Play Book Tag discussion

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
This topic is about Fun Home
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot Tally] Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - 5 awed stars

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 01, 2020 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 5535 comments What a brilliant, literate, heartrending, yet uplifting story of a daughter's ultimate acceptance of her father's life choices and inexplicable death. It is also an acceptance of herself and her 'erotic truth' and her confused tense relationship with her father.

The book's structure was for me a new experience and a revelation. The graphic novel format was perfection, remaining literary while being visual. This was my first graphic novel but will not be my last. And even though I was in general familiar with the storyline, the oh-so-casual tossed in matter-of-fact statement on page 17 about her father, that sits as an isolated island in the midst of an ocean, absolutely had me reeling. Masterful.

I absolutely loved it.

I am torn though. Do I regret not seeing the Broadway show based on this brilliant memoir? Yes...and no. Somehow reading this now, long after its publication and the award winning Broadway adaptation, is perfect. Why? Because I am in the midst of reading Proust. There is so much more resonance for me when reading the Proust chapter, so much that reflected my own response to Proust.

Started Jan 1, 2020 at 12.11 AM and finished 3 enthralled hours later. Jade Dragons New York/Broadway. My home state!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 7962 comments There is a CD of the show that I found moving when I read the book last year!

message 3: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Great way to start off your reading year!

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6688 comments Excellent start to your reading year! And, of course, hurrah for Jade Dragons! :)

LibraryCin | 7773 comments I read this in the last couple of years, as well.

And it was your first graphic novel!? Wow, I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! I'd like to make a recommendation - my first graphic novel a number of years ago:
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood By Marjane Satrapi

Theresa | 5535 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I read this in the last couple of years, as well.

And it was your first graphic novel!? Wow, I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! I'd like to make a recommendation - my first graphic novel a numbe..."

I have actually had my eye on Persepolis....

Susie | 4488 comments A great start to your year!

message 8: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3723 comments I loved this. I love the musical.
And now find myself doing the Bechdel test on just about everything.

message 9: by Theresa (last edited Jan 04, 2020 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 5535 comments It is coming to the movie theater!

https://www.cbr.com/fun-home-spider-m...

message 10: by Idit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Idit | 1028 comments The musical is coming to Sydney in few months! Better buy them tickets!

message 11: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3723 comments Theresa wrote: "It is coming to the movie theater!

https://www.cbr.com/fun-home-spider-m..."

I saw this!!! So excited. Now to wait and see if it actually happens. Still waiting on the Wicked movie I was promised 15 years ago, lol.

I'm so curious about Jake G in musicals. He did Little Shop of Horrors a while back, and I never dug down the rabbit hole to see his performance. If this movie really does happen I probably will, haha.

Theresa | 5535 comments Joi wrote: "Theresa wrote: "It is coming to the movie theater!

https://www.cbr.com/fun-home-spider-m..."

I saw this!!! So excited. Now to wait and see if it actually happ..."

JoAnne - I saw him on Broadway in Sunday in the Park with George, and he was really excellent! Sondheim is a challenge for singers; not many handle it well. Jake was superb, although upstaged by the absolutely phenomenal Annaleigh Ashley.

George Seurat was a tough, nuanced character, too. I expect he will be excellent as Bechdel's dad in Fun Home.

message 13: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3723 comments Theresa wrote: "I saw him on Broadway in Sunday in the Park with George, and he was really excellent! Sondheim is a challenge for singers; not many handle it well. Jake was superb, although upstaged by the absolutely phenomenal Annaleigh Ashley."

That's very reassuring . I'm always nervous when big names make the transition to musicals and broadway, as a lot of the time it doesn't work. (looking at you Amanda Seyfried- sorry!!).

Also, I'm a huge Annaleigh Ashford fan! Saw her in Legally Blonde the Musical. I have a "Great Performances" recording of Kinky Boots on my TV that I haven't watched, but I'm not sure she is in the cast or not.

Theresa | 5535 comments Joi wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I saw him on Broadway in Sunday in the Park with George, and he was really excellent! Sondheim is a challenge for singers; not many handle it well. Jake was superb, although upstage..."

I will watch Annaleigh sing and dance and act the Manhattan phone book. That woman is GIFTED!

I absolutely agree about screen/stage transitions...those dedicated stage actors call it stunt casting. It usually fails at doing more than put butts in seats...except when whoever the big name is has some serious stage acting in their background - like Willem Dafoe. But there are exceptions.

Then of course when the stunt actor leaves the show...because always there on a limited run contract as a movie is no doubt waiting to be made...the show almost inevitably closes soon after, no matter how excellent even extraordinary because the stunt casting overwhelmed the show.

Not that I am bitter or anything...

message 15: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3723 comments Amen, Theresa!
Any chance you've seen Daniel Radcliffe on Bway? I'm so curious about if he is ACTUALLY good or not, haha. I can't help but assumed he was kind of terrible in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying.

Theresa | 5535 comments Joi wrote: "Amen, Theresa!
Any chance you've seen Daniel Radcliffe on Bway? I'm so curious about if he is ACTUALLY good or not, haha. I can't help but assumed he was kind of terrible in How to Succeed in Busi..."

Yes, I have seen him on Broadway - not in How to Succeed in Business, but in Equus (Broadway debut and I though he was amazing - better than Peter Firth who originated the role), and most recently in Lifespan of a Fact and he was absolutely amazing. He has real stage presence, and brings something to these unusual roles - characters that aren't quite 'right'.

It's obvious he is acting because he loves it. I seriously doubt he ever has to work again!

message 17: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3723 comments Theresa wrote: "It's obvious he is acting because he loves it. I seriously doubt he ever has to work again!"

That is really good to hear. I remember seeing him dance on the Tony's for HTSIBWRT and being impressed.

Funny- I may have been across the street from you when you saw Equus! I saw Xanadu at a theater close by the weekend that Equus opened. I remember seeing a bunch of limos and wondering if Daniel Radcliffe was in one of them.