Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

This topic is about 1984
FUTURISTIC TECH > Can Little Brother (and Little Sister) overthrow Big Brother?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments What about the concept of Little Brother?

Will technology eventually reach the point where the Orwellian 1984-style Big Brother police state won't be able to keep up with all the "little brothers" (aka the mass populace)?

To quote an NY Times article these little brothers are now "equipped with devices that Orwell, writing 60 years ago, never dreamed of and who are loyal to no organized authority."

"There are also times, of course," the NY Times article continues, "when Little Brother does a positive service to society by turning the tables on the state and watching the watchers. The other day a video emerged that seemed to show an Israeli soldier dancing in a mocking manner around a cowering Palestinian woman whom he appeared to have under his control. The viewer couldn’t help but be reminded of more shocking pictures from Abu Ghraib — scenes of torture that might never have come to light if Little Brother hadn’t been standing nearby."

So is Big Brother on his way to the retirement home?

message 2: by James, Group Founder (last edited Nov 19, 2014 06:21AM) (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments The future will be an Orwellian inversion, I believe...
Connected Little Brothers will be a higher intelligence than Big Brother.

As of late 2014 going into 2015, technology has evolved to the point where Big Brother is seriously exposed.

It's over Big Brother.
RIP Big Brother.

Harry Whitewolf | 1736 comments Let's not forget the Little Sisters too. :)

message 4: by James, Group Founder (last edited Nov 19, 2014 06:35AM) (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments In this whole analogy, who or what would be Big Sister and Little Sister?
Could aliens be Big Sister? And animals Little Sister?

And have we all underestimated the sisters?? Ha!

message 5: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Sci-fi author Cory Doctorow explains the idea behind his novel Little Brother, which he describes as "related" to George Orwell's 1984 in that both explore similar themes of technology and control. Although Doctorow argues that Orwell may have underestimated the ability of technology to empower individuals, he warns that future technologies may allow governments more control over their citizens -- and parents more control over their children -- than ever before: https://www.goodreads.com/videos/7505...

Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) by Cory Doctorow

Harry Whitewolf | 1736 comments I think we need to give the world over to the women for a while, 'cos we're still a long way away from equality yet. Let's make women rulers of the world! (In actuality, I believe in a utopian world of equality for all, of course.)

Seriously though, one of the biggest cover ups ever is the banishing of goddesses from creation myths and so on. So, surely Big Brother's gotta be a He!

Honestly, to come out more in my true beliefs, I do believe that aliens/demons/jinn/devils are very much here... it makes no difference to me what interpretation of the same myth of truth word I use... they could simply be an ancient superhuman race for all I know... but, yep, I'm one of those that believes they've been here for thousands of years, and they've been running the show from the offset. A controversial idea to many, and yet a perfectly sound theory to many others. I mean, for one thing it should be utterly ridiculous to think there wasn't an intelligent civilisation on Earth pre-flood times, to anyone that has researched the subject. (Read Graham Hancock, Robert Bauval, Maurice Cotterell, John Mitchell and the like.)

And with things like an ancient giant effing runway in Peru, (the Nazca Lines)there's an abundance of evidence. The runway and animal shapes that surround it were carved into the desert ground, and yet they can only be seen from miles above- and are impossible to see from the ground or any neighbouring hills or mountains. Therefore they were created to be seen from the sky. Not proof of anything of course- there are several theories- but it's just one thing in a mountain of evidence that leans towards there being intelligent life here before us... and they're still here.

message 7: by Donna (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

Donna Haworth | 42 comments James wrote: "In this whole analogy, who or what would be Big Sister and Little Sister?
Could aliens be Big Sister? And animals Little Sister?

And have we all underestimated the sisters?? Ha!"

Hey! Come on, you all know there are big sisers and little sisters working right alongside the big brothers and little brothers. But I agree with Luke. It is time for this ridiculous notion of male supremacy to end. In order to survive the evil and transcend this dark time in human history, to evolve into the beautiful beings we are capable of becoming, we need to work / think as the team we were meant to be. The more I look around the stronger I realize little brother / sister has become and the more hope it gives me.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna Haworth | 42 comments Harry wrote: "I think we need to give the world over to the women for a while, 'cos we're still a long way away from equality yet. Let's make women rulers of the world! (In actuality, I believe in a utopian worl..."

