Reading Women discussion

Know My Name
This topic is about Know My Name
Reading Women Challenge 2020 > 24) A Book from the 2019 Reading Women Award Shortlists or Honorable Mentions

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 559 comments Mod
24) A Book from the 2019 Reading Women Award Shortlists or Honorable Mentions

Honorable Mentions

Nonfiction Shortlist

Fiction Shortlist

What are you planning on reading for this challenge? Any recommendations? Tell us ALL the things!

Be sure to check out the 2020 challenge page for more resources!

message 2: by Murtaza (new)

Murtaza Kuwarawala (pjwalebaabu) | 10 comments Frankisstein will be my choice here

message 3: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Satsangi (niharsatsangi) | 11 comments Good-Talk might be the one for me!

message 4: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 64 comments I was trying to decide between Red at the Bone and Women Talking, but then I realized I could do both by bumping Jacqueline Woodson's book into the LGBTQ+ prompt.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Pretty sure it's going to be Women Talking for me

Charlotte (charleyroxy) | 43 comments I have Cantoras so will be reading that.

☆ Katie (katielems) | 10 comments I read Know My Name a few months ago, and it was spectacular

message 8: by Tanvi (last edited Dec 02, 2019 01:56PM) (new) - added it

Tanvi (tanvi_v) Oh, man, why are there so many amazing-looking choices?

message 9: by Zoe (new) - added it

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 39 comments A listopia for you to vote on is here :)

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 10 comments Also reading Cantoras for this one.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (elizabethlk) | 104 comments I might have gone with Good Talk, but I'm actually reading it now. I'm thinking about going with The Collected Schizophrenias, which I've had my eye on all year.

Caley Ann (Katie) (caleyann) I'm going to go with Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson. There were so many good ones to choose from!

Caley

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara Nelson | 21 comments Thinking of doing This Time Will Be Different

message 14: by Ula (new)

Ula | 1 comments I just happened to start reading Women Talking today! I looked at your lists for this challenge and there it was.

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Stapleton (hannahstapleton) | 25 comments Women Talking for me as well!

message 16: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (elisabethcridlin) | 2 comments “ My time among the whites : notes from an unfinished education” by Jennine Capó Crucet looks really good.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 51 comments Are all the books for the prompt listed in the description of the podcast?

message 18: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 559 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Are all the books for the prompt listed in the description of the podcast?"

Yes, just follow the links in the description above, and that will have all the books listed there.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I have read most of these. But am already on hold for Know My Name, so it will be that or To Keep the Sun Alive.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan (lahairoi) Just completed #24 (RW shortlist 2019) - Women Talking by Miriam Toews. Incredibly sad and incredibly important to read. I appreciate that the author sought, at least fictionally, to give the women a choice as to their next chapter. I wasn't a fan of the narrator - I found some of his thoughts to be distracting to the story. Definitely worth reading! 4 stars

5/26

message 21: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments I also read Women Talking by Miriam Toews. It's a powerful story (based on real events) but the way the author presented it was rather odd. I kept hoping it would become a 4 Star book but in the end I could only give it 3 Stars.

message 22: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  Benedict | 19 comments I will probably read Cantoras. Been wanting to read that for awhile.

Tamzen | 26 comments Know My Name: A Memoir is the first book this year for my bookclub, so this was an easy one to cross off. I'm looking forward to reading some of the others over the next 12 months though.

More Bedside Books This is ironically going to be the hardest prompt of the challenge for me I think, lol. I remember hearing about Frankissstein: A Love Story last year because it was a nominee for the Booker Prize. I suppose I will try and get my hands on a copy, though that's not looking so straightforward either.

message 25: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia (sophron) | 43 comments I have read Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli.
Unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of it.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 6 comments I read Good Talk last year and highly recommend it.

Molly | whatismollyreading (whatismollyreading) | 86 comments I read Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls for this one and LOVED it.

message 28: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 91 comments For this prompt I have read The Collected Schizophrenias: Essays by Esme Weijun Wang. Really great read.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Young | 7 comments Cantoras by Carolina de Robertis

More Bedside Books Because I forgot to follow up, just popping in to say I absolutely DO NOT recommend Frankissstein and am dismayed at the attention its received. My review with a little bit of spoilers if anyone is curious.

message 31: by Prajna (new)

Prajna | 40 comments I'm going to read Red at the bone too.

message 32: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia (dogdaysinaz) | 32 comments I read Cantoras.
Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis