LOST Book Club discussion

Novels within LOST novels.

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 42 comments Mod
Hey group. A member Ryan has made an interesting discovery. In the "Welcome" thread he talks about finding a mention of "The Tempest" in "A Wrinkle in Time" and "Watership Down" is mentioned in "The Stand."

So I was wondering. Have any of you noticed certian novels mentioned within the novels connected to the show? Any connection?

For me, I know in "Bad Twin" they mention Dante's "Divine Comedy," "The Great Gatsby," "A River Runs Through It," "Gilgamesh," and "Beowulf." I'll have to think about the other novels I have read.

Does anyone else have a novel within a "LOST novel?"

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (KalykoKatt) | 4 comments Well, I can tell you that the Dark Tower series, which aren't directly LOST novels more of inspiration, refer to Wizard of Oz, Watership Down, and Shardik (the bear also by Richard Adams), and maybe others that I'm not thinking of at this moment. That's a good thought, I'll have to ponder that some more.

message 3: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) On Letterman last night, he had the top ten reasons to watch Battlestar Galactica's new season - and one of the reasons was "you find out what's in the hatch and who gets off the island - crap, wrong show" thought that was cute. (LOVE BSG too)

message 4: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Mar 23, 2008 12:00AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) Janice, that's funny! & I love BSG, too.

I actually noticed on the latest episode that some game show was on in the background when Michael was going to kill himself (with the gun in the house - hysterical that I have to specify both how AND where) and the answer to the question was something by Kurt Vonnegut. I missed the title but distinctly heard Kurt Vonnegut - it was the correct answer. I wonder what the book was since NOTHING is on accident in LOST (for heaven's sake, the shark had a Dharma Initiative logo on it a few seasons back).

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (KalykoKatt) | 4 comments The book was Slaughterhouse-Five with the answer being Kurt Vonnegut.

From wikipedia:

Slaughterhouse-Five; or, The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance With Death is a 1969 novel by Kurt Vonnegut. One of his most popular works and widely regarded as a classic, it combines science fiction elements with an analysis of the human condition from an uncommon perspective, using time travel as a plot device.

Slaughterhouse-Five spans the life of a man who has "come unstuck in time." It is the story of Billy Pilgrim experiencing different time periods of his life, most notably his experience in World War II and his relationship with his family. The book is a series of seemingly random happenings that, in combination, present the thematic elements of the novel in an unraveling order.

Sounds eerily similar to LOST to me.

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 1 comments billy was also a character in episode 5, 'the constant'.

from http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Con...

"Desmond confides his vivid dreams to his military friend Billy. Billy Pilgrim is the main character in Slaughterhouse Five, the second chapter of which begins with the narration, "Listen: Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."; Daniel says he will unstick Eloise in time."

message 7: by MJ (new)

MJ OMG I did not make that connections. thanks

message 8: by Ryan (last edited Apr 17, 2008 08:55PM) (new)

Ryan Ford | 4 comments Hey everybody. So I am dutifully (yet slowly) reading through the "Lost" book list, and while I was at a concert last weekend, I saw that "The Tempest" was playing at the same theater, so I made a point to go to it tonight. After about 15 minutes into the play, my wife whispered to me "Oh my God! Prospero is Ben!"

Anyways, I could go on and on about "The Tempest," (did I mention that the play takes place on a magical island) but I'll do that later in my book reviews when I actually read it. When I read "A Wrinkle in Time," there was a Prospero quote that helped promp this discussion page, so I listened for the quote in the play tonight, as it was the only thing that I would recognize (having never read it.) To set the scene a bit, Prospero's daughter had just married, and the ceremony was filled with illusion and conducted by spirits. Ferdinand, the husband, is very taken by the display, and he talks to Prospero who tells him this:

Prospero:
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158

The following is from a Shakespear webpage that I found tonight while searching for "Prospero" and "Dreams" on the net:

"Anticipating his daughter's wedding to the Prince of Naples, Prospero has staged a short entertainment, with spirits taking the parts of Roman gods. But he abruptly cuts the fun short when he remembers some pressing business. He tries to calm the startled couple by explaining, somewhat off the point, that the "revels" (performance) they've witnessed were simply an illusion, bound sooner or later to melt into "thin air"—a phrase he coins.

