2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
This topic is about The Pillars of the Earth
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 Buddy & Twin > The Pillars of Earth (Kingsbridge #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Jan 11, 2020 08:30PM) (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments This thread is to discuss The Pillars of the Earth, the first book in the Kingsbridge Series by Ken Follett.

Pages: 976 pages

Length: 2 Months (December 2019 & January 2020)

Participants: Chantal, Leona, Monica, oshizu, RJ, Romaine, SarahKat, Sonsoles, Therese, Wolf (Alpha)

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments Thank you for posting!

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Yes thanks Kristin! When is everyone starting this one? I could start right away but I could also wait a week or so.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (mjdowens) | 5 comments So happy to be able to get this one off of my TBR

message 5: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments I started this and only have finished chapter 1. Trying to take it slow so I can make it last the 2 months.

I'll just say whether I love or hate this book by the end of it, the prologue alone has me firmly believing Ken Follett is one of the most amazing authors ever. I can't even explain how beautiful I thought the writing for that was. I may use this book for Popsugar's "Great first line" prompt next year.

Chrissy | 213 comments Are there plans to read the next book in Feb? If so, put me on the list for that! I read this one last year (actually a very long audiobook) and really liked it.

message 7: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 07, 2019 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Chrissy wrote: "Are there plans to read the next book in Feb? If so, put me on the list for that! I read this one last year (actually a very long audiobook) and really liked it."

Chrissy,
There's a Buddy Read for Kingsbridge #2 scheduled for February/March. You can sign up to join it by posting on the thread below:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Cheers!

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Chrissy wrote: "Are there plans to read the next book in Feb? If so, put me on the list for that! I read this one last year (actually a very long audiobook) and really liked it."

Same here Chrissy. I started the second one a couple of months ago but never got to finish it and I really want to.

message 9: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments SarahKat wrote: "Yes thanks Kristin! When is everyone starting this one? I could start right away but I could also wait a week or so."

Sarahkat
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this book so much!
It will be another week or so before I start this book, but I'm really looking forward to it.

message 10: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments Anyone else already reading?

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Chantal wrote: "Anyone else already reading?"

I am! Only on chapter 2 right now

message 12: by Sonsoles (new)

Sonsoles (sonsoles190) | 112 comments I haven't started yet. I wanted to finish other bookd that I had commited myself to read, but those are quick. I will start hopefully by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one =)

Catherine | 536 comments I hope you all enjoy this book! I read this one years ago and just fell in love with the world and time period!

message 14: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments SarahKat wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Anyone else already reading?"

I am! Only on chapter 2 right now"

I just started in chapter 3.

message 15: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments Am I the only one irritated by the abusive language for sex in this book? It is not that I am a prude, but it doesn't enriches the story.

message 16: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments I remember cringing at a few of Tom's thoughts in chapter 2, but nothing has bothered me since then, sexwise. I just finished chapter 4...
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Just (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just | 16 comments This book is my all time favorite book!

message 18: by Chantal (last edited Dec 13, 2019 12:42AM) (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments SarahKat wrote: "I remember cringing at a few of Tom's thoughts in chapter 2, but nothing has bothered me since then, sexwise. I just finished chapter 4...
[spoilers removed]"

I didnt had that! It might be my dutch translation of some words in the book that sets me off. I am now in chapter 5.

message 19: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments I just realized that when I said I finished chapter 4, I had actually only finished part IV of Chapter 1. This book is hard to navigate on the app on my phone apparently. Now that I know there are parts in every chapter, I will pay more attention to where I'm at.

So Chantal, I may not have even been far enough in the book to know if there's any abusive sex language.

I just finished Part I of Chapter 2. I enjoy the book, but it's brutal and heavy. It's hard to sit down and read a lot of it in one sitting.

message 20: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments I just started reading this book, but is my edition different than everyone else's?
I checked its Table of Contents and see:
Part One (1125-1136) : Chapter 1-4
Part Two (1136-1137): Chapters 5-7
Part Three (1140-1142): Chapters 8-10
etc. through Part Six

Not that I'm far along enough to post any impressions yet, but may I simply refer to chapter numbers?
SarahKat, you must have really terrific vision! I cannot imagine reading a book on my phone. But then again, my eyesight ain't so great.

message 21: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments That is what my table of contents says too. But while reading chapter 1, there were sections labeled I, II, III, IV, V before getting to chapter 2.

I have terrible eyesight actually. But the app shows the words just slightly smaller than a computer does, so I just have to "turn" the page every 2 paragraphs.

message 22: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Thank you for explaining that about the Roman numeral sections.
Right after you rwote that, I reached section II of Chapter 1.

I' finished Chapter 1 and will resume reading tomorrow.

message 23: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments It is funny because my book has main chapters in roman letters and under the roman chapter letters are numbers for parts.

message 24: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 17, 2019 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments That's so crazy how various editions are structured using different numbering systems, Chantal.

I just finished Chapter 2, which introduced Philip of Gwynedd of St. Johns in the Forest. Kindle says I'm at the 17% mark.
Random Impressions
(view spoiler)

I absolutely love how the historical events of Chapter 2 overlap with where I'm at in the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael series!!!
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm basically unfamiliar with British history unless it's the temporal setting of one of the historical mystery series I'm reading...

message 25: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments I also just finished chapter 2 last night, oshizu!

