Book Nook Cafe discussion

Books > The Book Salon ~~ December 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 19099 comments

This the thread for general book discussions for December 2019

Good Grief ! Where did the year go?

Tell us what you just read, are currently reading or plan to read. Tell us about your favorite author. Have you read some book news? Share it with the group. Anything related to books and reading, we want to hear all about it !
:)

message 2: by Harshit (new)

Harshit Vyas | 2 comments I enjoy exploring various genres. Recently, I began reading fantasy. And where to start better than Harry Potter(7th remaining).
Currently I am reading When the Giants walked the Earth. (Biography of Led Zeppelin)
I have grown very fond of Markus Zusak. Although I am a child in the reading world but he is the best story teller I have came across.
If you read biographies, about football/ bands/ musicians, I would like to follow you and recommendations are always welcome.

Thank you. Happy reading!

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra | 1056 comments I enjoyed Markus Zusak's book, The Book Thief, a lot and mean to read his other books one day.
Harry Potter is a fun read. I like the movies, too. They are quite well done.
You'll find lots of books to read in this thread and the "what did you read last month" thread. I almost always add a book or two to my TBR list from the books listed by everyone here.

message 4: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 19099 comments Harshit wrote: "I enjoy exploring various genres. Recently, I began reading fantasy. And where to start better than Harry Potter(7th remaining).
Currently I am reading When the Giants walked the Earth. (Biography..."

Welcome to Book Nook Cafe ! Thanks for joining our group.

message 5: by Alias Reader (new)

---- The Second Biggest Nothing
by Colin Cotterill

Starring: witty 76-year-old former national coroner of Laos Dr. Siri Paiboun (who hosts the spirit of a 1,000-year-old shaman).

What happens: It's 1980, and a note tied to the tail of his dog threatens Siri and everyone he loves, sending him searching for clues amidst three incidents from his past: meeting a friend in 1930s Paris, a 1956 Saigon museum visit, and a Vietnam prisoner of war negotiation in 1972 Hanoi.

Why you might like it: Like the rest of the entries in the quirky series, this 14th book features supernatural elements and delightfully wry humor.

---- Curious Toys
by Elizabeth Hand

What it's about: After her sister disappeared two years ago, 14-year-old Pin, who lives near 1915 Chicago's Riverview amusement park with her fortune-teller mother, began posing as a boy for safety reasons. Now, after finding a girl's body in the park, she teams with reclusive artist Henry Darger to track down a serial killer.

Read this next: For another gritty mystery set at a carnival, try Stephen King's 1970s-set Joyland. For another strong female detective who cross-dresses due to society's restrictions, try E.S. Thomson's Jem Flockhart mysteries, set in a vividly depicted 1850s London.

---- Word to the Wise
by Jenn McKinlay

What happens: Connecticut librarian Lindsey Norris helps a newcomer find books, and he begins stalking her. When he's killed, the police arrest Lindsey's tour-boat captain fiancé and she tries to find the real killer

Reviewers say: "Rarely does a clean-as-a-whistle cozy qualify as riveting, but this one definitely does" (Publishers Weekly).

Series alert: This is the 10th in the Library Lovers series, and while anyone can enjoy it, those who want to watch relationships develop should pick up the 1st entry, Books Can Be Deceiving.

----- The Chestnut Man
by Søren Sveistrup

What it is: a chilling, suspenseful Scandinavian crime novel featuring two newly partnered Copenhagen police detectives, Naia Thulin and Mark Hess, who don't get along at first.

What happens: A serial killer leaves dolls made of chestnuts and matchsticks at murder scenes and Thulin and Hess follow forensic clues linking the case to a politician’s kidnapped daughter.

For fans of: Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbo, Jussi Adler-Olsen, or Helene Tursten.

------ The Bone Fire
by S.D. Sykes

The place: 1361 England during a resurgence of the plague.

What happens: Oswald de Lacy, Lord Somershill, moves his family to a friend’s remote castle in the Kent salt marshes where other guests have also taken refuge from the disease...and then the murders start.

