RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2020 Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore P. (heenarathore) | 2094 comments Mod
We are here with the 6th instalment of the most amazing reading challenge on this planet *drumrolls* - RMFAO's Genre Challenge.

RMFAO GC20
You can download this image here:https://thereadingbud.files.wordpress...

For the 6th year of this challenge, we have the same genres that we had last year except for one change - We're shifting Mystery month to March and Women's Fiction to February.
For those who are new to this challenge, for Genre Challenge, we read one genre every month (sometimes two when we have the alternate-genre months.) We post the genre list in advance (for this year's genre list see below) so that we can plan our reads in advance. The focus of this challenge is not only to read more books in the genre we love but also to give us a chance to explore new, unfamiliar or lesser-known genres, not to mention the joy of reading with other book lovers and exploring new titles that they love and adore.
We don't want to burden or restrict the participants by specifying sub-genres because that creates a very different set of its own problems that will hinder the actual reading. Therefore, you can pick the sub-genres as per your convenience.
Another perk of this challenge is that you don't have to buy new books to participate in this challenge; all you have to do is go through your own books and organise your TBR-list as per the genres for this challenge.
Another one of the coolest things about this challenge is that the modtoreras are super awesome sharing tons of resources and recommendations. What else can a bookworm ask for!?

In order to participate, simply announce your participation here (you even blog about it if you want to.)

And now it's time to unveil the Genre List!

RMFAO 2020 Genre-List:
‣ January - Science-Fiction
‣ February - Women's Fiction or Westerns
‣ March* - Mystery-Thriller
‣ April* - YA or Graphic Novels
‣ May - Classics/Literary
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ July - Dystopian/Apocalyptic
‣ August - Contemporary Fiction
‣ September - Humour or World Fiction
‣ October - Horror
‣ November* - Historical or Steampunk
‣ December* - Adventure or Fantasy

*Alternate-Genre Month - For these months, we have 2 genre options. You can pick and do either of the two or both, it's totally upto you!

Monthly Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1-2 books (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2-4 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 4-6 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 6-8 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 8 books or more (challenging)

You can announce the level you'd be going for each month on the respective discussion threads which we will share here every month.

Also, don't forget to mention what type of books you'd be reading:
HB: Hardbacks
PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

PLEASE READ (especially new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.
8. We encourage social shares, so if you'd be sharing or mentioning this challenge on your social media, don't forget to tag - #RMFAO and @thereadingbud

For any queries, you can post a comment or send a message to the group or the mods any time. We'd love to hear from you!

Other challenges that you can participate in:
RMFAO 2020 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2020 Series Challenge
RMFAO 2020 Audiobook Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are, then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

All The Best and Happy Reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3009 comments Mod
Thrilled to see that the Mystery-Thriller month now has 31 days! I'll need those extra days to top last year's total for that month.

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Count me in please!!

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Lorraine wrote: "Count me in please!!"

Yea, Lorraine!

message 5: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Where’s everybody else??? Are we the only 2 doing this challenge? 😂

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 20, 2019 11:29AM) (new)

Cheryl | 1754 comments Mod
I don’t think everyone likes to commit to a reading plan. They’d rather play it by ear, and that’s ok. Of course, I will be joining in. But as for how many books I will read in each category, I just read what I feel like at the time. I almost think I jinx myself when I say a specific number of books, because that’s when I get into a reading slump, lol.

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Cheryl wrote: "I don’t think everyone likes to commit to a reading plan. They’d rather play it by ear, and that’s ok. Of course, I will be joining in. But as for how many books I will read in each category, I jus..."

I can’t commit to more than what I already am due to other challenges I’m doing as well! I’m looking forward to doing them all though and have made 2020 the year I clear my massive TBR pile 😂 I will let myself buy new books, if they’re greats but they have to be shelved until I’ve cleared my existing pile 😉

message 8: by Dagny (new)

Lorraine wrote: "Where’s everybody else??? Are we the only 2 doing this challenge? 😂"

I'm in for sure, Lorraine! Just not as organized as you. :-)

message 9: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Dagny wrote: "Lorraine wrote: "Where’s everybody else??? Are we the only 2 doing this challenge? 😂"

I'm in for sure, Lorraine! Just not as organized as you. :-)"

Good stuff!!!

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments I love these monthly challenges. It's introduced me to new genres and authors, many of which I really enjoyed. The extra challenge for myself is trying to overlap challenges, so I prefer to list my level at the beginning of each new month.

message 11: by Cara (new)

Cara (cararaesimms) | 1 comments I am new to this group and have never really done a reading challenge before, but I would definitely like to try participating in this one!

message 12: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Cara wrote: "I am new to this group and have never really done a reading challenge before, but I would definitely like to try participating in this one!"

They’re addictive!! I now have 8 on the go for 2020! But they are all inter-linked in a way, and are great ways to read new and old books and interact with new people ❤️ Happy reading!!

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Cara wrote: "I am new to this group and have never really done a reading challenge before, but I would definitely like to try participating in this one!"

Good to have you participating, Cara! You're in for quite an experience and, hopefully, a good one.