Prospero's metaphor applies not just to the pageant he's created on his fictional island, but also to the pageant Shakespeare presents in his Globe Theater—the "great globe itself." Dramatic illusion in turn becomes a metaphor for the "real" world outside the Globe, which is equally fleeting. Towers, palaces, temples, the Globe theater, the Earth—all will crumble and dissolve, leaving not even a wisp of cloud (a "rack") behind. Prospero's "pageant" is the innermost Chinese box: a play within a play (The Tempest) within a play (the so-called "real" world)."

So, what do you all think. A play within a play? Books within books? What the hell is going on on the island?!?!?!?! I wish that I were a smarter person and could crack this nut.

Oh, and the website I qouoted was:

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quo...

message 9: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Ford | 4 comments Hey peoples. I also wanted to ask if there was anyone else out there writing reviews about the Lost books they have been reading. I poked around a few of this clubs book lists, but didn't come up with much. Anyone... Anyone...

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Im not really writing reviews perse, but i have started to read some of the novels from the Lost Lit List, and while one was really good, the others have left me wondering if i should continue the trend.

I read Mysterious Island by Verne. 5 guys and a dog are stranded on an uninhabited island when thier ballon crashes. while its highly technical and descriptive, I found i was reading late into the nite for an inability to stop turning the pages! (I liked it so much, i went out and bought a leather bound book of Vernes Works, and am currently reading 20,000 Leauges)

I read Island by Huxley. Wow. this seemed like it was going to be a great novel. the first few pages really pulled me in. But then I was forcing myself through it. Huxley basically wrote an essay on what he thought the perfect society was and had created characters to state it to us. Blah. the only good parts were the first few pages and the last few pages. Everything in between was --ugh-- at best.

Then onto VALIS by Philip K. Dick. Another mess of a novel. This one is about Dicks alterego/other personality and his search for God and the truth. Sounds ok, until you get into his exegsis and all the theoretical jargon he spews at you. Buried under all the nonesence is a half decent novel. But it was a tough one to get through.

I am taking a break from the Lost List, just because I have had two bad reads in a row, and wanted to actually read something i may enjoy. I am sure I will be drawn back to it eventually.

Has anyone else read any of the books I have listed above? I would be interested to hear what you think.... if I am way off base, or if you felt the same....

message 11: by alix (new)

alix | 2 comments Lori, I'm in a similar boat, and even as I type this, lined up beside me are about nine volumes of LOST-related lore, including the ones you mention.

I wholeheartedly agree with your VALIS summary. I myself couldn't force myself past page 100, even though I'm OCD about finishing books I start. In the mood for something completely different, I opted for Brothers Karamazov, which is proving to be completely worthy of its accolades. Huxley's Island is next on my list; figure I'll still give it a shot.

As for Verne, I agree that he is an AMAZING writer! I can still recall how much I adored Journey to the Center of the Earth as a child, and am now all the more eager to get my hands on Mysterious Island.

By the by, I recently read Nabokov's Laughter in the Dark (INCREDIBLE) and discovered its LOST connection. I want to challenge my fellow Lostians to reveal what it is! A million cool points for whoever divulges it first! (Hint: It's hidden in plain view.)

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Alix, the leather bound novel of Vernes works contains Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I am very much looking foward to reading that one as well....

Is Nabokovs novel listed as lost lit? I didnt notice it on the weblist... or perhaps it is a new addition? I will have to look into it!

message 13: by alix (new)

alix | 2 comments Hurley is seen reading Laughter in the Dark in the episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes." In fact, I believe there is a close-up of the book's cover.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) sold, im adding it to my list!
thanks!

message 15: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) I recently read Catch-22, Lord of the Flies, and Carrie because of their connection to Lost. Catch-22 was about the weirdest book I think I've ever read, although I didn't hate it. I think I liked Lord of the Flies more than I would have normally because of all the similarities I could see to Lost.

Quick question - I added Carrie to the group's "read" bookshelf, but then noticed that it was already on the "to-read" shelf. Is there a group policy on which books should be on which shelf?

message 16: by Philip (new)

Philip | 13 comments Wasn't there some sort of Catch-22 in the episode that showed a translated version of the book?

unread topics | mark unread