Who it's for: This 4th in an acclaimed series, which can be read as a stand-alone, will please those who enjoy closed-circle mysteries, atmospheric medieval settings, and deft plotting.

------ Sorry for the Dead
by Nicola Upson

Starring: real-life British Golden Age mystery author Josephine Tey.

What happens: Past and present collide in 1938 when, to protect her name after a gossipy news story, Tey reconsiders the suspicious 1915 death that closed the girls' horticultural school she taught at and also threatened to destroy the lives of the two women who ran it.

What sets it apart: Combining period details, appealing characters, and a compelling plot that traverses decades, this 8th in a series also depicts the trials and dangers faced by same-sex couples of the time.

******* Holiday Country House Mysteries

----- Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas
by Stephanie Barron

What it's about: Spending part of the snowy 1814 Christmas holidays at the country home of the Chute family (and happily away from her parsimonious brother and his hypochondriac wife), Pride and Prejudice author Jane Austen teams with a fellow guest, artist Raphael West, after a murder occurs and an invaluable political treaty goes missing.

Read this next: If you enjoy this well-researched 12th in a historical mystery series, try Anna Dean's mysteries starring Dido Kent, who has a background similar to Jane, or Carrie Bebris' Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries, which star Austen's characters but include hints of supernatural elements.

------- The Ghost of Christmas Past
by Rhys Bowen

What it's about: Just before Christmas 1906, Molly Murphy Sullivan is struggling with depression in the aftermath of trauma and miscarriage.

What happens: Molly, her police detective husband, and their two-year-old son are gathered with friends at a Hudson River mansion when a 13-year-old girl claiming to be their hosts' long-missing daughter appears.

Who it's for: Readers who enjoy compelling stories featuring strong women will appreciate this 17th series entry; for those who want to start with book one, pick up Murphy's Law.

------ Hercule Poirot's Christmas
by Agatha Christie

What it is: a locked-room mystery that takes place at a snow-covered English country house at Christmas.

What happens: A manipulative and cruel patriarch calls his family together for the holidays and proceeds to announce that he's changing his will. Of course he ends up dead, and famous private detective Hercule Poirot, who's vacationing nearby, helps the police sort it all out.

Did you know? This 17th Poirot mystery was first published in 1938 and is Agatha Christie's only full-length Christmas book (it's also been published as Murder for Christmas and A Holiday for Murder).

------ Murder in the Dark
by Kerry Greenwood

Starring: the Honourable Phryne Fisher, a wealthy, free-spirited, and always glamorous flapper who grew up poor and now dabbles in PI work.

What happens: Phryne makes sure to attend after she's anonymously warned off the Last Best Party of 1928, a five-day gathering thrown by self-indulgent brother-and-sister twins at an Australian manor house -- and she's soon investigating a murder.

Movie buzz: Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears, a feature film based on the atmospheric Phryne Fisher series, of which Murder in the Dark is the 16th entry, comes out in 2020.

message 6: by Alias Reader (new)

---- Motherhood So White: A Memoir of Race, Gender, and Parenting in America
by Nefertiti Austin

What it's about: black single mother Nefertiti Austin's experiences parenting her two adopted black children.

What sets it apart: This heartwarming memoir offers "a necessary corrective to the primarily white narrative on adoption" (Booklist).

What's inside: eye-opening research on black adoption; insightful interviews with other black parents; a reading group guide.

---- Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
by Adrienne Brodeur

How it began: At age 14, Adrienne Brodeur became privy to a life-changing secret: her mother was having an affair with a family friend.

What happened next: For decades, Brodeur served as her mother's confidant, often providing alibis for the clandestine lovebirds. Her complicity would have devastating consequences for her own relationships -- including a romance with her mother's lover's son.

Read it for: a dramatic and page-turning tale of deception.

----- Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
by Amaryllis Fox

What it is: a suspenseful account of Amaryllis Fox's decade spent working counterterrorism operations for the CIA while also starting a family with her husband, a fellow agent.

Don't miss: Fox's wedding day, during which she muses on the strange and lonely nature of intelligence life: "I walk down the aisle, past work friends whose real names I'll never know."

Media buzz: Academy Award winner Brie Larson is set to play Fox in a forthcoming Apple streaming series.

----- How We Fight for Our Lives
by Saeed Jones

What it's about: Award-winning poet Saeed Jones candidly reflects on his fraught coming-of-age and his struggle to make a life for himself.

Want a taste? "If America was going to hate me for being black and gay, then I might as well make a weapon out of myself."

Book buzz: A Kirkus Prize winner, How We Fight For Our Lives counts Roxane Gay and Jacqueline Woodson among its many fans.

------ Edison
by Edmund Morris

What it is: an illuminating and inventive portrait of Thomas Edison that renowned biographer Edmund Morris spent seven years researching, perusing millions of Edison's archival papers stored in a bombproof lab.

What sets it apart: Edison unfolds in reverse chronological order, lending a uniquely mythic air to the richly detailed, you-are-there proceedings.

About the author: The late Edmund Morris won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award for 1979's The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

******** Culinary Memoirs

----The Best Cook in the World: Tales from My Momma's Table
by Rick Bragg

What it's about: In this nostalgic tribute to the cuisine of his Alabama childhood, author Rick Bragg (All Over but the Shoutin') shares the stories behind his family's recipes.

Recipes include: pinto beans and ham bone; baked possum.

Want a taste? "She cooks in dabs, and smidgens, and tads, and a measurement she mysteriously refers to as 'you know, hon, just some.'"

------ In Search of the Perfect Loaf: A Home Baker's Odyssey
by Samuel Fromartz

What it is: a lively and engaging account of journalist and amateur baker Samuel Fromartz's globe-trotting adventures in bread-baking.

Don't miss: Fromartz's stint in the famous Parisian bakery Arnaud Delmontel, where he learns to make prize-winning baguettes.

Recipes include: emmer flatbread; turkey red miche; pain de campagne.

----- Life from Scratch: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Forgiveness
by Sasha Martin

What it's about: Food writer and blogger Sasha Martin's four-year quest to cook a meal from every country in the world.

Read it for: a cathartic exploration of how cooking helped Martin navigate a traumatic and impoverished childhood.

Recipes include: German tree cake; Maldivian fire-roasted fish.

----- Notes from a Young Black Chef
by Kwame Onwuachi with Joshua David Stein

What it's about: Top Chef star and two-time Forbes 30 Under 30 honoree Kwame Onwuachi's rise in the world of fine dining.

Who it's for: Fans of Top Chef Masters winner Marcus Samuelsson's James Beard Award-winning Yes, Chef will enjoy this frank and inspiring memoir of a black chef navigating the challenges of working in a predominantly white industry.

Recipes include: cheesecake; chicken and waffles; Nigerian egusi stew.

----- Coming to My Senses: The Making of a Counterculture Cook
by Alice Waters

What it is: a charming memoir from activist, chef, and restaurateur Alice Waters, who opened the famed Berkeley, California locavore hotspot Chez Panisse in 1971.

Featuring: cameo appearances from Julia Child and James Beard.

Is it for you? Though Waters saves the recipes for her other books (including The Art of Simple Food), the evocative descriptions of her culinary coming-of-age are a treat all their own.

message 7: by Alias Reader (last edited Nov 30, 2019 09:41PM) (new)

Fiction

----- Everything Inside: Stories
by Edwidge Danticat

What it is: a collection of eight short stories set among the Haitian diaspora in New York, Miami, and Haiti itself.

What it's about: death, loss, determination, and human relationships. Don't miss the story of survivors in "The Gift," or the complex interpersonal dynamics in "Dosas."

Reviewers say: "an extraordinary career milestone: spare, evocative, and moving" (Kirkus Reviews).

----- Quichotte
by Salman Rushdie

What it is: an homage to Cervantes' classic Don Quixote. Set in the modern day, a middling Indian crime writer invents a delusional traveling salesman who crosses the U.S. in search of the love of a TV talk show host, accompanied by a son who doesn't exist.

Why you might like it: it's a sharply humorous indictment of modern American culture.

Reviewers say: "brilliant" (Publishers Weekly); "dazzling and provocative" (Booklist)

----- Carnegie Hill
by Jonathan Vatner

What happens: Thirty-two-year old Pepper Bradford is at loose ends, until joining the board of her Upper East Side co-op involves her in her neighbors' lives and gives her purpose.

Why you might like it: This witty comedy of manners offers a large cast of engaging characters, many of whom are struggling with marital dissatisfaction -- whether newly married or together 50 years.

Want a taste? "Unsure of the proper attire for a co-op board meeting, Pepper decided to err on the side of stuffiness."

----- A Door in the Earth
by Amy Waldman

Featuring: Afghan American college student Parveen Shamsa, inspired by a doctor's memoir of his time in Afghanistan. Traveling to a remote village there, she finds that nothing is as he described it.

What happens: Told through multiple perspectives, this thought-provoking novel explores American goals in the region and the often-misguided actions undertaken there.

For fans of: meditative reflections on war.

********* All Kinds of People

---- The Boat People
by Sharon Bala

Featuring: Sri Lankan immigrant Mahindan, detained and separated from his young son and despairing of a new start in Canada.

Why you might like it: Though Mahindan is a sympathetic character at the outset, his prior actions in Sri Lanka complicate things; law student Priya and judge-advocate Grace are similarly complex characters.

Try this next: Sri Lankan stories, like Anuk Arudpragasam's The Story of a Brief Marriage, or refugee crisis novel Exit West by Mohsin Hamid.

------ Rich People Problems
by Kevin Kwan

What happens: In this 3rd in a trilogy about uber-wealthy Asian families (after Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend), matriarch Shang Su Yi is dying, prompting lots of political maneuverings to win her estate.

Why you might like it: Family drama is especially enjoyable when it involves dis-inheritances, public scandals, palaces, and extremely expensive fashion, travel, and real estate.

Our advice: Start at the beginning of the series to prolong this delectable read.

------- Other People's Houses
by Abbi Waxman

What do you do...when you witness a neighbor in a compromising position with a man who's not her husband? That's the question generally un-flusterable mom Frances Bloom must ask herself, raising doubts about her own marital relationship as well as those around her.

Read it for: the flawed, believable characters and enjoyable (if salty) humor.

For fans of: modern middle-class family dramedies, like Laurie Gelman's Class Mom or Maria Semple's Today Will Be Different.

----- The Best Kind of People
by Zoe Whittall

What happens: A celebrated and much-loved teacher has been accused of attempted rape by several students; over the following months, his family is destroyed by external threats -- and internal doubts.

What reviewers say: "a humane, clear-eyed attempt to explore the ripple effects of sexual crime" (Kirkus Reviews).

Book buzz: Written by Lambda Literary Award-winner Zoe Whittall, The Best Kind of People was shortlisted for Canada's Giller Prize and is reportedly being adapted for film.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments I kind of agree with John Lennon. 😊🌹🌺

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments Sex on the Moon The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich

An enterprising (but misguided) NASA intern named Thad Roberts decides to steal moon rocks to impress a girl and score big cash. Interesting true story about the heist. 3 stars

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by John (new)

John | 1224 comments I read most of Stephanie Barron's series with Jane Austen as the sleuth - not bad!

message 11: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments Popular Aussie journalist, radio host and author Richard Glover had an unusual childhood, which he shares in his funny, disturbing memoir Flesh Wounds. How he became such a cheerful, compassionate man is beyond me.
Flesh Wounds by Richard Glover 4★ Link to my review

message 12: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments Murder in the monastery is why Louise Penny sends her incomparable Chief Inspector Armand Gamache into the backwoods of Quebec. He investigates The Beautiful Mystery, which is the Gregorian chant for which these monks are famous. Number 8 in a favourite series.
The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8) by Louise Penny 3.5★ Link to my review

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments The Other People The Other People by C.J. Tudor by C.J. Tudor

When a home invasion results in the death of Gabe Forman's wife and little daughter, Gabe insists his child his still alive....because he just saw her being abducted. Lots of twists in this psychological thriller. 3 stars

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2413 comments Barbara wrote: "Sex on the Moon The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by [..."

Added to my list-sounds interesting!

message 15: by madrano (last edited Dec 02, 2019 11:48AM) (new)

madrano | 11835 comments That's a good crop of books, Alias. I've added Carnegie Hill by Jonathan Vatner to my list because it sounds like the sort of variety in characters i'd like in a building story. There were others of interest but having previously read works by the authors (Colin Cotterill, for instance), i will pass for now. I liked the Dr. Siri Paiboun character created by CC but i need attention to detail when i read them.

I must also add that it's sad to see so many cooking books by people i've never seen/heard. What i would give to read a journal by some of my old "teachers" of bread baking. Alas, that lived in the wrong era, when being popular in your field didn't mean a book about your personal experiences ensued. *sigh*

Barbara, i pretty much agree with your assessment of the Mezrich book. At times i felt as though he became too entrenched in Roberts himself for my liking. The adventure sounds good on paper but as presented, i was disappointed. The lighthearted approach truly went too far when the Dr. Gibson's research notes of 30 years were lost. Unforgivable.

message 16: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Patty, your aside in the review of Glover's book sounded on-target. He’s right, I think, that a lot of what we think of as the free-wheeling nature of childhood in the 1960s and 70s was a result of general apathy on the part of parents. [I will add that laws were different then. You were allowed to leave your kids in the car while you popped into the shop (or the pub or the TAB to place a bet). But I digress.] The marvel is that so many managed to create healthy (ish?) lives from that approach.

The Penny/Gamache book sounds good. I tired of the town people but i'm a sucker for religious mysteries. I'm adding this as a stand-alone to my list. Gregorian Chants have called to me since i was in grade school.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments Mystery (Alex Delaware, #26) by Jonathan Kellerman Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman

Psychologist Alex Delaware helps Detective Sturgis investigate the death of a rich older man's 'sugar baby.'

More or less a police procedural. 3 stars

message 18: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments It's disappointing when a long-appreciated series lets readers down. We stay because the characters are drawing us to them but the stories can fail us nonetheless.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini

In the 1950s a poor Afghan family sells their daughter to a rich couple to ensure a better life for everyone. This act reverberates down through the decades in this compelling book.

Excellent book. 5 stars

message 21: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 19099 comments Barbara wrote: "And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini

In the 1950s a poor Afghan family sells their daughter to a rich couple to en..."

I thought his The Kite Runner was terrific. I don't know why I haven't read more by this author. I should.

message 22: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Dem, when we were in Ireland in '17, we visited the Blasket Island Visitors Center (http://blasket.ie/ ), where we learned much about the later inhabitants, the language & some of the stories. It was one of my favorite stops because it was all new to me.

When looking for the link, i see that tours now offer overnight stays, as well. We were there on a blustery day, so boat trips to the island were not offered. Big change in two years. ANYway, it was a good stop for us & as informative as could be. I really liked the way they highlighted many of the former residents, including the author of the book you reviewed. The name Peig Sayersstayed with me & i still hope to read her Peig: The Autobiography of Peig Sayers of the Great Blasket Island.

Thanks for the review & comments.

Barbara, i read Hosseini's first two books. I really liked the first but was less enchanted with A Thousand Splendid Suns. The approach you mentioned, making each chapter almost its own short story appeals to me. I appreciate your insight.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments Thank you Madrano. 🙂

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments Crossroads Crossroads (Dave Matthews #1) by James L. Thane by James L. Thane

Amidst a fierce battle of words between environmentalist and logging proponents in northwestern Montana, a man is bludgeoned to death. A suspect is quickly arrested and attorney Dave Matthews, fresh off a personal crisis, agrees to defend him.

Good traditional mystery. 3.5 stars

message 25: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Interesting terrain for a mystery series, Barbara. The fact you rather liked it is encouraging. Glad you shared.

message 26: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments Winter Sleep: A Hibernation Story by Sean Taylor and Alex Morss is a delightful and informative kids' picture book. The illustrations by Cinyee Chiu make it special. Good gift book for grandparents!
Winter Sleep A Hibernation Story by Sean Taylor 5★ Link to my review with lots of pictures

message 27: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments Popular Aussie author Nicole Trope's suspenseful The Boy in the Photo will be sure to gain her some more fans.
The Boy in the Photo by Nicole Trope
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments How i wish i had such a book when i was growing up. The world of hibernation was limited for me because i never saw such a thing. What a good idea and presentation, Patty.

message 30: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Dem, your review has me pining for a copy. I'm going to try to find one. You expressed some reasons i like reading older literature--it's fun to see what has changed, such as the sex scenes.

message 31: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 06, 2019 05:46PM) (new)

----- Liars' Legacy
by Taylor Stevens

A brother and sister pair of trained assassins and spies suspect a Russian trap when they travel to Berlin to meet their father for the first time, in the second novel in the series following Liars' Paradox

----- The secret guests : a novel
by Benjamin Black

The secret World War II relocation of the princesses Elizabeth and Margaret to an old estate in Ireland becomes subject to the devastations of the Blitz, the resentments of grieving townspeople and suspicions about the girls' true identities.

---- All the Ways We Said Goodbye : A Novel of the Ritz Paris
by Beatriz Williams

An heiress, a Resistance fighter and a widow find their lives intertwined by their wartime experiences and the turbulent 1960s when they seek refuge at Paris's legendary Ritz hotel.

----- In the shadow of Vesuvius
by Tasha Alexander

Discovering a body hidden in plain sight among the ruins of Pompeii, Lady Emily launches an investigation that is complicated by archaeologist secrets and a beautiful young woman who claims a shocking relationship to Colin's family.

----- There's a Murder Afoot
by Vicki Delany

Traveling to London with her friends to attend a Sherlock Holmes convention, Gemma Doyle is astonished by a surprise encounter with an in-law who disappeared decades earlier after stealing a valuable painting. By the author of Elementary, She Read

---- Naked Came the Florida Man
by Tim Dorsey

Enjoying a cemetery road trip with his brother, Serge A. Storms investigates an urban myth about a boogeyman that haunts an old sugar field before uncovering possible links between the story and the Naked Florida killer.

----- The vanishing
by Jayne Ann Krentz

Decades after a mysterious explosion causes the members of their community to develop strange otherworldly symptoms, local investigator Cat teams up with an enigmatic scientist to stop a killer who may be behind a partner's disappearance.

----- A small town : a novel
by Thomas Perry

Two years after a prison break unleashes hundreds of violent convicts on a local community, a police officer goes undercover to track down and eliminate 12 dangerous conspirators. By the Edgar Award-winning author of The Butcher's Boy

----- Many Rivers to Cross : A Dci Banks Novel
by Peter Robinson

A second entry in the three-part story arc that began with Careless Love finds detective Alan Banks investigating a racially sensitive case that is complicated by a friend's precarious circumstances.

----- Crooked River
by Douglas Preston

Racing to uncover the mystery of several light green-shoe-clad severed feet found floating in the Atlantic, Agents Pendergast is faced with most inexplicable challenge of his career in this installment of the #1 NYT bestselling series.

----- Perfect Little Children
by Sophie Hannah

The New York Times bestselling author of The Monogram Murders and Woman with a Secret returns with a sharp, captivating, and expertly plotted tale of psychological suspense.

------ The museum of desire
by Jonathan Kellerman

Psychologist Alex Delaware and detective Milo Sturgis struggle to make sense of a seemingly inexplicable massacre in this electrifying psychological thriller from the #1 New York Times bestselling master of suspense.

----- Golden in death
by J. D. Robb

"In the latest thriller in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, homicide detective Eve Dallas investigates a murder with a mysterious motive-and a terrifying weapon.

------ Out of the Attic
by V. C. Andrews

The twisted, beloved Dollanganger legend began two generations before Corrine Foxworth locked away her children in Flowers in the Attic. The second book in a new prequel story arc, Out of the Attic explores the Dollanganger family saga by traveling back decades to when the clan’s wicked destiny first took root.

----- Salt River
by Randy Wayne White

Marine biologist and former government agent Doc Ford is sure he's beyond the point of being surprised by his longtime pal Tomlinson's madcap tales of his misspent youth. But he's stunned anew when avowed bachelor Tomlinson reveals that as a younger man strapped for cash, he'd unwittingly fathered multiple children via for-profit sperm bank donations.

----- Postscript
by Cecelia Ahern

When Holly Kennedy is approached by a group calling themselves the PS, I Love You Club, her safe existence is turned on its head. Inspired by her late husband Gerry’s letters, the club wants Holly to help them with their own parting messages for their loved ones to discover after they’re gone.

message 32: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments V.C. Andrews has made an exciting series for fans of her original, Flowers in the Attic. My daughter liked that book, read when she was a high school Frosh. She's read many of the sequels but i don't know about the prequel, of which the above-mentioned Out of the Attic is the latest. I'm passing the title on to her.

Good list of novels--inspiring for gift giving, too.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments I keep saying I'm done with Jonathan Kellerman's 'Alex Delaware' series and I keep giving him one more chance. Ha ha ha (Hope springs eternal and all that......😊)

I requested The Museum of Desire from Netgalley, so we'll see how that goes.

message 34: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Good luck, Barbara. Both in getting and in liking the book.

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments madrano wrote: "Good luck, Barbara. Both in getting and in liking the book."

Thank you. 😊🍀🍁

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments The 6th Extinction The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10) by James Rollins by James Rollins

In this 10th 'Sigma Force' novel, scientists are working on solutions to human destruction of the Earth when a doomsday virus gets loose. If not stopped, it will destroy all life on the planet.

Sigma Force is mobilized to deal with the situation. Exciting thriller that works fine as a standalone. 3.5 stars

message 37: by Petra (new)

Petra | 1056 comments I finished Dachshund Through the Snow and quite enjoyed it. It's got great lines (humorous) and really nice characters. This is the 20th in a series (who knew?!). It reads well as a stand-alone. This was a cozy, light Christmas read. I had it narrowed down to two suspects.....one of whom did it, although I was leaning towards the other.
I've requested another of this series that is set around Christmas, Deck the Hounds. Yes, there are many dogs in this book. The protagonist has 2 and often takes them for a walk.

Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20) by David Rosenfelt

Now I'm going to start The 19th Christmas. There's a long queue at the library for this one so I'd better read quickly.

message 38: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 19099 comments Barbara wrote: "I keep saying I'm done with Jonathan Kellerman's 'Alex Delaware' series and I keep giving him one more chance. Ha ha ha (Hope springs eternal and all that......😊)
."

I used to read his Delaware series. However, like most series for me, it got too repetitive. I haven't read one in such a long time. I probably should pick one up next time I am at the library.

message 39: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments The Unseen World The Unseen World by Liz Moore by Liz Moore

Twelve-year-old Ada Sibelius is very close to her single father, a leading computer scientist who's developing an AI machine. When dad falls ill, Ada's life changes dramatically.

The book is part coming-of-age novel and part dissertation on secrets, encryptions, and codes. 3.5 stars

message 40: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Two interesting books reviewed for viewing today, Barbara. I wasn't aware Rollins' series was about government scientific work. This sounds interesting, i'm adding the first in the series to my TBR.

The Moore novel sounds very good until she the adult story. Then i looked at the length and was glad Moore didn't turn it into a series, at least. I'm going to put it on my list but would be surprised if i take the time.

THAT sounded awful, didn't it? I am at an awful part of my life wherein long books which are published recently (another awful, "recently" means since 1980!) just don't call to me because i've been disappointed so many times.

message 41: by Julie (last edited Dec 09, 2019 08:29AM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 2413 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I keep saying I'm done with Jonathan Kellerman's 'Alex Delaware' series and I keep giving him one more chance. Ha ha ha (Hope springs eternal and all that......😊)
."

I used to read..."

I also used to read that series religiously but stopped too. I did enjoy the books but had so much on my reading list that I couldn't keep up. I do read a few series still. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, Alan Bradley's Flavia books and Elizabeth George's Det. Lynley series still keep me entertained.

message 42: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Petra, i didn't realize the Christmas story you mentioned is part of a series. The fact that it's 20th is a surprise. David Rosenfelt has quite a roll going. Good luck with the James Patterson series' Christmas novel, too.

message 43: by Barbara (last edited Dec 09, 2019 12:11PM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2935 comments madrano wrote: "Two interesting books reviewed for viewing today, Barbara. I wasn't aware Rollins' series was about government scientific work. This sounds interesting, i'm adding the first in the series to my TBR..."

The Sigma Force books are action packed Madrano. Lots of excitement. 😊

I know what you mean about long books. It's too big of a commitment sometimes. If a big book gets a lot of high ratings, I'm more likely to give it a shot.

message 44: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments Same here, Barbara. I'm not fully closed to the idea and if i'm on holiday, it's easier to indulge on larger fiction, as long as it's fast-paced.

message 45: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments Kids books are short and fun when you don't want a big commitment.

What do you do if you're scared to use the bathroom at school because of the teasing? The picture book Jacob's New Dress introduced a little boy who likes to wear dresses, inspired by Sam, the son of the authors, Sarah Hoffman and Ian Hoffman.

Jacob's Room to Choose is a good followup about Jacob and Sophie, a little classmate who prefers shirts and jeans. A teacher helps the other kids wake up to themselves!
Jacob's Room to Choose by Sarah Hoffman 4.5★ Link to my review with pictures

message 46: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments But then some longer ones are good, too.
Police at the Station and They Don't Look Friendly is #6 in the series by Adrian McKinty, but I was assured that it works fine as a standalone, and it certainly does! Now to find some more. :)
Police at the Station and They Don't Look Friendly (Detective Sean Duffy #6) by Adrian McKinty 4.5★ (rounded up) Link to my review

message 47: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments I'm so old girls were only allowed to wear dresses/skirt. This would have made things odd for Jacob, too. The book describes the way we aimed to raise our children and i think they worked well with all sorts of children, as a result. In many ways, it hurts to think of regimented upbringing.

message 48: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1021 comments madrano wrote: "I'm so old girls were only allowed to wear dresses/skirt. This would have made things odd for Jacob, too. The book describes the way we aimed to raise our children and i think they worked well with..."

Yes, skirts were the rule for my schools, too, but we were allowed to wear long pants under the skirts for walking to school in the snow. Of course, it wasn't 'cool' to do that so we stayed both cool and cold!

message 49: by Petra (new)

Petra | 1056 comments Patty, this was the rule in my elementary school, too! Girls could not wear pants in school but we could slip pants on under our skirts/dresses before we climbed into our snowsuits in order to keep warm on the walk to and from school. At the time, I didn't give this a second thought. It was just the way things were.
I did, though, love my pink pants with stirrups, even though I disliked pink. It was the only colour that girl's pants were available in and stirrups were the only style.
Thankfully, those times didn't last and pants became an acceptable female attire.

message 50: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11835 comments I miss stirrups...

« previous 1 3