The Sword and Laser discussion

2019 S&L Worldbuilders Team

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited 4 hours, 56 min ago) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5896 comments Mod
Every year Patrick Rothfuss's Worldbuilders Charity does a big end of year fundraiser where you have a chance to win a bunch of books, games, and other stuff.

Last year we talked about creating a Worldbuilders group for Sword & Laser. Thanks to John (Nevets) for the reminder about it. I asked Tom & Veronica about it and they were on board with the idea.

The fundraiser will take place from December 3rd to the 17th.

Here is a Blog Post Patrick Rothfuss made about this year's fundraiser.

Here's a link to our team Sword & Laser World Builders

I wasn't sure how much of a goal to set for us, so after discussing with Tom & Veronica we went with $1000.

Any amount is helpful, and it's for a great cause.

If you're not familiar with how the lottery bit works, it's pretty simple; for every $10 you donate to our worldbuilders (that includes donations through the S&L page) you get entered into the lottery. You can see all the cool stuff you can win on the Worldbuilders Lottery page.

There are also auctions on Ebay. Those won't associate you with the S&L team, but it's another way to donate and one that guarantees you a prize (assuming you win of course). Right now there doesn't appear to be too many auctions up, but I think they add some as it goes on.

And as a (small) additional incentive Tom has agreed to read the names of all of the people who donate through the S&L team page on an upcoming Podcast.

Note: If anyone who donates would rather not be mentioned, or prefer a different name from the one it shows on the world builders site (ex if Tassie Dave would prefer to be mentioned as Tassie Dave rather than his first and last name) please let me know and I'll simply count you among the anonymous donors instead.

I'll be giving them your full names, so if you'd just prefer a first name let me know that too.

Those of you donate anonymously will forgo that honor but you very much appreciated too!

message 2: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 343 comments Sounds good, I think I currently have just over a thousand dollars earmarked for Worldbuilders. Probably going to use some of it for the auctions, but I'll put whatever's left into the S&L team!

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Awesome Sky! I was starting to worry our team would just have my own donation. lol.

I got some more details on Team thing from the Worldbuilder people but I won't have a team link to share until December 3rd when the the fundraiser goes live.

message 4: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 196 comments Rob wrote: "Awesome Sky! I was starting to worry our team would just have my own donation. lol..."

You won't be alone :) I'm also game to join/support the team with my donation.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1156 comments Well, since I "poked the bear" on this one, I guess I'm committed as well. ;-)

I've been donating since the first year, but it will be fun to do it as part of this group this time.

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1578 comments Mod
Thanks for setting this up, Rob!

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 1389 comments Count me in as well.

message 8: by Peta (new)

Peta (thebookling) | 3 comments Fab idea! I’ll donate via here too!

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (raitalle) | 42 comments I've never donated before, because I usually just miss it/I've found it kind of overwhelming. I'd love to break the pattern this year and contribute to the team!

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Dec 03, 2019 02:43AM) (new)

The fundraiser is live, and so is our team page. Or well they don't appear to have Teams this year, but rather "individual" fundraisers within fundraisers. I thought I was doing something wrong but even Pat's "team" is done that way.

Either way we have a page! Sword & Laser World Builders

I had planned to donate first thing this morning to kick things off, but then I realized I don't know what my password is so I have to wait until after work.

Hopefully one of you can kick it off instead.

I wasn't sure how much of a goal to set for us, so after discussing with Tom & Veronica we went with $1000.

Any amount is helpful, and it's for a great cause.

If you're not familiar with how the lottery bit works, it's pretty simple: for every $10 you donate to our worldbuilders (that includes donations through the S&L page) you get entered into the lottery. You can see all the cool stuff you can win on the Worldbuilders Lottery page.

There are also auctions on Ebay. Those won't associate you with the S&L team, but it's another way to donate and one that guarentees you a prize (assuming you win of course). Right now there doesn't appear to be too many auctions up, but I think they add some as it goes on.

message 11: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 343 comments Thanks for getting the page up! I'll donate on the S&L page once I've either won an auction or lost all hope of winning one.

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sky wrote: "Thanks for getting the page up! I'll donate on the S&L page once I've either won an auction or lost all hope of winning one."

lol. I'm not sure if I should wish you good luck or bad. Good luck means you get something cool that you want. Bad luck means S&L gets more of your money (and more chances for you to win something from the lottery)

But in both cases the money goes to worldbuilders so win-win!

And thanks to Mark and Stephanie for already donating!

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Hmm. Apparently they are doing donation matching right now, so my donation was matched by Worldbuilders, but the earlier two weren't.

I guess it's a good thing I couldn't donate this morning, but had I known they'd be doing matching later today I'd have waited to share the link.

message 14: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2708 comments Mod
We are only $26 off reaching the target today.

Great cause. Thanks for setting this up Rob.

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah, I guess we should have aimed higher on our goal. Although I wasn't accounting for the donation matching. If it had been in place from the start we'd already be over the goal.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Looks like we hit our goal already! Hmm, seems like we need strech goals.

Of course I have no real way of incentiving stuff. It seems like most of the other teams are doing stuff to encourage people to donate to them.

I got nothing. Maybe friendly competition to compete with other teams like /r/fantasy or something? I dunno.

But hey we already raised a bunch of money for a good cause. Good job everyone!

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (last edited 17 hours, 35 min ago) (new)

We've moved up to #8 with $2206!

That means we're just $87 behind /r/fantasy at #7.

We're $881 behind the #6 team, so that may not be feesible.

There looks to be about $30,000 of matching left though, so that really only means we need ~$44 and ~$441 to catch up!

Really though since the goal was $1000, even without the matching we've exheeded that in only 2 days.

You guys are awesome!

message 18: by Mark (last edited 12 hours, 26 min ago) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 1389 comments Who's up for Roberator 2020?

Edit: I guess that would be limited to US citizens.

message 19: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Mark wrote: "Who's up for Roberator 2020?

Edit: I guess that would be limited to US citizens."

The goal is for more donations..not fewer..

I'm working on a small incentive to add to our team, just waiting to hear back from Tom & Veronica.

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Mark wrote: "Who's up for Roberator 2020?

Edit: I guess that would be limited to US citizens."

He's way preferable to the "other" (incumbent) choice ;-)

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

So as a small incentive Tom has agreed to read the names of all of the people who donate through the S&L team page on an upcoming Podcast.

If anyone who donates (or already has) would rather not be mentioned, or prefer a different name from the one it shows on the world builders site (ex if Tassie Dave would prefer to be mentioned as Tassie Dave rather than his first and last name) please let me know and I'll simply count you among the anonymous donors instead.

I'll be giving them your full names, so if you'd just prefer a first name let me know that too.

Those of you donate anonymously will forgo that (we've had 3 of those so far) honor but you very much appreciated too!

Since post this morning the /r/fantasy folks have moved way ahead but we're still clinging to that #8 spot.

Any little bit helps, especially while they are still doing the matching.

OK, I'll shut up. I'm not trying to turn this into some kind of telethon. Webathon? Whatever you call it.

message 22: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 1389 comments Rob, thanks for setting this up.

message 23: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited 4 hours, 34 min ago) (new)

I'd prefer Tassie Dave (Only because that's what I'm known as here).

message 24: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tassie Dave wrote: "I'd prefer Tassie Dave (Only because that's what I'm know as here)."

Yeah, I'd have had no idea who you were if you hadn't put Tassie Dave in your message!