Pelham Library (Alabama) discussion

Silent Book Club > Silent Book Club

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russ (last edited Dec 03, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

Russ Mitchell (russellmania) | 10 comments Mod
Hey guys! Mary and I are in the planning stages of a fun new monthly activity that will start in January 2020. We're starting a Silent Book Club and you are invited! More info specific to our chapter will come shortly, but to start, here's a brief explanation from silentbook.club:

"Silent Book Club started in 2012 with a couple of friends reading in companionable silence at our neighborhood bar. We loved books, and reading with friends, but most of our previous attempts at book clubs had fizzled out.

Often with traditional book clubs there's the scramble to finish the assigned book, and the pressure to have something smart to say. Wouldn't it be great to have a book club where you could just enjoy books, friends, and wine—without any homework?

We started Silent Book Club because reading with friends enriches our lives and makes us happy. We love hearing about what people are reading (often in their other book clubs) and we think it's important to put down our phones and be social. Real, live, breathing-the-same-air social, not hearting-you-on-Instagram social.

Silent Book Club is about community. Everyone is welcome, and anyone can join or launch a chapter. We encourage people all over the world to start their own Silent Book Clubs. All you need is a friend, a café, and a book. We have more than 100 active chapters in cities of all sizes, and new chapters are being launched by volunteers every week."

More info is available here.

Cheers!
Russ

message 2: by Duski (new)

Duski (dvanfleet) | 2 comments This sounds so wonderful!!!

message 3: by Russ (new)

Russ Mitchell (russellmania) | 10 comments Mod
Duski wrote: "This sounds so wonderful!!!"

Hey Duski! I'm about to post this as it's own thread, but I just wanted to give you the update that we plan to do this the second Thursday every month. January will be on the 9th from 5:45 to 7 PM.

Cheers!
Russ