Behind the Pages with The Traveling Sisters discussion

Archived / Author Q & A's > Q & A Spoiler Free /Teresa Sorkin & Tullan Holmqvist Authors of The Woman in the Park

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews | 401 comments Mod
I can not stop thinking about The Woman in the Park by Teresa Sorkin and I am looking forward to finding out more about the story and the authors' writing process.

Please join us!!

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Can not wait to discuss with all of you! Thanks!

message 3: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Looking so much forward! Thank you!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews (lindsaylivi) | 78 comments Mod
I’ll have to see if I can track down a copy to read before this date. 😊

Thank you so much for joining us Teresa and Tullan! I am going to get started adding some questions over the next few days. I am excited to see some insight into the story and your reading process.

I am blown away with how layered the story is with those clues. How did you collaborate on writing the story?

What does your writing day look like to you both?

How did you come up with the idea for the story?

I loved the setting here with the park and it really added an unsettling feeling here to what is real or not. It created some tension there for me. Why did you choose the park as a setting?

How did you go about capturing the voice of Sarah and getting into her head?

message 11: by Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews (last edited Jan 04, 2020 10:58AM) (new)

Do you map out or plan the twists and clues or do you feel your writing guides you as you go?

What came first the plot or the idea of the characters?

What was one struggle each of you faced in your writing process?

Throughout the story, I questioned what was real and what was a delusional belief.

How were you able to keep that suspense going? Was that something you plotted through research or did the characters guide you? or something else?

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Hi Ladies! Thank you so much for having us! We are excited that you enjoyed our story. The Woman in the Park started with us questioning “what if? Tullan and I imagined the life of our protagonist after we both saw a woman in the park several times. She was always alone and we each had a story about her. We have been friends for years and both of our children would go to the park where we imagined the story taking place.

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments I love to write in the morning after I first wake up. My mind is fresh and sometimes ideas come to me in dreams which I try and jot down. After my morning coffee or tea I try to write 1000 words or so and then call Tullan. We talk a lot and keep the dialogue going. We discuss all the aspects of plot and character for hours. And then we each write again. It’s really about keeping up with the discipline.

message 16: by Norma (new)

Norma | 72 comments Mod
Hi Teresa and Tullan! Thank you so much for joining us! I thought The Woman in the Park was absolutely fabulous!!

I absolutely love my covers and titles of books. Did you have a say or a hand in the cover design?

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Without giving too much away, Tullan and I were fascinated by the psychology of loneliness and obsession. We love classic noir and Hitchcock. We are both screenwriters as well and wanted to write a cinematic novel, one we could visually see. The park was a perfect setting. It can be a happy or lonely place we thought and we wanted to explore those feelings. Our protagonist represents a little slice of all women who are going through a different stage of their lives. We just took it one step further and imagined what would happen if our experiences were not what we believed. Don’t want to say too much more on that or we may give away some of the twists. Suffice it to say, the idea came to us one day while we were both in the park. We saw a beautiful woman who was alone and imagined a story surrounding her. That was the spark,

message 18: by Norma (new)

Norma | 72 comments Mod
After reading above about how the setting of the book came to be in a park with you both questioning "what if" after seeing a woman in the park several times makes me even happier with the title of this book.

I absolutely love titles of books and like to figure out why a certain title is used. I love the insight that you shared about that! Do you have anything else to share about the title? Did you both know what the books title was going to be before or after finishing or starting it?

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Thanks! We too love titles and this title was never in question, in fact at one point, we asked our editor at the publishing house of we should find another title because there were so many The Woman in titles out there but she agreed that the title fit.

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments My biggest struggle with writing is just finding the time. The story is always in my head and getting it down on paper takes lots of discipline. I am an avid reader but I find that reading other novels while in the writing process slows me down at times. But can’t help reading because I love it so much and I think it helps my writing to read a good thriller. Just have to balance the time.

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments We love covers too. A great cover does mean a lot. We definitely did have a lot of say with regards to the cover for The Woman in the Park. We always knew we wanted red and black. And our editor truly helped to convey the feeling we wanted and we absolutely loved what he showed us. It was ultimately a choice between two that we liked and finally we chose this one because it really captures Sarah and the mystery that surrounds her.

message 22: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "What does your writing day look like to you both?"

Thank you so much for asking great questions! Writing takes time and I try and write as much as I can! I wake up early and after dropping kids at school, I write or do my investigative work (international investigations that I work on mainly from my home office.) The writing work varies depending on what I'm working on - it can be plotting or outlining the story, revisions, new chapter or a call or meeting with my "The Woman in the Park" co-writer Teresa. Then there is also a lot of work related to the writing, like marketing, events and calls. Often I end up writing late into the night after the rest of the family are asleep... I just love the creative process and that keeps me going!

message 23: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "I loved the setting here with the park and it really added an unsettling feeling here to what is real or not. It created some tension there for me. Why did you choose the park as a setting?"

Teresa and I met in the park (Central Park in NY) and we both spent many afternoons with our kids in the park, watching them play in the playground, chatting with the other moms (and a few dads) - it becomes a little world of its own, sometimes fun and sometimes lonely. Watching children play and grow up is such a direct reminder of constant change in our lives and questions arise about who we really are, who we wanted to be and are we where we wanted to be? And then we started our story with - what if we met a handsome stranger on a bench in the park...

message 24: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "Do you map out or plan the twists and clues or do you feel your writing guides you as you go?

What came first the plot or the idea of the characters?"

Yes, we mapped out where the story was going and then let the characters speak to us as they came alive. The seed of our main character Sarah Rock came from a woman we had both seen in the park and we also used inspiration from our own lives, feelings and situations we have both experienced and related to. Getting inside the mind of another person is the most exciting thing, to see how alike and how different we can be, where we connect and where we differ. In the end, we are all human beings living our lives in this world and curiosity makes everything more interesting.

message 25: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "Throughout the story, I questioned what was real and what was a delusional belief.

How were you able to keep that suspense going? Was that something you plotted through research or did the charac..."

We all have a dark place and we let ourselves go there in the creative process. It is one of the most interesting parts of writing or creating - imagining "what if" - what if that was me? We all have fears and challenges and what does it feel like to go there. We also did a lot of research about mental illness, the line between what is "normal" and obsession or psychosis. The suspense came out organically from the story.

I love that about the park and it's such a great place to imagine stories about the different people in the park. It's so interesting how you took that and then develop a character. I love how you said it's becomes a world of its own Tullan! When my boys were older, I would walk in the park myself or read but it always gave me a lonely unsettling feeling.

Is there anything you would like readers to get from your book?

Teresa, you mentioned you are an avid reader. Do you have any favourite characters that fascinated you?

Tullan?

What is next for you both? Are you working on anything together?

message 30: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "I love that about the park and it's such a great place to imagine stories about the different people in the park. It's so interesting how you took that and then develop a character. I love how you ..."
Yes! The park can feel so beautiful, safe and alive at times and then lonely and scary at other times, it can be like a mirror for what is going on inside of us. And so many different kinds of people passing through. I have had the most profound conversations with people that I've just met in the park. And a great place to let the imagination run...

message 31: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "What is next for you both? Are you working on anything together?"

Yes! We are working on our next thriller together! I'm also working on a couple of writing projects of my own - including a YA novel about Mimi, a young girl living in NY and involves an ancient family notebook from Florence during Leonardo da Vinci's time.

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Our next novel is another psychological thriller this time set while a group of friends are on vacation. We are having a lot of fun with this one! I also am writing another novel as well. Tullan and I will continue to write together and separately as we both just love telling stories.

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Brenda wrote “ Teresa, you mentioned you are an avid reader. Do you have any favourite characters that fascinated you?

Certainly Therese Raquin from Emile Zola’s from the same name novel. She is a classic villain heroine and we used her quite a bit as an inspiration for The Woman in the Park, I did enjoy the novel “YOU” by Caroline Keepnes which is now a Netflix series and so so good. The novel really dives into the mind of a sociopath but somehow makes him Likable. Another favorite novel is Donna Tartts The “Secret History”. I enjoyed reading the mystery. When I first read that book, It actually inspired me to become a writer. But one of my all time favorite characters is Jay Gatsby. His obsession and delusion brought him to great lengths to impress Daisy. Such a classic and grandiose character for sure.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sorkin (teresasorkin) | 10 comments Brenda Traveling Sisters wrote: Is there anything you would like readers to get from your book?

We want to entertain our readers of course with a mystery that has some great twists, characters and story. But, we also want readers to relate to Sarah and her journey, and her feeling of loneliness that we all have had at some time. No one is alone on this journey and mental illness, depression or just plain feeling sad is something that we all know about in one way or another. We want readers to really see Sarah’s world from within. We all live our world that way with our inner voice and we wanted to write a story where that was brought to light. We hope Sarah comes to life for our readers and really stays with them long after they finish the last page.

message 35: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "Teresa, you mentioned you are an avid reader. Do you have any favourite characters that fascinated you?

Tullan?"

Yes, I love to read! I always wish I had more time to read and usually have 2 or 3 books that I'm reading at the same time. I love thrillers and mysteries and growing up, I read the classic mysteries and adventure stories like Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Edgar Allan Poe and Jules Verne. Being Swedish I like to keep up with the Scandinavian noirs (just read a Viveca Sten thriller set in the archipelago of Stockholm and made me miss summer, also enjoy Stieg Larsson's and Liza Marklund's books.) I like historical books and biographies (love reading about the renaissance and Leonardo da Vinci and find it so interesting to read about people's lives - can recommend Walter Isaacson's book on Leonardo.) I also read spiritual and parenting books for inspiration (just started "Grown & Flown"). And I am getting into audiobooks - so excited that our "The Woman in the Park" will very soon be an audiobook - coming out on Jan 28 by Tantor!
https://tantor.com/the-woman-in-the-p...

If this wasn't a spoiler-free thread I would like to say more about Sarah. I think you accomplished what you mention above with her. She came to life for me and will be a character I think about for a while!

That's exciting it will be coming out on audiobook. I think listening to it will bring Sarah alive even more!

I am looking forward and can't wait for your next thriller. Thank you both for joining us and answering our questions. I loved seeing more insight into your writing process and the story.

message 37: by Norma (new)

Norma | 72 comments Mod
Thank you so much for joining us and answering our questions Teresa & Tullan! I will be patiently waiting for your next release!

message 38: by Tullan (new)

Tullan Holmqvist | 9 comments Thank you for reading and great questions!!

Behind the Pages with The Traveling Sisters

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in the Park (other topics)