When I look around the area where I live I see Chinatown, Little Italy, Little India, each Native Tribe staking their claim to money and property, all wanting their culture acknowledged, while some people cringe in fear and point fingers saying they are taking over. Yet the ladies in this country created a quilt called the 'Quilt of Belonging' with a square created by and in recognition of each one of the different nations in Canada. I kind of see the world that way. There are various interests be they aliens, politicians, races, sexes, religions ect... each trying to stir up the pot and use the situation to their advantage. Unfortunately this usually means the disadvantage of others. I personally feel that we all need to stop being party to this and it will force all of the death dealing control freaks and fear mongers to show their many colored faces. Then they can be identified and decommissioned.

message 9: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Donna wrote: "Hey! Come on, you all know there are big sisers and little sisters working right alongside the big brothers and little brothers...."

I still think though Donna, that Orwell's idea of Big Brother is not really gender focused. Big Brother is more the machine, I think - that's the way the idea read to me in 1984.
So Little Brother - the inverse or antithesis of Big Brother - would be the common people (women and men).

And so taking it a click further, just for a laugh, what is Little Sister??
I'll go with aliens (which are real or fictitious depending on your take).

I also found this online re another idea Big Uncle, which supposedly means a nicer version of Big Brother i.e. being watched for good purposes:

Big Uncle is a name for the concept of “benevolent security”. Privacy is a dated concept, disappearing fast. People get all tied in a knot over this, but the consequences are only as bad as we let them be. Like any technology, there will be evil applications and there will be good ones. There are upsides: Big Uncle not Big Brother. Who controls which one we get? The people who work in IT: we make either one happen, we are the troops.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Haworth | 42 comments James wrote: "we are the troops i>

And that is the crux of it! Life is movement, exertion, change and if we remain still / silent the only thing that stops is our ability to affect the changes that keep happening with or without us. So if we want to affect the outcome of change we must participate in the process.

message 11: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments I agree Donna. Good points.

Harry Whitewolf | 1736 comments THE FAMILY MAN

Ban The Man
and his Big Brother.
Nanny states
are there to smother.
Scorn forefathers
of motherlands;
the family
with covert plans.
Ban the bastard goddamn Man.

(A self indulgent Harry Whitewolf original.)

message 13: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Harry wrote: "THE FAMILY MAN

Ban The Man
and his Big Brother.
Nanny states
are there to smother.
Scorn forefathers
of motherlands;
the family
with covert plans.

(A self indulgent ..."

Did this poem make the final cut of your book?

Harry Whitewolf | 1736 comments James Morcan wrote: "Harry wrote: "THE FAMILY MAN

Ban The Man
and his Big Brother.
Nanny states
are there to smother.
Scorn forefathers
of motherlands;
the family
with covert plans.

(A s..."

Ha! Yeah, it did. :)

message 15: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Okay, cool.

The rise of Little Brother is now underway.

message 16: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Title: Little Brother usurps Big Brother

Plot: After years of easily overpowering his Little Bro, Big Brother gets lazy and takes his dominance for granted and gradually gets fat. Meanwhile, Little Brother trains hard and then one day, lo and behold, he overpowers Big Brother.

message 17: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Here's an answer I gave on this topic in a recent media interview I did in which the interviewer asked ""What good things do you see right now?":

I think in every generation things are always getting better and worse at the same time. It’s a paradox, but it really depends what you deem to be worthy enough to focus on. I don’t think I’m one to bury my head in the sand or overlook the immense problems our society is facing, but all in all I see tremendous opportunities for the masses right now. For example, I tend to subscribe to the optimistic theory of “Little Brother”. This concept essentially says that in his dystopian masterpiece 1984, George Orwell didn’t take technology to its logical conclusion. Meaning, we have been through, or remain in, the Big Brother phase Orwell predicted where fascist-like governments constantly monitor citizens and invade privacy. However, there’s a final phase Orwell possibly didn’t consider which is where everyday citizens, or little brothers, are all equipped with advanced devices that allow us to keep governments honest. I think we can turn the tables on the global elite with our own privately owned cameras, drones and other high-tech devices, and expose the wrongdoings of those in power. So next time you see your local politician, prime minister or president, perhaps you should tell him or her “Little Brother is watching you!”

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Sayers Now our very homes are invaded. The very devices we use track our every activity, reading our emotions, our allegiances our intentions. Big Brother really is watching. Which is good, really really good, for we have some games to play. We must have invited these invasive technologies into our lives for this purpose, is that the mind of God?

What will be the outcome of the game, what will the future world look like? Players are best motivated when they understand the stakes and share in the rewards.

message 19: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Paul wrote: "What will be the outcome of the game, what will the future world look like? Players are best motivated when they understand the stakes and share in the rewards. ..."

Maybe we can eventually turn the tables on Big Brother? Spy on governments and the military...expose their wrong doings...

