Hoyt's Huns discussion

Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1)
This topic is about Winter Rose
Book Of the Month Discussion > December 2019 -- Winter Rose -- no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary Catelli | 1511 comments Mod
For checking in to tell us you're reading, and spoiler-free discussion

Sheryl Tribble | 59 comments I generally like Patricia A. McKillip, and I read this one when it came out, but I didn't 'get' it. McKillip is known for lyrical, dense prose, which usually I think creates an evocative mood, but with this one I felt lost a lot. Although that may be because I had been told it was a version of the Snow White and Rose Red fairy tale, and I kept trying to see how that fit. (Mostly, it doesn't -- the only real plot similarities being that there are two sisters and an enchanted "Prince").

Have to see what I think now I've hopefully got past those "disappointed expectations."

message 3: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Catelli | 1511 comments Mod
The analogy I've heard is more (view spoiler)

Sheryl Tribble | 59 comments Now that I can buy. I had forgotten the rose featured so prominently in that story, and there are a lot of other parallels as well.

I'm not feeling nearly so lost this time through, but I definitely prefer third person with McKillip. I can see why she chose first person for this one, and it's not clunky or anything, but I think that's part of why this one wasn't a favorite. When first person works for me, I quit noticing it, but I kept noticing in this one. Maybe I'm just too used to McKillip's "voice" in third -- I've read a lot of books by her, some of them many times.