Throne of Glass Box Set (Throne of Glass #0.5-7) Throne of Glass Box Set discussion

Throne of Glass series BR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 598 (598 new)    post a comment »
Β« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. This is gonna be fun!
Anna, Xandra, say hi to eachother πŸ˜‚

Alexandra Elend Wolf Mary wrote: "This is gonna be fun!
Anna, Xandra, say hi to eachother πŸ˜‚"

Well, hello there XD

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Okay I think we should all state our time zones so we get a clear picture of when we'd each be online.
I'm GMT++3:30.
Xandra you're GMT-6, right?
And I'm not sure about Anna's πŸ€”

Alexandra Elend Wolf Mary wrote: "Okay I think we should all state our time zones so we get a clear picture of when we'd each be online.
I'm GMT++3:30.
Xandra you're GMT-6, right?
And I'm not sure about Anna's πŸ€”"

Yep, I'm at GMT-6.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. K, everybody alive out there? How's 4 or 5 chapters for today?
It would be about 30 or 40 pages

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. If you can do more, we'll do more, if not let's go with that for now

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Hi, sorry, it's morning here (around 8:30am). Four chapters sounds good to me. :)

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. So you're GMT-5! Nice. Okay. Let's go with 4.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "So you're GMT-5! Nice. Okay. Let's go with 4."

Okay!!!! Sounds good.

Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Mary wrote: "This is gonna be fun!
Anna, Xandra, say hi to eachother πŸ˜‚"

Well, hello there XD"

Hi, Xandra. ^_^

Alexandra Elend Wolf 4 it is! XD

Hi Anna :D

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. K, imma leave my thoughts about the first 4 chapters here so you can read it whenever (I'll number them):

1) I can't believe there were so many details I didn't recall! Which is strange, because I have a pretty good memory. I was reading and then I'd go, β€œwait, was that there before?”
That's when I remembered that the first time I read this series I was depressed and just needed sth fun, so I probably skipped descriptive paragraphs in the first book. That's why I don't remember what Endovier looked like, even.

But here's a fanart :)

2) when Dorian was boasting about his father's empire, for a second I wanted to throttle him 😐 I hate that he thinks it's his right to conquer other lands and slave their occupants.

3) Anna, this one's for you: (view spoiler)

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "K, imma leave my thoughts about the first 4 chapters here so you can read it whenever (I'll number them):

1) I can't believe there were so many details I didn't recall! Which is strange, because I..."

That fanart is so pretty.

I'm not sure if that's what she was referring to. Maybe????

Also I love how Chaol is so annoyed with Celaena and Dorian is just like: AH. So what if she's a criminal???? I like her.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Anna, IKR, I missed these three πŸ˜‚ their dynamics just make my day.

Also, OMG Anna I realised who she was referring to! (view spoiler)

Alexandra Elend Wolf Ok. So I read the first chapter yesterday and then fell promptly asleep πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ I was deliriously exhausted. But I'll catch up today.

So far I'm really hooked up. Somehow, the writing feels pretty... magical, I guess is the word. Anyway, I do really like how she appears to be so capable and I can't wait to see her in action!

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Ok. So I read the first chapter yesterday and then fell promptly asleep πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ I was deliriously exhausted. But I'll catch up today.

So far I'm really hooked up. Somehow, the writing feels pret..."

Glad that you like it so far!!

Mary wrote: "@Anna, IKR, I missed these three πŸ˜‚ their dynamics just make my day.

Also, OMG Anna I realised who she was referring to! [spoilers removed]"

OHHHH! That makes sense. Nooo, you weren't being stupid.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. S'okay Xandra, I'm really really glad you're liking it 😍 I'm gonna wait and see how you feel, but to me the first book didn't have enough of the β€œassassin” if you know what I mean. But book two really made up for it!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. K so Sunday is over and we didn't read any chapters πŸ˜‚ how many are you guys good with for Monday? 4 again, or a little more, 6 maybe?

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "S'okay Xandra, I'm really really glad you're liking it 😍 I'm gonna wait and see how you feel, but to me the first book didn't have enough of the β€œassassin” if you know what I mean. But book two rea..."

Book two is one of my favorite ones in the series. It's so good.

I read a bit yesterday and I'm currently reading it...I'm on chapter 8, but I should get farther along. I'm at work but I'm reading, hahaha. Maybe we can have a goal to get to by Wednesday? So we have more time to hit a certain chapter?

Alexandra Elend Wolf I can see why you say it expands, Mer. So far I've gotten a glimpse of the whole Fae thing and I was not expecting that. Or the dragons. But is a nice surprise.

I kinda like the whole competition plot. I find them enjoyable so the book is shaping nicely XD

Dorian is quite interesting. What are his real intentions? I like him though. He's charming and seems to have good enough intentions. Though, whenever someone calls him by his full name, Havilliard, I can't take him seriously. It's just that to me Havilliard doesn't sound like a regal enough name for a royal family.

Which is another thing entirely. Some of the surnames are just plain hilarious. I don't know why some authors do that, clashing things into a surname that describes the person and calling it a day.

The whole plot with her powers is gonna become important, I can tell, but I also don't think is gonna happen in this book. Or that we are gonna go too deep into the whole Fae side of the world.

And whatever brought her flowers while they were still traveling towards the castle is gonna be important too. Somehow.

As for Celeana herself, well, I'm a bit on the fence about her. I think it's cool that she is so capable and badass but I also think is tiring to her always thinking how she can kill someone. I get it, you can do it, enough.

Oh, and Chaol is probably my favorite so far. He hasn't done much but I really like him XD

Alexandra Elend Wolf So, yeah, I managed to read and catch up last night.

I'm actually already a bit into the load of today. The writing is so easy to read that I don't even feel the time go by.

Mary wrote: "K so Sunday is over and we didn't read any chapters πŸ˜‚ how many are you guys good with for Monday? 4 again, or a little more, 6 maybe?"

Maybe we can read 6 chapters today? They are really not that big so, I'm up for it.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "So, yeah, I managed to read and catch up last night.

I'm actually already a bit into the load of today. The writing is so easy to read that I don't even feel the time go by.

Mary wrote: "K so S..."

6 chapters seems a bit much to me but I can always try to catch up tomorrow.

And interesting observations, Xandra!!! All I will say is that Celaena definitely becomes less annoying as the series goes on. Crown of Midnight Celaena is definitely better than Throne of Glass Celaena.

Alexandra Elend Wolf Anna wrote: "Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "So, yeah, I managed to read and catch up last night.

I'm actually already a bit into the load of today. The writing is so easy to read that I don't even feel the time..."

The second book being better seems to be a general consensus XD

If 6 chapters it's too hard for you I'm sure we can figure something else. That idea about setting a goal for Wenesday sounded interesting.

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Anna wrote: "Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "So, yeah, I managed to read and catch up last night.

I'm actually already a bit into the load of today. The writing is so easy to read that I don't even ..."

Yeah, I think it is, haha.

Well did you mean get to chapter 10? Or a different chapter?

message 24: by Mary (last edited Jan 06, 2020 11:29AM) (new)

Mary S. R. @Anna, I believe 6 chapters would mean the end of chapter 10. You up for that? As for the week-goal, that's an interesting idea, but IDK how many chapters we'd set. I mean, this day to day catch up lets us see how busy our day is gonna be and set a goal accordingly. So IDK.

message 25: by Mary (last edited Jan 06, 2020 12:20PM) (new)

Mary S. R. @Xandra, I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Yes, I always like competitions πŸ˜‚ and yes, the writing is indeed easy to read and quick! That's why I've devoured all SJM books so quick. They're also unputdownable, you'll see πŸ˜‹

As for Dorian, you're gonna love his character development. I don't wanna spoil anything about his character so I'll shut up, but do continue the observations, you know from experience how much I love them 😁

Also, interesting how I never found his name funny; to me it actually sounds nice?

