The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

1 view
Why I wrote my novel JANEOLOGY

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments I wrote this book in the five year period between the death of my mother and the birth of my first child. I found myself thinking about my mother and then looking at her granddaughter playing on the floor - and wondering - how much of her is in my daughter? How much did I pass on to her? So I began thinking about a character from the perspective of her genealogy.

I went to my genealogy software program and toyed around with making a pedigree chart for one character. In the end, that chart became my novel outline, as I followed each different ancestor until they told me their individual story. Turn out, there were a lot of family secrets in there that had a domino effect down the gene pool.

If you want to see the pedigree chart and the family photos that inspired some of the writing, go to www.karenharringtonbooks.com

I really recommend fleshing out a character's genealogy this way. A lot of writing books say you must know the kind of toothpaste or color preference of a character. But knowing those things isn't as important as knowing why she made those choices - and much of this is from nature and nurture.

Best,

Karen Harrington

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfehlbaum) | 11 comments Karen, that is fascinating. I cannot wait for my copy of Janeology to arrive!
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com