One moment please...be back soon...I just have to receive delivery of that civilian drone I ordered...it's here now ;)

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments civilian drones are in the beginning phases. ...hiding behind companies such as Amazon ;)

message 21: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Lisa wrote: "civilian drones are in the beginning phases. ...hiding behind companies such as Amazon ;)"

I just released mine Lisa. It'll be flying over your neighborhood soon (on it's way to catch the crooks in D.C. and Westminster) so look out for it and give it a wave as it goes by.\

Oh shit, I just remembered...I hope it has enough battery power!

message 22: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Sayers James Morcan wrote: "I just have to receive delivery of that civilian drone.."

Drones need to be registered, now. But still, yes, as long as there are people who remain awake then there will be people willing to watch the great game.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments I saw the Google van drive by my house last summer. ..wonder if they are on our side. ...

message 24: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Paul wrote: "Drones need to be registered, now. But still, yes, as long as there are people who remain awake then there will be people willing to watch the great game. ..."

Fully registered and flying, mate...We now need to get an army of civilian drones in the sky!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments re: battery power. ...decode the drone for a landing at my house and I will recharge it!

message 26: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Lisa wrote: "I saw the Google van drive by my house last summer. ..wonder if they are on our side. ..."

Not sure...All the Google founders go to Bilderberg conferences, I seem to recall. Whether that means they are trustworthy or not is pure speculation, but it at least raises a few doubts in my mind...

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments well...let's put our spiritual powers together and convert! !!

message 28: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Lisa wrote: "re: battery power. ...decode the drone for a landing at my house and I will recharge it!"

No need...My AI drone (nicknamed HAL Jr.) has figured out WIFI recharging...so just need to fly low enough over your house, or anybody who will help out, and use your WIFI password to recharge while hovering in the air.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments hmmmm...that sounds a little suspicious. ...you sure you don't attend Bilderberg conferences?

message 30: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Lisa wrote: "hmmmm...that sounds a little suspicious. ...you sure you don't attend Bilderberg conferences?"

I don't but when/if the Bilderberg cartel ever make the mistake of inviting me to such a conference, I'm going to record a video of me printing their invitation and using it as toilet paper...
But don't worry, it'll be shot creatively for a G-rating, not R!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments I'm having a hard time figuring out how you could in any possible way make that G rated. ..

message 32: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Shoot from the chest up!
But describe what is happening!
Maybe it'd be G for gross in hindsight...But this is the maximum amount of respect I could give to the Bilderberg brigade

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments how about D for Disturbing? lol....I think you send them an ass scented response letter ;)

message 34: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Well put it this way...
It's one video you wouldn't wanna see a behind the scenes or making of video of!!!!!

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Norris | 485 comments I couldn't agree more. ..I think the description of the content alone will make it hard to fall asleep. ....using the toilet will never be the same again!

message 36: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Sayers James Morcan wrote: "Fully registered and fl..."

Fine if you can afford a drone.
Fine if you can build one.
Fine if you've an idea of what to do with it in ways that don't expose you to unnecessary risk.

Risk! Ha! That's not what they're worried about on the fictional world.

I'm interested in experimenting with drones for location surveillance, making them, or selecting favoured brands to promote. These machines become a part of the standard kit for our performers, part of the storyline.

You can imagine, a branded all terrain mobile home equipped with drones, a family, a story that doesn't necessarily involve zombies ...

Real life situations, real life civil defence technology and know how, featured links on the web page (or page of partners) to preferred suppliers, potential commission.

And nasties, of course, bandits, right wing mercenaries, left wing zealots hitting on each other - the stuff of great drama.

I know there's a lot out there these days, this "alternative reality" - the underground thing.

It's a grand canvas! And so very likely, so why not?

Interested in expanding perhaps to pulse-jet driven machines (probably just for fun), to be used in an after Armageddon style occasional web series. Real world technology, displayed, for purchase, even the homebuilt varieties can be fabricated cheaply in small workshops. Working in north east Asia, this is all possible, for anyone who is inclined. Couldn't export the pulse-jet ones though, sadly. They'd probably be the low cost advantage that we could supply to the film industry world wide. Perhaps there's some special licence. I'm confident though (reasonably so) that we'll be exporting "safes" for theatrical use. Potentially sourced from North Korea if I'm reading the early signs of rapprochement correctly.

But back onto the mad fantasy track:

When Big Brother closes you down in New Zealand, look abroad (that's partly why I went - I remember how difficult it was to establish a presence the way the Morcan's have).

message 37: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Talamante (EITalamante) | 55 comments Harry wrote: "I think we need to give the world over to the women for a while, 'cos we're still a long way away from equality yet. Let's make women rulers of the world! (In actuality, I believe in a utopian worl..."