Ooh the flowers!! I'm realising how many questions are being raised and how slowly the answers are gonna be revealed throughout the series! Wow, this world is sure as hell huge, I missed it so much πŸ₯Ί

Now Celaena. I do agree that it could've been managed a little better, but I do get where SJM is coming from with Celaena's constant focus on ways to escape or ways to kill. It shows how obsessed her mind is with those actions. Which in turn shows her lack of trust on literally everyone. She's already hinted at being trained since she was 8 in an occupation that requires you to excel at those two things, and since she was imprisoned, and as she says, she's been clearly betrayed so hee lack of trust and need to escape and always be on her toes runs even deeper.

People subconsciously focus on different things about their surroundingsβ€”upon meeting a new person or environment, a merchant would immediately calculate costs and just them by how much they're worth in money, while some people first focus on beauty and looks. Celaena, though, judges people by how easily she can overpower them. When she meets a new one, she's already categorised them as the enemy and her mind quickly jumps to ways she'd eliminate them and save herself. When she enters a new environment, she's expecting things to go terribly, so she quickly looks for ways out.

It shows her consuming obsession with a need for survival and an utter lack of trust. I actually really appreciate the addition of those thoughts, because they're an attention to detail I hadn't expected and hadn't even focused on that much during my first read!

As for Chaol, I do really love him. But you're NOT gonna believe his character's journey!

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "@Anna, I believe 6 chapters would mean the end of chapter 10. You up for that? As for the week-goal, that's an interesting idea, but IDK how many chapters we'd set. I mean, this day to day catch up..."

That's fine, I'll definitely meet that goal. ^_^

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Anna, awesome then! Since I've already read that far πŸ˜‚πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "@Anna, awesome then! Since I've already read that far πŸ˜‚πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ"

How are you enjoying the re-read so far?

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Surprisingly, I'm actually enjoying it so much more the second time around??? Yes, it's still young, and not as amazing as the other books, but I'm loving the interactions and laughing so hard. Nostalgia is also choking me πŸ₯Ί

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. How about you?

Alexandra Elend Wolf Ok. First of the agremet is reaching chapter 10? By today or... I'm a little lost XD

Alexandra Elend Wolf Then, Mer, wonderful deep-diving into Celaena's character!

I get your point and I agree. I really, like that she is always thinking of how to scape. She's been a prisoner for a year in an apparent hell-hole and is desperate for freedom. In her circumstances, she would be looking for every opportunity to scape. I don't object to that.

BUT, but, thinking every two seconds how to kill someone is a little too much. I'm not saying she, an assassin, won't think about it, but it gets to the point that someone just talks to her and she immediately thinks how to kill them. And, ok, as I'm writing this I'm also thinking that as you pointed out she has been trained to be an assassin since age 8 so, of course, it's hard-wired on her brain to look for ways to kill someone... It's just downing on me... OK. We can move on πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜†

Oh, the promises with Dorian's character are here. I'll trust you on this. Now I want something completely and utterly magnificent for him.

Names are pesky little things *lol* After a while it doesn't sound so terrible to me anymore but the first time I read it I thought it not fitting for a king *shrugs*

Slow revelations are good if well handled. I hope the slow rhythm of them coming is for good reasons and not ridiculous ones.

Also, just read her audience with the king and it's a bit impressive how all these incredibly dangerous men are scared of him. He doesn't sound that impressive. Physically, I mean, he's a king so of course, he is dangerous and powerful.

Oh! Ans this Lady Katherine sounds like is gonna provide good entertainment XD

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Ok. First of the agremet is reaching chapter 10? By today or... I'm a little lost XD"

The agreement was end of chapter 10 for Monday, why are you lost πŸ˜‚

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Xandra, πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I just love it when you talk to yourself. I'm the same, I figure stuff out just as I'm about to argue about them with someone πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈgood talk.

Well, maybe expect a little less magnificence and more pain, huh? :)

Oooh, you'll get why everyone's so scared of him...

Kaltain! Kaltain! Kaltain! I have no idea how to talk about her without spoiling sth. Jeez. But my heart!

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "How about you?"

I'm really liking it!!! Also I can really see how she planned some of this stuff from the very first book, I just didn't notice it the first time around. However, I do cringe every so often because her writing is definitely not as good as it is in the second one but that's understandable.

Are we going to try to get to Ch. 14 or Ch. 15 today?

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Anna, her writing is definitely not as good as it is in the future books, but it's seriously not as bad as I remember?? πŸ€” It's actually really good for a 16, 17 yo, honestly.

If you can do end of chapter 15, then all the better 😍

Alexandra Elend Wolf Mary wrote: "@Anna, her writing is definitely not as good as it is in the future books, but it's seriously not as bad as I remember?? πŸ€” It's actually really good for a 16, 17 yo, honestly.

If you can do end o..."

@Mary You'll come to realize that I can be very oblivious from to time, so, it should not come as a surprise if I get lost in this kind of conversations *lol*

PAIN! I live for the pain XD I love a good painful, gut-wrenching, story. I'm all for it!!!

Kaltain! That's her name! I knew it started with a K. Now, I'm even more invested in her. She seems like she has the potential to do terrible things without dirtying her pretty hands and dirtying them as well.

As for realizing things on the go... I'm glad you can relate.

@Anna Chapter 15 sounds good to me. I really can't wait to read more today! I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would.

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Mary wrote: "@Anna, her writing is definitely not as good as it is in the future books, but it's seriously not as bad as I remember?? πŸ€” It's actually really good for a 16, 17 yo, honestly.

If you..."

Glad that you're liking it!!! One of the reasons why I love this series so much is because of Maas' character work...her characters and character arcs are SO GOOD. This book doesn't show it, but you'll see it in the later books.

Mary wrote: "@Anna, her writing is definitely not as good as it is in the future books, but it's seriously not as bad as I remember?? πŸ€” It's actually really good for a 16, 17 yo, honestly.

If you can do end o..."

Yeah, knowing that she wrote this when she was 16/17 years old definitely makes it read better. Honestly her characters were great even at the beginning.

Alexandra Elend Wolf What? She was 16/17 when she wrote it? I didn't know that. That actually makes me see the books a lot differently.

message 40: by Mary (last edited Jan 07, 2020 03:06PM) (new)

Mary S. R. @Xandra, don't worry about it. We're all oblivious in the end. Such is the puzzle of life ;)

Yayyy I love that you're loving it! I honestly am, too πŸ˜‚

Yup, it was actually a story she was writing and publishing online when she was 16, and it got so much support that she ended up publishing it a few years later.

From Wikipedia since I think it'll be interesting info to have:

Sarah J. Maas has cited Disney's Cinderella as an inspiration for writing Throne of Glass. While viewing the scene in which the heroine flees the ball, Maas found the soundtrack "way too dark and intense". This led her to re-imagine a number of details. "The music fit much better when I imagined a thiefβ€”no, an assassin!β€”fleeing the palace," she said. "But who was she? Who had sent her to kill the prince? Who might the prince's enemies be? A powerful, corrupt empire, perhaps?"

Originally known as Queen of Glass, the story initially appeared on FictionPress.com. Bloomsbury acquired the novel in 2010, and purchased two additional Throne of Glass novels in 2012. Publicist Emma Bradshaw noted Maas' "huge online following, particularly in the US". Additionally, Throne of Glass became the first Bloomsbury children's novel to be featured on Netgalley.com, attracting requests "from all over the world." During the story's time on FictionPress.com, artist Kelly de Groot drew a map of the tale's world, Erilea, and shared it with Maas. Bloomsbury later hired de Groot to draw the map which appears in the opening novel.