Comments on your random impressions:
(view spoiler)

How far are you in Cadfael? I picked up all my dad's copies but I'm waiting until 2020 to delve into them. I only read the first one this year.

message 26: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments I'm about halfway through chapter 3 now, and Chantal, I have run into abusive sex language. This whole chapter is quite disturbing. (view spoiler)

message 27: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments I just finished Chapter 6 which is told from Tom Builder's perspective. Kindle tells me I'm at 41%.

Up to the end of Chapter 3 (which takes place at Earlcastle, mostly)
(view spoiler)

Thoughts on Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Thoughts on Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Thoughts on Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

SarahKat, I've read the first six books of the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael series. Book #6 takes place in 1139 against the backdrop of the civil war between Stephen and Maud. (Chapters 1-4 of Pillars of the Earth take place during 1135-1136). I hope to continue with the series in 2020!

message 28: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Just finished chapter 4.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Incidentally, as much as I moan and groan about how little I like this or that character, I seem to be enjoying this book a lot.
Despite it's length, the book never feels slow (like some books I've read this year have. Shadow of the Wind *coughs).

message 30: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments For me the book feels slow at times. Things could be quicker on some parts. And who guessed that males had so much conspiracy going on lol

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 828 comments Chantal wrote: "For me the book feels slow at times. Things could be quicker on some parts. And who guessed that males had so much conspiracy going on lol"

It was a few years back when I read this (18 or 19 years I think) but I also remember thinking that the book dragged in parts, especially the long info dumps about cathedral building.

I'm reading the sequel right now, so I'll officially join that discussion in Feb-Mar if that's OK.

message 32: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments I have read to the end of Chapter 12 (72%).
I couldn't stop reading the last several chapters, but I'll need to take a little break so this book will last me until January,!

A few thoughts on the plot up to the end of Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

@RJ
I don't mind the descriptions of cathedral building---the Kingsbridge Cathedral is, after all, one of the story's main characters. :)

message 33: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Oshizu, I felt the same about Shadow of the Wind!

I just finished chapter 5 of this one:
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Romaine (new) - added it

Romaine | 7 comments Picking up my copy tomorrow, I'm looking forward to joining in the discussion :)

message 35: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Romaine wrote: "Picking up my copy tomorrow, I'm looking forward to joining in the discussion :)"

Yay! Looking forward to you joining us, Romaine!

message 36: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Chapter 6:
(view spoiler)

Chapter 7:
(view spoiler)

I really like this book. It surprises me how much I care about a cathedral getting built and all the politics going on around it.

message 37: by Leona (new) - added it

Leona (mnleona) | 111 comments I happened to see this board the other day. It will be a "Y" book club read for me in 2020. I have already read the book years ago and watched the TV movie more than once. I have the first book but not the second one.

message 38: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 27, 2019 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments I am also really enjoying this book.
I no longer reading it before going to bed because I end up staying up too late, without being able to stop reading, haha.

Response to SarahKat's Ch7 thoughts
(view spoiler)

SarahKat, this is off-topic for the discussion of Pillars of the Earth; however, I'm currently also reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. It is also a heavily political story which is set in an imaginary Renaissance Italy with magic but without the graphic, sexual violence of Pillars of the Earth. The main characters are traveling musicians--I think you would love Tigana.

message 39: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Thanks for the recommendation, oshizu! I added it to my list!

message 40: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Thoughts through chapter 10, somewhat organized by character/plot point.

(view spoiler)

message 41: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Through chapter 13...

(view spoiler)

message 42: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Through chapter 13
(view spoiler)

I'm reading Ch 16 now--need to take a break so I can stretch this book into January.... :D

message 43: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB | 2735 comments This topic has been moved to the January 2020 Buddy Reads folder.

message 44: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments Kristin wrote: "This topic has been moved to the January 2020 Buddy Reads folder."

Thank you, Kristin! You're so on top of things!

message 45: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments oshizu wrote: "Through chapter 13
After Jack's show of patience and understanding of Aliena's feelings and her marriage to Alfred (ugh), I'm so glad she reciprocated by making the journey with Tommy to find him a..."

January is only 2 days away. I've had a lot of time to read this week but I go back to work Thursday so I'll probably just finish this one up on the 1st :)

Another through chapter 13 thought: (view spoiler)

message 46: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 4690 comments In response to SarahKat's additional Ch13 thought:
(view spoiler)

message 47: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2397 comments Chapter 16! Now I'm taking a break until January starts so I'll finish in 2020

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Therese (new)

Therese   | 129 comments I'll do this. I need to get this off my TBR shelf!

message 49: by Sonsoles (new)

Sonsoles (sonsoles190) | 112 comments Sorry to say that I quit this series for now.

I didn't have time to read during last 3 weeks with holidays and traveling... I haven't even started and I don't think I can catch up before you start the next book of the series. It's a long book to read in such a short time for me. I really felt like reading it for it has been in my list for years, but it seems this wasn't a good time for me.

I hope you all enjoy this series.

See you in other Buddy Reads ^^

message 50: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal | 403 comments No problems @Sonsoles! I am trying to find time again to end this book. I have been on 36% for a while and during christmas and newyears had no time to read.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.