Multiverse--Michael Moorcock discussion

Michael Moorcock
This topic is about Michael Moorcock
Books > Moorcock's Miscellany Maintenance 2019

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Hi,

Moorcock's Miscellany will experience a period of maintenance. During this time, you might encounter errors, or the site might seem down. The maintenance should be completed by mid-December 2019.

Thanks,
Mr. The Fox

message 2: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments Exciting news Mr. The Fox! Does this mean a re-vamp of the forum is in the works? :-)

message 3: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Think of it as The Miscellany rising into the cloud.

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 77 comments Mod
Thanks for the update, Mr. Fox!

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Carrisi | 2 comments Wow! would love to see the miscelleney back!

KennethMcCutcheon | 34 comments Hi Berry , Brilliant news !! Will the management of the Moorcock Inn have to reapply for our licence or do we just send in some nice GranBretanians to pick it up ? Just so we can open in time for the Pan Tang Pole Dancers and the Ziva Clones arriving !!!

message 7: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments All will be revealed in time. Hey, you guys like mysteries dontcha? Maybe let the guys at Facebook know about the maintenance.

message 8: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 1 of maintenance has been completed. I transferred DNS from Dreamhost to CloudNS, which gives us global coverage where we had none before. Connections to multiverse.org should be much faster for most users.

message 9: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 2 of maintenance has been completed. The Domain name multiverse.org belongs to me until 2029. No one is going to be stealing the domain for a while at least.

message 10: by Berry (last edited Nov 17, 2019 07:49AM) (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 3 of maintenance: test DNS redirect to new cloud service. Successful! www.multiverse.org locked until other maintenance has been performed. Nothing to see at this time.

message 11: by Berry (last edited Nov 17, 2019 07:51AM) (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 4 of maintenance: SSL is active, and the certificate looks good. This means that all connections to www.multiverse.org can be made securely with common browsers, and helps us meet standards set by mobile manufacturers, allowing for end-to-end modern encryption.

message 12: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments Thanks Berry for all your hard work, the new site looks great! I just tested the waters and signed back up. I'm excited about the future of Multiverse.org and look forward to re-connecting with everyone! :-)

message 13: by Anthony (new)

Thanks also to Cinema for the follow-up post confirming that we can sign up at the Miscellany. I just logged in under the old pseudonym of Guzzlecrank, which doesn't quite suit me like it used to, but it's better than total anonymity, I suppose!

message 14: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Guys, I'm sorry, but I will be restoring the old site with your accounts. Those who sign up now will find the new accounts go away, but your old one will work. So forgive me for not saying that before: there is no point in signing up now.

Phase 5 of maintenance completed:

wiki.multiverse.org and images.multiverse.org are active.

Remember: we are still in maintenance.

message 15: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 6 of maintenance completed: configure webserver for wiki and images. Next up is to configure those two applicaitons.

message 16: by Anthony (new)

Got it! Thanks for the update, Berry.

message 17: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments Thanks for the update! Sorry, I got excited seeing the site back and couldn't resist signing back up. It's nice to hear our old accounts will be restored along with the site once it's officially back up and running.

message 18: by Berry (last edited Nov 18, 2019 05:49PM) (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 7 of maintenance: The Wikiverse has been upgraded to the latest version of mediawiki.

message 19: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 8 of maintenance: I just created a github account for all of the code we are using. More cloudiness can't be that bad. This is a repository service.

message 20: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 9 of maintenance: All relevant code has been put into the appropriate repos. I've also made an official request to vbulletin to import our old website into the cloud. Next order of business is to sort out gallery 3's upgrade. It failed, because we have Gallery 3 already.

message 21: by Heresiologist (new)

Heresiologist | 190 comments Mod
Wow. It's like the website version of The Dream of Earl Aubec. Keep mastering the chaos, Mister Fox.

message 22: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments o7

message 23: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Thanks for the support. Taking the night off.

message 24: by Anthony (new)

No sleep for the wicked!

message 25: by Lemec (new)

Lemec | 249 comments Mod
Amazing! Fantastic! Thanks!

I will look into this when my internet is faster again, then I can load Facebook faster too.

message 26: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments Berry wrote: "Thanks for the support. Taking the night off."

Thanks for all your hard work, you deserve it!

message 27: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 10 of maintenance: I have handed over the data and some files. Multiverse will be scrubbed, then imported by vbulletin engineers. We are kind of at the mercy of Vbulletin. If we are lucky, maybe we will see what we want today, though I expect it to happen after the holiday.

message 28: by Lemec (new)

Lemec | 249 comments Mod
Thanks Berry!

message 29: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments 👍

message 30: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments I've requested an ETA for the work they are to do. I imagine they have families too, so, not a big surprise this isn't going any faster.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Nelson | 1 comments Very exciting to see this happening---thanks to all for the serious work that must be going into this. Once all is said and done, will we be able to resume using our old identities, or should we re-register>?

Pietro_Mercurios_01 | 73 comments Mod
This is all quite exciting!

message 33: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments It appears as though The Miscellany is back! All of our old posts are there...seeing the site back to its former glory made my day...thanks Berry for all of your hard work! :-D

message 34: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments After perusing links over at Multiverse.org it would seem maintenance is still ongoing. The front page of the old forum looks is though the site is fully up and running, but after clicking on several of the links an invalid page URL error message appears. I'm sure all will be fixed over time.

message 35: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Phase 11 completed, the importation of data from the old version of the site successful. I logged in, but all the links are broken. I've contacted vbCloud to have that looked at. I also noticed that I couldn't manage the forums yet, so there maybe a need to increase privileges (database jargon). We'll be in this half state for a few more days. Hang tight!

message 36: by Berry (new)

Berry | 18 comments Chris wrote: "Very exciting to see this happening---thanks to all for the serious work that must be going into this. Once all is said and done, will we be able to resume using our old identities, or should we re..."

If you can remember your old password, username and email address, and the email address is still functional, you should be in good shape. I cannot commit to any other type of rescue at this time unfortunately.

message 37: by Fammann (new)

Fammann | 5 comments Wow this is great. Just discovered this thread. Amazing. I first posted in the Miscellany is sort of up thread. So this explains it all. Locking forward to connecting back in the forum.

message 38: by Cinema (new)

Cinema Obscura (cinemaobscura) | 28 comments Berry wrote: "Chris wrote: "Very exciting to see this happening---thanks to all for the serious work that must be going into this. Once all is said and done, will we be able to resume using our old identities, o..."

I couldn't remember my old password, but the system allowed me to change it so I was able to still use my old identity.

message 39: by Heresiologist (new)

Heresiologist | 190 comments Mod
Berry wrote: "Phase 11 completed, the importation of data from the old version of the site successful. I logged in, but all the links are broken."
Had the same problem. Tried massaging a few of the malformed looking URLs (lotta question marks not connected to anything that looks like a query string) to see if I could make anything work, but no luck.

Berry wrote: "I also noticed that I couldn't manage the forums yet, so there maybe a need to increase privileges (database jargon)."

Let the white-hat privilege escalation begin!