Following its acquisition by Bloomsbury, the story went through a number of revisions prior to publication. Regarding the tale's development, Maas stated, "In the 10 years that I've been working on the series, Throne of Glass has become more of an original epic fantasy than a Cinderella retelling, but you can still find a few nods to the legend here and there."

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Chapters 11-15:

1) I canNOT get enough of Chaol and Celaena's back and forths πŸ˜‚ damn, I had not realised how much I missed SJM's banter writing!

2) I'm gonna add β€œeating sugar with porridge” and β€œhating fish” to the list of reasons why Celaena is me πŸ˜‚

3) Anna, (view spoiler)

Alexandra Elend Wolf Mary wrote: "Chapters 11-15:

1) I canNOT get enough of Chaol and Celaena's back and forths πŸ˜‚ damn, I had not realised how much I missed SJM's banter writing!

2) I'm gonna add β€œeating sugar with porridge” and ..."

That's so interesting. Really fascinating. And quite inspiring.

To think of it as a Cinderella retelling is a bit weird, even though I know it's not quite that, but I can see the inspiration. And I will be eagerly looking for more XD

I confess as to of yet not have read anything today, yet, but I will. There are still a few hours left in the day and I shall read the chapters.

Tomorrow we reach chapter 19, right?

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Alexandra Elend Wolf wrote: "Mary wrote: "Chapters 11-15:

2) I'm gonna add β€œeating sugar with p..."

Yeah, I think Ch. 19 is our goal for today but if that's too much that's okay - we can choose another chapter to get to.

Mary wrote: "Chapters 11-15:

2) I'm gonna add β€œeating sugar with porridge” and ..."

Awwww. D: It's amazing to see her growth throughout the series.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Chapter 19 it is!

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Mary wrote: "Chapter 19 it is!"

MARY.

(view spoiler)

Alexandra Elend Wolf I had so much fun seeing Chaol's and Celeana's interactions XD Their banter is really funny.

The competition was a bit of let down, though. I hope they get better because just an archery test seems to... dull for this, apparently, really dangerous competition.

Though, a thought did occur to me as I was reading the test. That ring -that has being pointed out several times already - that Cain wears has of importance? What if that ring has magic in it? It just strikes me as interesting that is mentioned so much and Maas goes out of her way to mention it.

And then there's Nehemiah. She seems cool but shady at the same time. I'm pretty sure she has ulterior motives to be at the castle. Could she want to kill Dorian?

And also the murder of Billy, Bill? anyway, I think that either the king or Nehemiah has something to do with that. It is most likely connected to the murder of those pups that Chaol found.

Or does it have to do more with the places the king has oppressed? I wouldn't be surprised.

For once I actually remembered to make notes about what I wanted to talk about XD

I'll be leaving here all my crazy theories so bear with me.

Alexandra Elend Wolf And chapter 19 it is then :D

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Anna, oh my god, Anna, I'm laughing so hard, I just love you for that πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (view spoiler)

But I sooo feel you about being shocked about all the details and planning. I'm constantly like, HOLY SHIT THIS WAS HERE AND I DIDN'T SEE IT????? I've no idea what the hell I'd been doing the first time I read this book, but I sure as hell did not read THIS book. This is so much better than I remember, I almost wanna kick myself. I think I just might 😐

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. @Xandra, oh just sit tight, you're gonna get a nice meal of banter from everyone. And then some more.

Yup, but the next tests become way more interesting so they were probably starting off easy to give everyone time to go back to their best after whatever hell they endured in whatever hellhole they'd been kept.

As for your theories...

Ooh
Oooh
Ooooh

Oooooooooh

Thank you for making notes! Keep doing that because this is a blast!!! 😍😍

message 50: by Mary (last edited Jan 08, 2020 03:09PM) (new)

Mary S. R. Chapters 16-19

Anna, there are so many of these little nudges or remarks, (view spoiler)
Or when Dorian said how women bored him, I thought of EXACTLY what his type was, and I just love how the foundation of it is present even in book one!

Also, I canNOT get enough of Dorian flirting with Cel πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12