SCAREDY CAT discussion

Books, Books, Books... > What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 578 (578 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 697 comments Mod
I notice we have a lot of interesting threads around here, but we don't actually have one specifically for members to tell their friends about the great and scary books they're currently reading.

Well, now we do.

I'll start out by saying that I wasted 3 weeks of my life trying to muddle my way though Stephen King/Peter Straub's Black House. It was just not working for me, I'm afraid.

Oh, well... I'm reading a non-scary/creepy Agatha Christie mystery now.

So, what creepiness is on your nightstand?

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I've read Black House a long time ago and barely remember it. I'm now reading 'Salem's Lot

message 3: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

That's a good one. :)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 5 comments I just read Djinn. Extreme creepiness with some creepy erotica. Not my usual read. I just read King's 1922 and the good marriage and liked them both

message 5: by Annie A (new)

Annie A | 25 comments Eric, I too gave up on Black House, it was just too much of a slog.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) This is an interesting conversation about the likes and dislikes from readers. The book Black House mostly has raving reviews, but some hated it. No one seems to pinpoint the dislikes. Was it too slow, bad characters, too predictable or what? I haven't read the book and never will because reading for me is a complete bore. I have written a couple of books and received the same response. Readers either love it or they hate it, no middle ground. Luckily for me I consider myself no more than a hack, rather than a writer. For me I have found the only think more boring than reading a book, is writing one! Lol

message 7: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Well, if I remember correctly, I wasn't very impressed with King/Straub's first iteration of this theme in their co-written book The Talisman. King and Straub are excellent writers on their own, but it just seems that when they get together to write one it just seems so cliche and formulaic. It's almost as if they designed the book rather than wrote them.

The thrills and chills are canned. The narrative is typical King. The characters are King-ish. The momentum of the piece is non-existent. Most King books read very fast for me. These two with Straub are just so slow.

I cannot really put my finger directly on the problem with these two books (the Talisman series). It just seems that the blood, gore, creepy evil characters, and plotting are all just rehashed leftovers from older King and Straub books.

Oh, well... it is what it is, I s'pose. Books are very subjective things, as are movies, food, music, and physical attraction. One person's thriller is another person's sleep aid.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Very well put. That explains everything... uh I think?

message 9: by Annie A (new)

Annie A | 25 comments Now, see, I liked the Talisman and was really excited when Black House came out but there was just something in the narrative that was off. Sorry, it was so long ago that I don't remember what specifically I didn't like but I do know I gave up very quickly which is unusual for me.

message 10: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

On a funny side note...

This particular book that I was reading (Black House) was a well-circulated library copy (paperback) from my local library. As I stated elsewhere, I should have heeded the hint in the spine of the book. The crease in the spine on this book never went past about page 200 or so. I managed to get to page 315. It was a struggle, though.

The funny thing about this book was that some morally upstanding individual, who previously checked the book out from the library, took it upon himself to censor the book using a black ball point pen. Every instance where King/Straub used the word "goddamn," or variations thereof, this person scribbled it out with that black pen. He only censored up to page 206, though. I guess he couldn't manage to get any further into the book, either. ;)

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Whoa, if you have to dig out a pen and mark out words you find offensive in a book, maybe you should only stick to the Bible or better yet don't read at all. You talking about creepy!

message 12: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Aileen (agm009) | 921 comments Mod
Very creepy

message 13: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Very creepy

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Iverson (zenbreeze) Which Agatha Christie are you reading, Eric?

I'm making my way through the Odd Thomas series (Dean Koontz) on audio (this is my busy time of year and I'm swamped even more than usual so I will probably have to stick with audio until late Jan). I'm on Book 4. Liked 1 & 3 but was bored with 2. 4 is OK so far.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Right now I'm reading Hell Hole by Hunter Shea Hell Hole for review. It's a weird western horror. Enjoying it so far, about halfway through.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments On a side note if there be any single women in the crypt, if you're dating someone new and they ask you what you would like for Christmas, DO NOT tell him a book (unless you really want that) because he WILL buy you a book. I was kidding (years ago) but I got a book.

message 17: by Gmaharriet (new)

Gmaharriet I'm reading a wonderful "ghoulish" non-fiction book called "Working Stiff" about a woman who spent 2 years performing autopsies for the Medical Examiner's Office in NYC. She gives lots of detail about her findings, and it's in language that the average reader can understand.

I don't know how to link to the books and reviews here. I know there are some.

message 18: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Laura wrote: "Which Agatha Christie are you reading, Eric?"

Towards Zero

message 19: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Robert wrote: "Whoa, if you have to dig out a pen and mark out words you find offensive in a book, maybe you should only stick to the Bible or better yet don't read at all. You talking about creepy!"

Aileen wrote: "Very creepy"

Yup. Well, I brought it to the librarian's attention. She said they'd pull that one from the shelves and order a new one. I jokingly told her to see if she could find an edition with only the first 250 pages or so because that seemed to be about as far as anyone had delved into this book. ;)

message 20: by Annie A (new)

Annie A | 25 comments Ah, Eric, that made me laugh out loud!

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Iverson (zenbreeze) Coincidentally, I just noticed the audiobook for that one on youtube a couple days ago. I think there was a movie or TV version I probably saw.

Eric wrote: "Laura wrote: "Which Agatha Christie are you reading, Eric?"

Towards Zero"

message 22: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I'm reading Salem's Lot which I'm loving and still reading Ghost Story by Straub which I started in October :/ I'm being soooo slow lately

message 23: by Rose (new)

Rose (lilbitsbiz) | 1 comments I'm reading, "Zomblog" by T.W. Brown, "City of the Dead" by Brian Keene and "They Thirst" by Robert R. McCammon. :)

message 24: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Stefani  (rhonda72) | 41 comments On the subject of King's Black House, I also couldn't get thru it. I'd really liked The Talisman so was eager to read Black House, it's collecting dust on my bookcase :) Years ago I read a lot of D.Koontz but stepped away for some reason. Now I actually found in the tiny library where I live his book called 77 Shadow Street that I'm reading right now. Lol, book is open in my lap while I thought to pass this on to the group! Really great story so far!

message 25: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (jbthern) Just finished King's 11/22/63. Crazy far out story but I did enjoy it. Truly too complex to sum up here. I love the Shining. Was so scared had to stop reading it until my husband came home. I read many of these romance/ sci fi blends. Lara Adrian the Breed series, JR Ward Brotherhood of the Black Danger. Right NW reading newest JD Robb's Eve Dallas series " Festive in Death".

message 26: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

11/22/63 was a FUN book! :)

message 27: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (jbthern) Yes it was.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Rose wrote: "I'm reading, "Zomblog" by T.W. Brown, "City of the Dead" by Brian Keene and "They Thirst" by Robert R. McCammon. :)"

I refuse to read anything by T.W. Brown. He is an admitted child molesters. Can't support that! The others are great books.

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Whoa, not our kind of guy the perv.

message 30: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments I had gotten one of his books sent to me for a review. When I read his info I refused to work with him. I can't support anyone like that.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

message 32: by Billie (new)

Billie (worming_my_way) | 24 comments I'm getting ready to start For a Few Demons More. Not really horror, but you know.... (shrugs shoulders)

message 33: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (jbthern) Kathy wrote: "NOS4A2NOS4A2 by Joe Hill"

I want to read yhis one just because of the title. Love it.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Reading it in another group...so far so good.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 40 comments I just finished Bird Box.

message 36: by Lyndl (new)

Lyndl | 25 comments I just finished Revival. Really good, old fashioned Stephen King... even down to the typically lame ending

message 37: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I finished Salem's Lot (5stars) and started re-reading The Hobbit last night, for the up coming movie.

message 38: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (last edited Dec 02, 2014 07:44AM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I just finished Bird Box."
Did you enjoy it?

message 39: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 4 comments Rose wrote: "I'm reading, "Zomblog" by T.W. Brown, "City of the Dead" by Brian Keene and "They Thirst" by Robert R. McCammon. :)"

Ooh I love Robert R. McCammon!!
I am reading First Night of Summer by Landon Parham but I just started.

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 4 comments Juanita wrote: "Kathy wrote: "NOS4A2NOS4A2 by Joe Hill"

I want to read yhis one just because of the title. Love it."

I read this book. Really enjoyed it!

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 40 comments Aileen wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I just finished Bird Box.""

Here is my review and yes I did.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 42: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Big Little Lies

I'm really enjoying this book. A very good WHODUNIT mystery. Here's a little about this book:
The annual Trivia Night at Pirriwee School had always been a peaceful affair, but this year was different. First, there was a riot; then a parent was found dead; and before long, police investigators began piecing together clues of murder. Behind the apparent homicide are the intertwined stories of three women; their husbands and children; their ex-husbands and their new wives.

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I started NOS4A2 the other night! Pretty cool!

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments STILL attempting to read NOS4A2. Just can't find the time to read much.

message 45: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 1 comments I'm about a third of the way through Diedre Gould's "After the Cure." I'm not a fan of zombie fiction, generally, but this is a very good book. Here's the publisher's blurb:

"Eight years ago the December Plague swept through the human population of earth. The Infected were driven mad by the disease, becoming violent and cannibalistic, killing even those closest to them without hesitation.

Six years ago, the tiny surviving community of Immune humans found a cure, and the Infected began to wake up and realize what they'd done. And what had been done to them.

Over time, society began to rebuild itself. Now it is ready to judge those responsible for the Plague. Nella Rider, the court psychologist and Frank Courtlen a defense attorney are trying to establish the truth. But more depends on it than they know. They race to find the answers they need before the fragile remains of humanity vanish for good."

message 46: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Kathy wrote: "STILL attempting to read NOS4A2. Just can't find the time to read much."

If you don't have time to read, you just don't have time. :(

message 47: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

I'm reading Daniel H. Wilson's sequel to Robopocalypse. It's called Robogenesis.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (Katefrets) | 8 comments I've been reading Sweeney Todd: String of Pearls. It's the original, Victorian novel so it's a little dense but honestly really good and a fun, funny read. Would totally recommend if you're in the mood for the language!

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2 comments I'm reading Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs. I love her books.

message 50: by Angela (last edited Dec 16, 2014 07:13PM) (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Just started Dreamwalker by Russell James

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12