Book Cougars discussion

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
Readalongs > Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 128 comments Mod
Join us for our 12th readalong!

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead was first published in Poland in 2009. It was translated into English by Antonia Lloyd-Jones and won the 2018 Nobel Prize for Literature.

Our conversation about the book will air on February 18, 2020, so we'll probably start reading the book in late January/early February.

Jump in to discuss anytime! If your comment has spoilers, please say so at the beginning of your post.

Thanks, and Happy Reading!

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb | 32 comments Just ordered my copy from Book Depository. The hold wait at my library was crazy long. Can't wait to start this one.

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 113 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "Just ordered my copy from Book Depository. The hold wait at my library was crazy long. Can't wait to start this one."
So glad you will be joining us!

message 4: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 113 comments Mod
Here is the video with an interview of the translator - Antonia Lloyd Jones - that I mentioned on Episode 92.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLIl...

message 5: by Nancy (last edited Dec 24, 2019 05:14PM) (new) - added it

Nancy Motto | 2 comments Listened to Podcast 91 and ended up reserving Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk which I plan to start tomorrow as well as The Widows (Kinship #1) by Jess Montgomery and The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai . I'm set for a while.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail | 10 comments I'm #19 on the Holds list!

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 24 comments Mod
I'm #32 (on 6 copies) in the digital library. I may have to go to the physical library to get it sooner.

message 8: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (godmotherx5) | 11 comments I’m #50 at my library. Looks like I’ll be making a purchase.

Ellen | 2 comments I was so lucky, got a copy from my library and already finished it! I cant wait for the discussion.

Sandy | 6 comments I read this a few months ago and am looking forward to the discussion.

Heather Harper | 3 comments I bought the book for the read-along and so glad I did...only a chapter or so in, but the price of the book was worth it for this one line: "And the flowers in his garden are neat and tidy, standing straight and slender, as if they'd been to the gym." How delightfully weird.

I look forward to discussing in this format...I've never done such a thing.

message 12: by Nancy (last edited Dec 29, 2019 08:24AM) (new) - added it

Nancy Motto | 2 comments I noticed in the comments above that there are crazy wait times at many libraries but there are only four holds in my library system. Hmm? I just now finished this and I am going to need some time to process this one. Really don't know how I feel. Not a conventional mystery novel; if it can be called a mystery novel at all. I won't be around February 18 for discussion but really looking forward to hearing other people's interpretation and feelings when I return from vacation

message 13: by Chris (new) - added it

Nancy wrote: "I noticed in the comments above that there are crazy wait times at many libraries but there are only four holds in my library system. Hmm? I just now finished this and I am going to need some time ..."

Here in Guilford, there are 14 copies (!) with "only" six people on the waitlist...and another copy on order. Granted, this is a state-wide system.

Interesting to hear you're wondering if it can be called a mystery at all. I'm starting it in early January. Have a great vacation!

message 14: by Chris (new) - added it

Heather wrote: "I bought the book for the read-along and so glad I did...only a chapter or so in, but the price of the book was worth it for this one line: "And the flowers in his garden are neat and tidy, standin..."

So happy you're joining us, Heather! That is delightfully weird. I love it and can totally picture it.

Discussing books on Goodreads can be a lot of fun but sometimes frustrating because I don't think the platform's flow is all that user-friendly. I know some authors think Goodreads is the bane of their existence (one-stars and sometimes opinions that are unjustified). As a reader, I enjoy reading other people's take on books and have made some friends here.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 11 comments My public library has three copies available so I'm going to chance it in the morning and see if I can just drive by and get one without placing a hold. A friend picked this as her best read of 2019 and her opinion on it made me want to move it up my list, so I was pleased to see this as your pick!

message 16: by Chris (new) - added it

Nancy wrote: "Listened to Podcast 91 and ended up reserving Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk which I plan to start tomorrow as well as The Widows (Kinship #1) by Jess Montgomery and [bookcove..."

You're definitely set! I'm still on the fence about The Great Believers. I started The Hollows last night and it's off to a good start.

message 17: by Chris (new) - added it

Tina wrote: "I’m #50 at my library. Looks like I’ll be making a purchase."

Wowzers. That's a lot of holds. Glad you'll be joining us!

message 18: by Chris (new) - added it

Gail wrote: "I'm #19 on the Holds list!"

Here's hoping your fellow library patrons are fast readers. ;)

message 19: by Chris (new) - added it

Linda wrote: "I'm #32 (on 6 copies) in the digital library. I may have to go to the physical library to get it sooner."

I noticed in our system there were more holds on the digital copies than the physical copies. They'll be happy to see you. :)

message 20: by Chris (new) - added it

Ellen wrote: "I was so lucky, got a copy from my library and already finished it! I cant wait for the discussion."

You are on it, Ellen!

message 21: by Chris (new) - added it

Sandy wrote: "I read this a few months ago and am looking forward to the discussion."

I see you gave it 4 stars. That's encouraging.

message 22: by Chris (new) - added it

Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "My public library has three copies available so I'm going to chance it in the morning and see if I can just drive by and get one without placing a hold. A friend picked this as her best read of 201..."

Fingers crossed for you, Jenny!

message 23: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 113 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! Like Chris, I plan to start the book in early January. I'm looking forward to chatting about it here. Thanks for joining in the conversation.

message 24: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 113 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "I bought the book for the read-along and so glad I did...only a chapter or so in, but the price of the book was worth it for this one line: "And the flowers in his garden are neat and tidy, standin..."

Definitely a line to remember! Thanks for sharing. It is interesting to think about the translator here. I wonder if it was difficult to wrestle a meaning from the Polish or if this sums up exactly what Tokarczuk was trying to get across? No matter, I'll never be able to look at a flower bed without that line coming to mind!

Heather Harper | 3 comments Yeah, I've been thinking about the translator a lot. I admittedly haven't read a lot of translations, but there have been quite a few words that I jotted down in my "cool word" notebook, and I've wondered how the heck that word was chosen by the translator and how faithful it is to the original.

Heather Harper | 3 comments I stayed up way too late finishing this last night. Can’t wait to discuss and hear what people think. I struggled through the middle but the end was totally worth it. Loved it...great rec! Dying to opine!

message 27: by Ryan (last edited Jan 08, 2020 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan (ryanludman) | 3 comments I thought the translator did a great job, but I thought about the translator way more for this book than I have for others. The word choice is so specific to really capture the voice of the narrator. I, too, am interested in how some of these words are chosen. In addition, I wonder how faithful the nicknames of the characters like "Bigfoot" and "Oddball" and "Dizzy" are to the original names.

Throughout the text there are capitalizations of certain nouns that seem to be added for emphasis by the narrator. I wonder if this carried over from the original text and how it was done by the translator as well.

Great book. I can't wait to hear what others think.

message 28: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 24 comments Mod
Yeaaaaaaaa! I just got an e-mail from my library that a copy is in for me!

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 1 comments Felt that this book was a bit slow at first but ended up really loving it and the main character, Janina. Looking forward to the book discussion!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 11 comments Heather wrote: "Yeah, I've been thinking about the translator a lot. I admittedly haven't read a lot of translations, but there have been quite a few words that I jotted down in my "cool word" notebook, and I've w..."

I thought about the translator a lot too, especially in translating Blake and that whole discussion.

My spoilery comment is that (view spoiler)

message 31: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb | 32 comments Finished last night! I loved Janina from page one. For some reason the feel of the story, the quirkiness and the small village setting reminded me a bit of the movie Waking Ned Devine or the series Derry Girls. It was just the feel I got.

Jenny - I agree with you about the big plot points!! I had to double read that one sentence!