Brain Science Podcast discussion

Recommended Reading > Politics and Brain Science

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments I wonder if you are familiar with the work of Dr Lakoff. Since I am fascinated by both brain science and politics, his insights into their convergence is hard for me to resist. He is a progressive and makes no attempt to hide his values. In fact, being upfront with values is central to his worldview.

Here is a link to his blog, which should give you a good introduction to his work.

http://georgelakoff.com/2014/11/29/ge...

I would like to hear what you think about interviewing him on the podcast.

message 2: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 21 comments One area where Lakoff aligns with some BSP themes is his acknowledgement that most of our behavior is unconscious. “Most of our thought is unconscious, not in the Freudian sense of being repressed, but in the sense that it operates beneath the level of cognitive awareness, inaccessible to consciousness and operating too quickly to be focused on.” Lakoff, George and Johnson, Mark. Philosophy in the Flesh 1999 p.10. Similarly to Gazzaniga, Lakoff estimates that 95% of human cognitive processes occur outside conscious awareness. Lakoff is also big on embodied cognition.

message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Brooks | 6 comments I agree whole-heartedly.