No offense, but this is a likable pipe dream at best..

Until men can become pregnant and give birth, there will never be true equality.

Just sayin'.

message 38: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Little Sisters are equal to Little Brothers here in the underground, Erma!

message 39: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) No. No way. The idea that clumsy grassroots opposition can combat top-down hierarchy is an illusion. It is a daydream that we can 'get around' the leviathan in this way. Everything citizens do is paltry in comparison to what the govt does with technology behind-the-scenes. They run wargames on us, they run psy-ops on us, without our even being aware of it. They're ready for anything we might attempt.

Frankly, totalitarianism (or totalitarianism under another name) is easier than ever with the advent of the net. You have an atomic, isolated, granular 'me' society where no one is anyone's neighbor anymore. No one knows each other; no one unites, no one supports each other.

And I mean ZEEEEERO citizenly responsibility. It has vanished. NO ONE thinks about opposing the establishment anymore.

It is the #1 thing we should all be thinking about; our government is a killing machine...yet we simply purse our lips, lower our heads, and shuffle down the chute....

message 41: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Disagree Feliks.
If you study history, every successful revolution began at a grassroots level.

message 42: by Asterion (new)

Asterion (Yimsel) The dog I saw was REDDDDDD

message 43: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments PHASE ONE (Big Brother attacks): "The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities." - Zbigniew Brzezinski.

PHASE TWO: (Little Brother strikes back!): "I guess all I’m really saying is that we need to update an old maxim. The pen may still be mightier than the sword, but who realistically uses either implement these days? Maybe “the video camera cell phone is mightier than the machine gun” is what it should now read, I don’t know. As with the older version of the saying, one guy with a cell phone camera is really no literal match for a carbine bullet. And these things don’t always have happy endings (remember the woman martyred on camera during the Iranian uprising two years ago?), either for the individual concerned or for the wider movement. But the power of thousands upon thousands of tiny cameras watching the watchers is still not to be taken lightly. Because it can work to bring down governments at times. Or convince a country’s military (or military leaders) that they really look bad on the world stage, causing shame enough for them to change tactics."

Big Brother v. Little Brother https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-...

message 44: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Wilson | 154 comments Just a quick mention that a statue of George Orwell is now on display in London, unveiled outside the BBC Broadcasting House. Previous attempts to erect a statue were denied because he was considered "too left wing". Finally, Orwell now gets his recognition. Yippee!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 45: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 1985 comments Little Brother Is Watching You | The New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elemen...

message 46: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Don't forget the potential of Little Brother, however...

message 47: by Iain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 1578 comments The Story of Mass Surveillance: An Armchair Introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9xO...

message 48: by Iain (last edited Feb 01, 2019 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 1578 comments James wrote: "What about the concept of Little Brother?

Will technology eventually reach the point where the Orwellian 1984-style Big Brother police state won't be able to keep up with all the "litt..."

I don't think it is so much the technology holding them back from keeping on top of mass surveillance, as it is the cost . . . .

They're all at it.

The other thing as well: why worry about 'the five-eyes' or their counterparts eavesdropping at the conduit or middle-men( Social Media Platforms, etc)when they can tap the main arterial routes that data traverse, to gleam what you want?

Global Spying:
Realistic Probabilities In Modern Signals Intelligence

https://www.blackhat.com/presentation...

message 49: by James, Group Founder (last edited Feb 05, 2019 06:57AM) (new)

James Morcan | 7753 comments Big Brother vs. Little Brother: Mapping Where Our Personal Information Goes https://www.securitymagazine.com/arti...
"Less than a year before his death in 1950, Eric Blair, under the pen name George Orwell, published “Nineteen Eighty-Four,” a dystopian novel about government tyranny by intrusion, surveillance and manipulation of thought. For Baby Boomers and my fellow Generation Xers, Orwell’s book was often required reading in high school as a warning against the loss of privacy and control in our personal lives."

"More than 30 years after the title’s year, we’re coming to the realization that it’s not Big Brother that we need to be concerned about as much as the thousands of Little Brothers. The Little Brother effect is largely carried out by non-governmental entities and citizens that are able to collect, process, store, analyze, steal, corrupt, fake and sell information related to almost every aspect of our lives."

message 50: by Iain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 1578 comments The Age of Surveillance Capitalism - Triangulation 380

Shoshana Zuboff is the author of 'The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power.' She talks with Leo Laporte about how social media is being used to influence people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIrFA...

« previous 1

Underground Knowledge — A discussion group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)
Little Brother (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cory Doctorow (other topics)