Elyse's Personal Readathon/Challenge Tracking discussion

January 2020 Readathons > Bout of Books 27 - Jan 6-12, 2020

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:31AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Accidentally deleted my sign-up post. Oops! Second sign-up post for Bout of Books 27! Also posting on Instagram @weezielemoo

Challenges
Day 1 - Monday 1/6
Introduce Yourself #insixwords
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Currently Reading

Day 2 - Tuesday 1/7
Share Your 2020 Reading Goals
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Favorite Feel-Good

Day 3 - Wednesday 1/8
Bookish Matchmaking
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Winter Themed

Day 4 - Thursday 1/9
Recreate the Scene
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Cover Love

Day 5 - Friday 1/10
The One with the Books in It!
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Recent 5-Star Read

Day 6 - Saturday 1/11
If This, Then That
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: 2020 Vision

Day 7 - Sunday 1/12
Stretch Goal
Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: SHELFIE

message 2: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:31AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 1 - Monday 1/6
Introduce Yourself #insixwords
The challenge is simple: introduce yourself on Twitter, Instagram, or on this post using six words, no more, no less. Use the hashtags #boutofbooks and #insixwords so we can learn all about you.

Loves books, furbabies, cooking, sleep, TV

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Currently Reading

Monday Morning Starting Line!
I like to start readathons fresh but this is not the case today.
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare page 140 (of 481 pages)
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25% (of 369 pages-Kindle edition)

message 3: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:31AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 2 - Tuesday 1/7
Share Your 2020 Reading Goals
What do you want to accomplish reading-wise in 2020? Share your goal(s) in the comments here or let us know on social media.

📚 Finish series I've started and are done being written.
📚 Read as many owned books as possible!
📚 Keep up on ARCs and limit ARC requests on NetGalley to only read authors and anticipated books.
📚 Keep up on reviews! Write review next day!

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Favorite Feel-Good

Monday's Progress
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 140-197 (of 481 pages)
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25-50% (of 369 pages-Kindle edition)

Books Started
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 0-7% (of 320 pages)

message 4: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:32AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 3 - Wednesday 1/8
Bookish Matchmaking
One of the great things about having so many book lovers in one place is being able to crowdsource recommendations. That's what today's challenge is all about. Have you been looking for a specific type of book? Add your "I'm looking for . . . " in the comments below or on Twitter. Comment on threads with your own recommendations. Let your TBR stack grow larger!

I have too many books to read to seek out recommendations. lol.

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Winter Themed

Tuesday's Progress
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 198-247 (of 481 pages)
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 50-75% (of 369 pages-Kindle edition)
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 7-13% (of 320 pages)

Books Started
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy pages 0-27 (of 272 pages)

message 5: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:32AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 4 Thursday 1/9
Recreate the Scene
Draw or otherwise recreate the scene you're currently reading or the last scene you read.

skipping

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Cover Love

Wednesday's Progress
Books Continuing
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 75-100% (of 369 pages-Kindle edition) FINISHED!
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 13-18% (of 320 pages)

Books Finished
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25-100% (avg. 277 pages)
Total pages books finished: 277

Very busy day yesterday, did not get much of a chance to sit down and read! I finished my audiobook, which was mediocre, and read a little bit of Felicity Carrol before bed. Disappointing reading day!

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 05:33AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 5 - Friday 1/10
The One with the Books in It!
Today we're celebrating books with books or book-related professions, characters, and/or plots. Share the title, author, and genre!

Books with prominent libraries! Both of these series are very good!
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman (SciFi/Fantasy)
Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine (SciFi/Fantasy)

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: Recent 5-Star Read

Thursday's Progress
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 248-273 (of 481 pages)
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 18-31% (of 320 pages)
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy pages 28-272 (of 272 pages) FINISHED!

Books Started
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio) 0-27% (of 336 pages-Kindle edition)

Books Finished
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25-100% (avg. 277 pages)
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy (272 pages)
Total pages books finished: 549

Better reading yesterday (yay for graphic novels!) but I ended up watching the original Jumanji movie instead of reading. No regrets! TGIF though!! Woot! Can't wait to get home from work!

message 7: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 6 - Saturday 1/11
If This, Then That
Put your recommendations hat on, #boutofbooks-ers. For this challenge, pick a book, author, or trope (or whatever!) from your TBR and suggest similar books.

