Nature Calls discussion

current favorites

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Linda My new current favorite is Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. Somehow I had missed ever reading it, but I got to do so on a recent visit to Wisconsin (where the book is set). What are your favorite recent reads?

message 2: by Marla (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Marla Glenn Hi. I have recently been enjoying "Soaring with Fidel" by David Gessner. I'm glad to be reminded of Aldo Leopold, and will look up the other writer you mentioned. Thanks!

message 3: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Rebecca (rebeccakoconnor) | 21 comments Mod
Yes! I do need to pick up some Aldo Leopold and refresh my memory. I just read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson which is fiction, but has absolutely phenomenal landscape. Norway works nearly as a character in the book and that itself (and there's more reasons) made the book worth reading.

message 4: by P. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

P. Burns | 2 comments Just kicked off a couple of Annie Proulx books (Close Range and Bad Dirt) and also A River Runs Through It (Norman F. Maclean). I liked Proulx better (a master), but Maclean was very good.

I just send a fan note to Michael Perry who wrote "Truck - A Love Story" and "Population 485". Only 30 pages into the former, but it really is that good.

I zipped through Electric Koolaid Acid Test and it was a bummer.

Patrick

message 5: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

I DO love Annie Proulx. I read Bad Dirt just recently. I actually scoffed at "Truck - A Love Story" when a professor offered in in a stack of memoirs. But perhaps I should give it a chance...

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

That sounds like a great book, Nance! Guess I'm off to ABE Books.... and back. I should have it soon. :-) (This site is bad for my bank account)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay maybe these are not so current for me as I have already read them but, I thought I might share some of these books with you. Ecology of a Cracker Childhood by Janisse Ray, The Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill and Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. I was an outdoor educator/Naturalist for a while here in New York and we do alot of environmental programs as well as other programs conducted outdoors. Last Child in the Woods was introduced to me through the organization that I worked with. They kind of considered it required reading since it was in complete alignment with the work we did as Outdoor/Environmental Educators.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (liosaidh) | 1 comments The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs.

His writing is delectable; the language of a poet and the knowledge of a scientist.

message 9: by Lance (last edited Feb 04, 2008 11:33PM) (new)

Lance | 4 comments My favorites have got to be The Last Season by Eric Blehm. I really dig it. Great story, excellent writing. Next is Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. This is a classic. It goes by in a flash. I just could not put it down. Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey is an all time fav, too. It is fiction, but that was really the only way for Abbey to say what was really on his mind. I started Last Child in the Woods some time ago, but never finished.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahdanielson) | 1 comments I'm currently reading The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman and it is wonderful.

message 11: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 6 comments Anyone read Sky Time in Gray's River ...

No, haven't read this. Am a fan of Sigurd Olson and Edwin Way Teale. Currently reading Teale's "Springtime in Britain".

message 12: by Marian (new)

Marian (gramma) | 4 comments There is a series of books published every year called "The Best American Science & Nature Writing." This is the same outfit that published "The Best American short Stories."

It is a good way to discover new writers or writers that publish in magazines that not everyone has time to read. They also publish a list of publications of notable science & nature writing for that year.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) Linda Hasselstrom's "Land Circle" remains in my memory as an exquisite story about place (her ranch in South Dakota), love of the landscape and nature's role in human relationships.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) Yes! I love reading these essays, Marian. I enjoy learning about scientific topics that I would normally pass by if they weren't gathered in this kind of anthology. Good reminder to pick up 2007's Best.

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee I just finished read A Buffalo In The House by R.D. Rosen. It was excellent! I felt the author captured the trials of raising a buffalo while educating the reader on the history of the buffalo in America. I highly recommend this book!

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (librarydragon) | 2 comments I am re-reading Last Child in the Woods; Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. As an educator at a magnet school with an environmental focus we are constantly having to prove over and over why it is so important to continue our camping and outdoor program. Richard Louv makes quite a case! Has anyone read the new updated version?

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

I have read the updated version (after reading the first version), met Mr. Louv and have Cheryl Charles the president of the Children and Nature Network coming out to speak to our Girl Scout Council. Although not an educator(I'm a director of development)that's how profoundly the book affected the way I think about environmental education. I think it's amazingly thought provoking, provides simple solutions and really does make quite a case for the reasons we should implement these solutions. I would be interested to hear if the book influences any changes at your school or in your classroom!

message 18: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Rennicke | 1 comments I am a teacher at the Conserve School, an environmentaly-oriented college prep boarding school in northern WI. I've read Mr. Louv's book and welcome the wake up call it has sounded. Luckily, the school I work at has long had the wisdom to promote a connection with the environment in its education. We are on 1200 acres of near-wilderness and surrounded by actual designated wilderness (check us out at www.conserveschool.org). Yet just being "in the woods" does not guarantee that kids will connect with nature. I teach a lot of simple awareness techniques and get the students outside to read, hike, watch clouds, draw, listen, and think. The challenge we all have, I believe, is to simply make people aware of the world around them. The world, beautiful as it is, will take it from there.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice--

I've stocked both the first and the second editions of Last Child in the Woods at my bookstore at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. The second edition includes about 40 extra pages of supplementary material. First, Louv gives a short report about how the "Movement is Forming."Then he gives a detailed list of "100 Actions We Can Take. The actions are divided into the following categories: "Nature Activities for Kids and Families," "Suggestions for Transforming Our Communities." "Pursuits for Businesses, Attorneys, and Health Care Providers," "Ways Educators, Parent-Teacher Groups, and Students Can Promote Natural School Reform," "Goals for Government," and "Build the Movement." Finally there are Discussion Points for book groups, classrooms and communities.

My impression is that the basic text of the second edition hasn't changed from the first, but that the "update and expansion" exists in this rather substantial supplementary material. I haven't combed over the text for a close comparison, though.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Another comment for Outdoor Educators:

I am going to order two new titles for my shop that teachers on this list may find interesting. (I have not yet seen or read these books, so if you have, please let me know what you think of them!).
I've added these books to the Nature Calls "To Read" list:

Place-Based Education by David Sobel (published by the Orion Society)

Creating Outdoor Classrooms: Schoolyard Habitats and Gardens for the Southwest by Lauri Macmillan Johnson

(We might want to start a new thread for Outdoor Ed conversations?)

message 21: by Janice (new)

Janice (librarydragon) | 2 comments Thanks for the information Debra! I think this might be the perfect time to past on my first book to another staff member and get the updated edition.

message 22: by Scott (last edited Jul 25, 2008 06:23AM) (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles)

I used to teach fifth grade (elementary school) and now teach sixth grade (middle school where I am). When I taught fifth, I used several of Sobel's books for my place-based education. Here are a couple of other titles of his I liked:

Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the heart in nature education

Mapmaking with Children: Sense of Place Education for the Elementary Years

Children's Special Places: Exploring the Role of Forts, Dens, and Bush Houses in Middle Childhood

Of course, if you don't have a subscription to Orion, get one.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  (lauren_w) After hearing Wade Davis (ethnobotanist and anthropologist) give two lectures last year, I was immediately interested in his work studying plants and how people use the plants in different cultures around the world. He has studied extensively in South America, Haiti, Arctic Canada, and southeast Asia, and has a wonderful writing style that captures the scientific and mystical realm of plants. I just finished Light at the Edge of the World, which combines his notable photography as well as wonderful narratives about his research, and I have many of his other books in my queue.