guys and bad guys in how they treat people and I think I'm getting a bit bored of that. Maybe just too many books like that lately.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Brilliance of the Moon: Finished that more quickly than I anticipated. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments That was quick. I’ll start it after my current book.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I have Outlander lined up next, so there's no rush!

message 37: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Ok cool. I’ll probably read it tomorrow. Are you planning on reading the prequel too or just the 4 books in the main storyline?

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Yes, I want to finish the whole series (it's been sat on my bookshelf for years). So next it's book 4 and then the prequel (which I'm hoping will be better).

BTW, I know it's doubtful that ninjas in feudal Japan ever wore the black costume we all associate them with, but am I the only one who thinks these alternative covers for Grass for His Pillow are ridiculous? Grass For His Pillow (Tales Of The Otori) by Lian Hearn Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn
Can't help thinking a character in a purple or red bodysuit is really going to stand out.

message 39: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Ok great. I would like to do the prequel as well.

Really ridiculous covers. Not only would a ninja in those colors stand out but no one in the book was even described wearing a head wrap like that. Reminds me of the Dresden Files covers where he always has a wide brimmed hat on despite never wearing one in any of the 15 books.

message 40: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I started Brilliance of the Moon last night and am about 3 hours in. I’m having a really hard time getting into the story.

message 41: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Just finished Brilliance of the Moon (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I should finish Outlander over the weekend; how about we schedule book 4 for Monday?

message 43: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Monday works for me.

message 44: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 07, 2020 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments I'm near the end of Brilliance of the Moon, and don't have much to add... I probably wouldn't be continuing with these if I hadn't used my January credits on them... and I'm not sure that's enough, anymore...

I found the sex scene laughably quick, early in the book...

message 45: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I’m in the same situation Iain. I used my hoopla credits for the last two books before reading this one. To make matters worse book 4 is exactly twice as long as book 3. Going to try to go into it with a positive outlook. There is a time jump and some new issues so hoping for the best.

message 46: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 08, 2020 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14916 comments Bill wrote: "I’m in the same situation Iain. I used my hoopla credits for the last two books before reading this one. To make matters worse book 4 is exactly twice as long as book 3. Going to try to go into it ..."

Some reviews consider these first 3 books a trilogy, and the 4th and possible 5th books are extras... just like the prequel fills in details for Shigeru...

At this point, I'm calling it quits on Tales of the Otori... my ratings for the month are tanking, and I don't need any more subpar books... I have the benefit that I got these using January credits, and still have February credits to play with... I usually don't pre-borrow, in case this problem arises...

message 47: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments That’s too bad Iain but totally understandable.

I’ve had a really bad stomach virus the last few days and haven’t been able to read. I’m just starting to feel better and have one book to finish before I start book 4. So I’ll probably be starting around Thursday.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments I'm about halfway through. It's okay. By which I mean, it's not a bad read, but it's not a particularly good one either.

It's written in third person, which I think works better with the author's style, although I still have a few problems with it (I like descriptions and detail, so it's obvious I'm not going to get on well with it).

The kirin (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments This would have been a full three stars if it hadn't been for the ending. We mentioned the ending of the previous book; that's where the series should have ended. This one started off reasonably well (view spoiler)

The ending spoiled it; it felt rushed, as though the author had a final deadline rushing towards them or some sort of 'you can only write another XX words' limit imposed on them.

The whole ending (view spoiler)

I'm giving this two and a bit stars rounded up; I'm still going to read the prequel/sequel but it had better be an improvement on this!

message 50: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I'm going to start it today

« previous 1