Our Shared Shelf discussion

Nov & Dec - Rebecca Solnit Books > Have you read any other feminist children's books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Florian (last edited Nov 19, 2019 01:39PM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 234 comments Yes, I read "From the Star in the Sky to the Fish in the Sea." by Kai Cheng Thom. It is really good, my mother read it too (twice). I was quite happy she read it, and I offered it to my big sister.

I really advice that book, and I guess I'll read it to my children if one day I have some.

Excellent thread by the way! I suppose I'll read most of the book that will be suggested here and I will keep them in my for the future. Indeed, I believe it is important to approach feminism and other topics with children to raise their awareness. The sooner, the better. I wish I have been told more stories about those subjects when I was young: Intersex, feminism, Transgender, differences, oppression and discrimination etc...

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 22 comments We really like Lucia the Luchadora!

message 3: by Kate (last edited Nov 20, 2019 10:56AM) (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments As a child, I was read The Tough Princess, I remember the vivid pictures and having discussions around the themes in an age-appropriate understanding way, recommend it to read with children.

I've also read most of Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls.

A Mighty Girl website and Facebook page has a bunch of empowering feminist books.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments It's a great question to ask which of my children's books were feminist, because at the time I had zero awareness of it. And I suddenly realized I absolutely did have a favorite:

Ann Can Fly by Fred Phleger with illustrations by Robert Lopshire, 1959.

I appreciate the following online review of the book, mostly for being able to see the illustrations after so many years but also for the wry commentary. In the middle picture, Ann really is holding the controls all by herself:

http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykid...

As a boy, I had no concept of how radical this book was. For me, it was just a fun story of aerial adventure--which makes it all the more compelling. It turns out Phleger was actually a prominent marine geologist of all things and was inspired to write children's books from his friendship with Dr. Seuss. I'd love to know what inspired him to make the protagonist a girl.

I love this book.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 22, 2019 12:53AM) (new)

Emma wrote: "Cinderella Liberator is a children's book that has feminist themes. Have any of you read any other children's books that are feminist in nature?

I've only read one, Good Nigh..."

Hey Emma, I've found an author lurking on fashion magazines while in free time and found a book once, that can be given to children too, I believe....

Something easy to digest ! It's in French so it may please you but unfortunately not in English, anyway I love to try speak french with friends to improve in that beautiful language of yours !!

description

Soledad Bravi

Pourquoi y a t-il des inégalités entre les hommes et les femmes ?

Hope you will enjoy it !! It was really funny 💁‍♀️

message 6: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
I meeeaaaaan, Matilda by Roald Dahl.
Yep. :) one of my all time faves!

The Artisan Geek (theartisangeek) I've read both Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History and Women in Battle, which I felt were really good. I also have Suffragette: The Battle for Equality in my bookcase waiting to be read :).

message 8: by J. (new)

J. | 1 comments The Paper Bag Princess, by Robert Munsch. Didn’t read it until I was an adult working in a bookstore, but it’s awesome! Short, simple, and to the point!

message 9: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Melo (ladysonya) | 2 comments Yes, the Paperbag Princess.

message 10: by Kritika (new)

Kritika Singh (kritikasingh) | 1 comments There are a few by some Indian authors:

1. A Dot That Went For A Walk by Sarada Akkineni, Reema Gupta, and Lakshmi Nambiar,

2. Like A Girl by Aparna Jain,

3. Set of 5 books by The Irrelevant Project (https://www.theirrelevantproject.com/...)

message 11: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Mujica | 3 comments Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole is a good one too!

message 12: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Walker I know that I have read a few children's books that were feminist in nature, but the only one I could think of right now is

Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters, by Kathleen Ragan.

It's a collection of very old fairy tales and legends from around the world where women, not men, saved the day.

For years I had been frustrated with fairy tales being overly dominated by male characters and most of the women having little power over anything, and at some point I was thinking about dumping all of my folklore books and never returning to them.

Till this book should up, which it saved me from forsaking the world of fairy tales.