* If you like Victorian mystery books, try Laura Joh Rowland's Victorian Mystery series OR Deanna Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell series.
* If you like faeries, try Holly Black's Tithe series OR Folk of the Air series or Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series OR Elizabeth May's Falconer series.
* If you like pre-teen sleuths, try Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series.

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: 2020 Vision

Friday's Progress
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 274-346 (of 481 pages)
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 31-41% (of 320 pages)
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio) 27-84% (of 336 pages-Kindle edition)

Books Started
The Secret Garden Cookbook, Newly Revised Edition Inspiring Recipes from the Magical World of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden by Amy Cotler pages 0-112 (of 112 pages) FINISHED!

Books Finished
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy (272 pages)
The Secret Garden Cookbook, Newly Revised Edition Inspiring Recipes from the Magical World of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden by Amy Cotler (112 pages)
Total pages books finished: 661

Ended up doing some laundry and putting away extreme amounts of clothes (they may have been sitting on my dresser for months...) and I listened to a lot of Daisy Jones & The Six! I wasn't sure I was going to like the format at first but I've really gotten into it and I will finish it today. I read the Secret Garden Cookbook at in-between times at work yesterday. lol

message 8: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Day 7 - Sunday 1/12
Stretch Goal
It's the last day of the readathon, so today's challenge is to take a look at the goals you set for the week (if you have them) and decide a) how you can stretch yourself to complete them or b) how you can revise them so you can meet them. Because yes, you can revise your goals! If you didn't set goals for the week, set a small one for yourself today!

I don't usually pick goals for these readathons, basically the only goal is to read as much as I can. So for my stretch goal I just want to finish reading the books I've started!

Photo of the Day Instagram Challenge: SHELFIE

Saturday's Progress
Books Continuing
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 347-481 (of 481 pages) FINISHED!
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 41-64% (of 320 pages)
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio) 84-100% (of 336 pages-Kindle edition) FINISHED!

Books Started
Poisoned Apples Poems for You, My Pretty by Christine Heppermann pages 0-107 (of 107 pages) FINISHED!
We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai (audio) 0-50% (of 224 pages-Kindle edition)

Books Finished
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25-100% (avg. 277 pages-Kindle edition)
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy 100% (272 pages)
The Secret Garden Cookbook, Newly Revised Edition Inspiring Recipes from the Magical World of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden by Amy Cotler 100% (112 pages)
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 140-481 (341 pages)
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio) 100% (336 pages-Kindle edition)
Poisoned Apples Poems for You, My Pretty by Christine Heppermann 100% (107 pages)
Total pages books finished: 1,445

Yesterday was a good day. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. 61 degrees and sunny. In mid-January. In New England. Yeah, there's no such thing as climate change...no big deal...nothing to see here...eep. But I enjoyed it. Took the dogs for a walk, ran some errands, and did plenty of reading! Today: rinse and repeat! It may be warm today but it's raining. Perfect reading weather!

message 9: by Elyse (last edited Jan 13, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 495 comments Sunday's Progress
Books Continuing
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 64-100% (of 320 pages) FINISHED!
We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai (audio) 50-100% (of 224 pages-Kindle edition) FINISHED!

Books Started
Paper Girls, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan pages 0-125 (of 125 pages) FINISHED!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Instagram Wrap-up

WRAP-UP
Total books finished that were started prior to readathon: 2
Total books read completely: 7
Total audiobooks: 3
Total e-books: 4
Total physical books: 2
Total pages read (including audio): 2,114

Books
(in order of when I finished them)
Twelve Patients Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer (audio) 25-100% (avg. 277 pages-Kindle edition)
Parable of the Sower by Damian Duffy 100% (272 pages)
The Secret Garden Cookbook, Newly Revised Edition Inspiring Recipes from the Magical World of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden by Amy Cotler 100% (112 pages)
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare pages 140-481 (341 pages)
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio) 100% (336 pages-Kindle edition)
Poisoned Apples Poems for You, My Pretty by Christine Heppermann 100% (107 pages)
We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai (audio) 100% (224 pages-Kindle edition)
Felicity Carrol and the Perilous Pursuit (Felicity Carrol Mystery #1) by Patricia Marcantonio 100% (320 pages)
Paper Girls, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan 100% (125 pages)

*happy dance* I had a great reading weekend. Some parts of the week were a little slow but I'm very happy with my overall totals for BoB27. I finished the 2 books I was reading/listening to before BoB started and I read/listened to 7 other books. I ended BoB with no books! Starting off this week with fresh books!