As Lorraine mentioned, most of us are in multiple reading challenges and it's fun to read a book which counts for more than one of them at the same time.

message 14: by Heena (new)

Forgot to declare that I'm in too... lol.
I am making a list of books as last year it helped me a lot (although only for the first 6 months, but it was very useful!)
I'll be posting my reading list in a day or so...

message 15: by Christina (last edited Apr 01, 2020 01:18AM) (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 12 comments Monthly Levels:

Don't forget to mention book type...
---------------
2020 Genre-List:
Cinder 1/17/20 AB

The Nanny Diaries 2/25/20 PB

Plaster and Poison 3/11/20

‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ October - Horror

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Bring on January! So excited to begin another year. For January with challenge I'm going for level 4, and hoping for closer to 8 books, but we'll see:)

message 17: by Holley (last edited Jan 01, 2020 07:08AM) (new)

Holley | 37 comments Science fiction is one of my favorite genres - so excited for January! I am trying for level 1 because work is still a little crazy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Holley wrote: "Science fiction is one of my favorite genres - so excited for January! I am trying for level 1 because work is still a little crazy.."

Those are two good choices, Holley.

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Holley wrote: "Science fiction is one of my favorite genres - so excited for January! I am trying for level 1 because work is still a little crazy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams[bookcove..."

I'm planning on reading Hitchhiker's Guide too! I was worried I was the only person left on the planet who hadn't read this yet...lol;)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 71 comments I going to try for Level 2 as I finished a science-fiction short story today, The Son and The War of the Worlds is next.

message 21: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I will be joining the challenge again this year. I enjoyed the challenge last year even though I fell off the face of the earth the last few months. Health issues and and massive depressive episode did not allow me the mental strength to follow a story line. I hope to do better this year.

message 22: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I'll be joining the challenge, probably just 1 book a month, I'm a little undecided what I'll read because every time I pick books for the assigned genre, I end up reading something else entirely :)

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Marjorie and B. R. Kyle,

There is absolutely no pressure with these reading challenges. The main thing is to have fun! I don’t always know how many books I’ll read for each month’s challenge until I start it.

Marjorie,

I hope this year brings you better health. Do what you can with your reading, and adapt it to how you feel. We’re just glad that you’re a part of this group!

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Marjorie wrote: "I will be joining the challenge again this year. I enjoyed the challenge last year even though I fell off the face of the earth the last few months. Health issues and and massive depressive episode..."

Good to see you back, Marjorie, and hope you're doing much better healthwise.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

B. R. Kyle wrote: "I'll be joining the challenge, probably just 1 book a month, I'm a little undecided what I'll read because every time I pick books for the assigned genre, I end up reading something else entirely :)"

Ha, ha, I know what you mean. With the possible exception of Mystery month, I don't think there is a month in which I read only the Genre of the month. And like Cheryl, I rarely know how many I'll read until the month starts (and sometimes not even then - best laid plans and all that).

message 26: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Dagny wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "I will be joining the challenge again this year. I enjoyed the challenge last year even though I fell off the face of the earth the last few months. Health issues and and massive d..."

Thank you! I get great joy from this group.

message 27: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Cheryl wrote: "Marjorie and B. R. Kyle,

There is absolutely no pressure with these reading challenges. The main thing is to have fun! I don’t always know how many books I’ll read for each month’s challenge until..."

Thank you! I love this group. It stimulates me and makes me want to do better than I think I can.

message 28: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments I am willing to try again this year. Last year got derailed.

Monthly Levels:

Also, don't forget to mention what type of books you'd be reading:

RMFAO 2020 Genre-List:
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ October - Horror

Now I just need to plan!

message 29: by Ty (new)

Ty Morgan (happiness101) | 4 comments I would like to join this!

Monthly Levels:

I think I would like to get to level 3 for each month. I'm not really a plan ahead, but I will update as I go along.

RMFAO 2020 Genre-List:
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ October - Horror

message 30: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments Dagny wrote: "Best laid plans and all that..."

Plans? What plans? Is that like rules that need to be broken? I am so confused, but I love how lax the rules are😘

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

I created a folder for the January 2020 Science Fiction challenge. Here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 32: by Celia (last edited Apr 30, 2020 09:29PM) (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) I'll try this.

‣ January - Science-Fiction - Moderate - 3 books
(view spoiler)
‣ February - Women's Fiction or Westerns - Casual - 1 book
(view spoiler)
‣ March* - Mystery-Thriller Casual - 1 book
(view spoiler)
‣ April* - YA or Graphic Novels - Bookiopath - 8 books
(view spoiler)
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ October - Horror

message 33: by Heena (new)

Happy New Year, guys!! All the best to all of you for your reading goals!!

message 34: by Heena (new)

Hello, guys, here's the link to the February thread - Feb'20 - Women's Fiction or Western: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Here is the link to the May 2020 Genre Challenge: Classics OR Literary Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Heena (new)

Hi guys... here's the link to the May thread - Non-Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 37: by Heena (new)

Hi guys, I have made changed the month's challenge so do make sure to read the description for it before posting your reads :)
Here's the link for the next month's challenge: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by Heena (new)

Hello, everyone. Here's the link to the August challenge thread - Contemporary Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Here's the link to the November'20 Genre Challenge: Historical or Steampunk

message 40: by Cheryl (last edited Nov 30, 2020 10:23AM) (new)

Here is the link to the December 2020 Genre Challenge: Fantasy or Adventure: