Women's Fiction authors discussion

Roll call!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Mar 18, 2008 05:44AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenlipton) | 1 comments Mod
Let's start with the easy stuff. Post your book here. Here's mine, It's About Your Husband.

From the back cover:

What do you do when the Big Apple bites back?

San Fernando Valley native Iris Hedge left her husband and traded coasts for the job of a lifetime—only to lose it in a New York minute. Now unattached, unemployed, and broke, she dreads her loneliness and imminent credit card bills...until she’s offered an exciting, new gig: spying on a possibly cheating, uptown husband named Steve.

Soon Iris is trading her business wardrobe for the stalker chic of sweatpants and dark eyewear, and navigating the hazards of urban surveillance—Central Park’s fascist dog-walking rules, rejection from exclusive boutiques, and a series of unnatural hair colors. But as she steps into uncharted territory, she wonders if her life will ever go back to normal—and if normal is anything she’ll ever be happy with again.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 2 comments Hey Lauren! Thanks so much for creating this group!

My book is called SCOT ON THE ROCKS (How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So-Slightly Intact) and it was published by Red Dress Ink in April 2007.

Here's a bit about it:

Attending your ex-boyfriend's wedding should be against the law....

When her ex-boyfriend, Trip, gets engaged to Hollywood's latest It Girl, Manhattan attorney Brooke Miller plans to attend the wedding. Who says a modern girl can't stay friends with her ex? Besides, Brooke's got her sexy Scottish fiance, Douglas, to take her as a date. Okay, so maybe he's not exactly her fiance, but they're living together in his apartment, so she'll be getting the ring any minute, right? Wrong.

When a fight leaves her without a boyfriend (much less a fiance) just days before the wedding, Brooke faces the ultimate humiliation of attending her ex-boyfriend's nuptials alone. Desperate to find a replacement to fill Douglas's kilt, Brooke concocts an outrageous plan to survive the wedding and win the man of her dreams, all with her dignity ever-so-slightly intact.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments Hi. Thanks for inviting me to join! I have a couple of novels in print and a new one coming out in September. I'm honored to be invited to join but forgive me if I'm not as diligent a poster as I should be!

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hodapp (mardapp) | 2 comments Hello . . . I am a writer who grew weary of reading books where the main characters were cute, dimpled and twenty. Ladies who are older still lead interesting and exciting lives.
My books tell stories of women who are over forty, yet dealing with romance, adventure and intrigue. Companionship and support between friends is stressed. I hope to find women of my generation who are searching for books about women our age.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenmeister) | 2 comments Mega-thanks for starting this group, Lauren. What a great idea!

My first book, SECRET CONFESSIONS OF THE APPLEWOOD PTA is available in trade paperback. It's a friendship story about three women who conspire to get a George Clooney movie filmed in their children's schoolyard. Library Journal called it "heartbreakingly funny."

My second book, THE SMART ONE, comes out in early August ... but more on that later!

xx

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri Hi Everyone,
This looks like a great group. My first two women's fiction novels were published by a small press that closed down.
The first was Lost Souls of the Witches' Castle, based on the Psy facility north of Boston where I did my RN Psychiatric training and is the story of a love both past and present. The prequel, Daughters of the Mill, goes back to 1875 and deals with the Mill girls at a textile mill in Lowell, Massachusetts. It spans forty years and is about women's rights....or lack of....in that era.
I've now recently signed a two-book contract with Kensington Publishing in NYC and my women's fiction, Spinning Forward, will be released spring 2009. My character is 52 yr. old Sydney Webster....married to a prominent physician in Lexington, Mass. following his death from a car crash, she finds herself evicted from her posh upscale home due to his gambling debts she wasn't aware of. Sydney uproots with a few belongings, her Boxer dog and no direction to head to Cedar Key, an island off the west coast of Florida, to stay with her friend from college who owns the B&B on the island. Although searching for the "real" Sydney, she ends up finding much more.
Wishing everyone happy reading and writing.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello all:
I'm thrilled to find this group. My first novel, House and Home, is due out July 1 from Hyperion. It's about a forty-something woman who has to sell her house because she's getting divorced. But she loves the house so much -- it's the place she brought her babies home to! -- that she decides to burn it down, so no one else can ever have it. There are many more plot twists and turns, but that's the plot summary in a sentence.
I have a question for all you more experienced authors: How do even begin to deal with trying to get a good publicity buzz going for your book? Do you rely on your publisher's in-house publicist? Hire your own? (Sounds expensive) Hope for the best? I'm completely new to the whole world of book publishing and want to make sure I'm doing all I can to promote the book, but it seems like a Sisyphean task.
I'm looking forward to reading all your books!
Kathleen

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Blake | 1 comments Hi, What a great group! My debut novel, Woman Redeemed celebrates women in community! As we trace the steps of Mary Magdalene from her wealthy sucesses to her empty lack of fulfillment to her seeking meaning through the teachings of Jesus, we see the beauty, faith and inspiration of the community of women who stepped out of the social norm to follow Jesus as He taught and traveled...my website is www.womanredeemednovel.com

message 9: by Lina (new)

Lina Jay (linajay) | 2 comments I'm new to the site and new to the group! My books are available on my website. I have given readers the option to either read the first chapter of each book or "listen" to the first chapter. I love writing and reading books. My collection of novels include romance, drama, young adult and children's books.

www.linaj.com

message 10: by Gail (last edited Jun 20, 2008 02:13PM) (new)

Gail | 5 comments Hi Ladies,

As a dedicated reader and passionate writer, I am glad to find myself in your company. The discussions here are GREAT and I'm already feeling a positive surge in my creativity!

I write romance and romantic suspense, and my latest novel is DREAM RUNNER , for Genesis Press/Indigo. You can read the first chapter of DREAM RUNNER here on GoodReads -- please do, and leave a comment. My books can be found online (via Amazon) or in your local bookstore, and I am looking forward to hearing more and exchanging thoughts and reviews with this group.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (scpennington) | 16 comments
Hello, all. My debut novel, Hoodoo Money, was released by Draumr Publishing in May. Here's the back cover text:

THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS AS THEY SEEM IN THE BIG EASY. . .

After her almost-wedding to a bigamist, successful children’s author Braeden McKay has given up on love. She’s content to live vicariously through her imaginary heroine, Platypus Pearl, and a gaggle of adventurous, web-footed cohorts — until a working vacation in New Orleans shakes up her quiet, structured world. Had she known that souvenir nickel stolen from the grave of a hoodoo woman would catapult her into a nightmare of betrayal and murder, she would have insisted her friend put it back.

Cursed nickel or unfortunate happenstance? Sanderson Montgomery isn’t one to discount the supernatural beliefs of others. This is The Big Easy, after all, Mecca to the spiritual and the superstitious. As a veteran detective, neither does he ignore cold, hard fact. And the fact is, someone or something is bent on harming Braeden McKay, and it’s up to him to protect her while keeping his heart out of the mix.

CAN LOVE, THE VERY THING BRAEDEN WANTS NO PART OF, BE THE ONE FORCE GREATER THAN ANY ADVERSARY —EVEN A HOODOO CURSE?

You can read an excerpt at my website:
http://www.sharonpenningtonwrites.web...

Sharon

message 12: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln (lincolnpark) Thank you for your gracious invitation to be a part of this group. Below, is the 'official' description of my latest (3rd) novel, HANDLE TiME:

Just who ARE those phone support people you call every day -- you know -- the support reps who give you troubleshooting tips, sales slogans, prepaid phone refills, directory assistance, driving directions and bank balances?

Have you ever wondered where THEY go once you hang up the phone?

In her third novel, HANDLE TiME, contemporary fiction writer, LiNCOLN PARK, brings you a saucy, searing and HILARIOUS story; which explores the inner workings of an AMERICAN CALL CENTER. Take a guided tour -- if you dare -- through this weird, wild world of worker-bees; which exists in twisted parallel to your own! PARENTAL ADVISORY

There's an excerpt of the book posted on my profile. I know that most writers are too busy with their own works to read many others; but if you know anyone who does, or who has ever worked in a call center, maybe you might suggest this book to them. I know for a fact that they feel largely unrecognized by the larger society -- and most of them would love to know that their voices have finally been put to print - via - HANDLE TiME.

Thanks!

LP

message 13: by Amie (new)

Amie (amiestuart) | 10 comments Morning all! I like dabbling in a lot of genres but have yet to sell in Women's Fiction (which I LOVE to read). Right now I"m writing for Kensington (waves to Terri) under the Aphrodisia imprint!

message 14: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (ivanahruba) Hi everyone,
My debut novel 'A Decent Ransom'(Kunati Books) is releasing in October 2008. I love to get some readers:). For more info go to:www.ivanahruba.com
Thanks, cheers Ivana

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 4 comments Roll Call: "Here!"

My newest novel is about a group of women who gather monthly to play the dice game known as BUNKO.

It's Not Your Mother's Bridge Club is available at all the online outlets. I'm donating revenues from books sold to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. One in eight women will get breast cancer in her lifetime and there are eight women in this story. Just as I started planning a promotional campaign for this book (my least favorite part of being an author) one of my friends had a bad mammogram. That sealed the deal for me. This book is about women learning to support other women.

message 16: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylav) | 1 comments Hey All, and thanks for starting this group.

My novels "Hypnotic" (erotic suspense: A nurse with a ferocious sexual appetite and.. Did I mention a stalker?) and "Lovely, I Die (suspense: Housewife turns serial killer...yeah I know) are available now.
Please visit my website, www.freewebs.com/novelistgal/
or myspace.com/shaylavmcclellon

I hope to get to know some of you.. hell how bout all of ya and do what we women normally do, BOND!!
Best wishes to all and many sales!

Shayla V. McClellon
Hypnotic

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Wingate (susan_wingate) | 5 comments Hello Ladies!
My novels are "Of the Law" (crime novel - wealthy Leona falls victim of a sex murder) and "Bobby's Diner" (widow and ex-wife of Bobby are co-heirs to his diner).

Right now I'm shopping my third novel. An excerpt from it was selected for publication in literary journal, the Superstition Review (ASU press).

My website is www.susanwingate.com and my blog is www.susanwingate.blogspot.com.

Wow! It looks like we have a very prolific bunch of writers in this group.
-Susan :)

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Agiewich | 2 comments Hello everyone. I look forward to checking out some of your books!

My novel "BreakupBabe," set in Seattle and at the mighty "Empire Corporation", is a semi-autobiographical account of a struggling writer who gets horribly and humiliatingly dumped and starts a blog to vent about it. As her dating life becomes a roller coaster filled with Hot But Inappropriate Boys ("HBIBs), her blog becomes increasingly popular and she finds inspiration from her audience -- which functions like a Greek chorus. It's a comic story about love, heartbreak, and dating but also about a writer gaining confidence in herself.

(This novel is based on my real life dating blog Breakup Babe (http://breakupbabe.blogspot.com) - which I don't write on anymore but is still online!)

Rebecca Agiewich
www.RebeccaAgiewich.com

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 12 comments Just imagine....Sex and the City meets the mortgage crisis.

That pretty much sums up my first novel, LEGS, which has just been released from the publisher:

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/Bo...

I'm still working on my website and scheduling events, but I promised my goodreads friends they would be the first to know when the book was released.

Best wishes,

Angela

message 20: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 7 comments Have you ever wished to be anywhere but where you are now? Be careful. That is just what nurse Geri Lanham did while assisting the doctor in removing her favorite patient from life support. Something goes terribly wrong and she ends up in 1888 complete with a murder charge. Contending with time travel was bad enough but one onery, albeit handsome sheriff wants to put a noose around her slender neck. Sheriff Andrew Robinson’s ordered world was black and white with no room for gray areas until he makes a slender green-eyed beauty his prisoner. Trying to find her way back to her time, Geri realizes that once a promise is made from the heart it can transcend time to be forever promised.
Online at Barnes and Nobles, Amazon or www.ForeverPromised.com

My first book signing is Sat Oct 11 at 10 am!

message 21: by Tina (last edited Oct 10, 2008 08:41AM) (new)

Tina (wrtrforkner) What a great group. Ruby Among Us: A Novel Ruby Among Us: A Novel by Tina Ann Forkner

message 22: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisechidley) | 5 comments Hi everyone, my first novel Your Roots Are Showing comes out later this month. Meanwhile, I've been given strict orders by my publicist to 'create an online presence'. Trouble is, all this browsing and chatting just eats up the writing time. And it's so tempting, because you can kid yourself that you're working while you cruise around looking at other people's reviews of Cold Comfort Farm, etc!

message 23: by Mara (new)

Mara Purl (mara_purl) | 7 comments Greetings! Thank you, Lauren, for hosting this. I thought I was writing fiction, but was fascinated to discover I'm writing Women's Fiction. What's that? I have a theory, which I now talk about on my book tours, and it always turns into a lively discussion. How did I get here? Combining elements from my eclectic background (actress on "Days of Our Lives" and reporter for Associated Press, Financial Times of London, Rolling Stone) I created "Milford-Haven USA", a radio soap that had 4.5 million listeners on BBC radio. This developed into the Milford-Haven Novels, the fourth of which has just been published. The first three have won awards, which is encouraging. What do I love about fiction? It's the lens through which I look at life. What is fiction at its best? Truth-telling. I'd love to hear your comments. Visit me at www.MaraPurl.com.

message 24: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 2 comments I joined this prestigious group of women writers several weeks (or is it months?) ago, and I am only now introducing myself. My novel, THE SINNER'S GUIDE TO CONFESSION was released by Putnam/Berkley in May, 2008. My website is www.thesinnersguidetoconfession.com
My last novel WILLING SPIRITS will be rereleased in paperback in March, 2009. I am a little overwhelmed by the marketing expectations that everyone seems to be more savvy about than I am! I don't know what to do first. What is a blog tour, and how do I do that? All this marketing takes away from the limited time I have to write since I also have to work to make money. It's a real conflict, and I never know how to handle it.
I am, however, delighted to have this forum to chat with other writers of Women's Fiction.At least, I know that I am in good company. I am eager to share ideas about marketing and eager to learn as much as possible. I did a local radio station yesterday--WOVX--and it was interesting. I'd rather stay home and write, but I force myself to get out there and do what I have to do!

message 25: by Ill Literati (new)

Ill Literati Crazy People In Books (IllLiterati) | 5 comments Howdy!

I'm a recent graduate from Columbia College's Writing program. I'm editing a collection of stories by writers, librarians, and booksellers titled IllLiterati: Crazy People in Books.

If you think you have a story to tell about the interesting characters you've met while at book signings, please do submit! http://illliterati.wordpress.com/

Thanks for this awesome group, good luck with the writing, and I hope to hear from some of you!

Jessie
Editor, IllLiterati: Crazy People in Books
illliteraticrazypeopleinbooks@gmail.com

message 26: by Ill Literati (new)

Ill Literati Crazy People In Books (IllLiterati) | 5 comments This sounds awesome. And I LOVE the title!

message 27: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 01, 2008 11:00PM) (new)

Cassandra | 1 comments Hi my name is Cassandra Miller I am the author of Breakin' Down The walls

Breakin' Down The Walls is a fictional depiction of the triumphs and the struggles of women of color. Although it is a work of fiction, reality flows through each woman's story.In a provocative and passionate style, Cassandra Miller explores these women's physical, emotional, and spiritual needs in a language that is both raw and poetic. The frank sexual passages are not meant to simply shock but to add realism to the plight of women used by unfaithful men and counseled by confidants trapped in the same sad situations. The women's voices are strong and memorable.

message 28: by Ali (new)

Ali | 2 comments Hello Everyone!

My name is Ali Marsman, author of 'Sporadic Memoreis' the first to my trilogy released in June '08 by Saga Books.

Thank you for allowing us to share our work...here is the write up from the back of the novel...Enjoy!

'Sporadic Memories' is a novel about a lifestyle that needs to be read about. Within the first few pages you will realize there has been a loss, it is not sad though. The narrator expresses with great enthusiasm the life they lived, which makes it nice during times when it becomes difficult.

By the first few pages I hope you can tell that the narrator has been alive a long time, explaining the way it is written.

There is no distinction between the characters genders.

The Part that remembers the time they gave bracelets to one another, brings about another way of coming together...following how their courtship developed and the apple tree that is depicted throughout the novel using its fruit. It gets sad for a bit after this, but notice that it gets sad because there is so much more to why the one lost is worth writing about.

It is partly a love story. You know for sure it is when you get to the part about the piano played and music written, you should at least read to the first song.

The memory at the exhibition and recalling times in the rain and snow is next. They travelled a lot together and you will read of a place if you read a little after the description of the surrounding of their home.

If you read to the first birthday mentioned, you will find a recipe worth trying, a poem worth reading, and fireworks. The narrator is a playwright, so there is a play that is broken down throughout the novel...it is a difficult read, but it is important in showing how the two brought their work together, and what differences they made.

Things are repeated to show how important positive repetition is, showing how to move on while remembering especially the passion.

This novel is full of passion carried through the love they had for each other, their work, and friends...you might want to read at least until you hear about their friends.
This novel completes the story as the pages go on, putting certain pages together will bring the memories in order.

It is an easy read.

It Is written poetically which gives it justice. It begins the way it ends...

'Sporadic Memories' is a novel about a life that needs to be read.

message 29: by Ginnetta (last edited Dec 04, 2008 05:01PM) (new)

Ginnetta Hello all and thank you Lauren for hosting this group.
My book The Lost Episodes of Beatie Scareli is a novel written as a hybrid of a script. With prose resulting in quick, deftly crafted scenes what starts off told through the voice of a teenage girl (Beatie Scareli) is the story of how a girl tries to make sense of her life through a nickelodeon view of the world. At the same time a woman watches the girl's past on her television. The story soon turns and twists until everything about the girl and her family becomes darkly connected to what becomes reality and fiction in the woman or reader's mind.

please visit my site on at: http://beatiescareli.com

message 30: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 04, 2008 12:21PM) (new)

Suzanne (suzannevreese) | 1 comments Thanks Lauren,
Here's the press release that just came out for my book, Where Hearts Prosper:

Springville, UT—Bonneville Books, a division of Cedar Fort, Inc. is pleased to announce a new book by Suzanne V. Reese, Where Hearts Prosper. This uplifting work of romantic fiction is set in the fictional town of Prosper, Arizona, during the flooding that occurred along the Virgin River in January, 2005.

It is the story of a devoted single mother, Carmen Anderson, who returns to the small town where she was raised just days before the worst storm of the century. Carmen is in Chicago on business when her rebellious teenage daughter Paige is stranded in Prosper by the flood, stuck with a town full of people she hardly knows, but despises anyway.

Jeopardizing both her career and a proposal of marriage, Carmen sets out on a desperate cross-country chase to be reunited with her daughter before the girl unwittingly uncovers a painful secret buried deep in Carmen’s past. A secret that has kept her from embracing her family, God, devoted friends, and the precious gift of true love.

Where Hearts Prosper, is a quick and easy read, written for a national audience. It carries themes of family, community, faith, and the value of sharing one another’s burdens.

Suzanne is available for book group signings, as a guest speaker, or for interviews. She can be reached at info@suzannevreese.com, or by visiting her website at http://www.suzannevreese.com.
Where Hearts Prosper

message 31: by Nikole (new)

Nikole Hahn (nikole_hahn) | 7 comments Hello...I'm new to good reads. I am an author of short stories in various small press publications. Recently, I have had published "Idle Talk" in Taj Mahal Review. It just came out this December. It's a story about a woman as described by three co-workers and their observations. It shows how we can all try to follow God's law, but sometimes we miss the heart of it.

This is my first literary story in a literary journal.

message 32: by Nikole (new)

Nikole Hahn (nikole_hahn) | 7 comments P.S> Brenda, I'm sorry to hear this. Writing can be so soothing.

message 33: by Nikole (new)

Nikole Hahn (nikole_hahn) | 7 comments Also, I just posted in my webblog newsletter a new story. You all are welcome to read. I love feedback. www.thehahnhuntinglodge.com

message 34: by Misha (new)

Misha Crews (mishacrews) | 4 comments Hi ladies. I'm new to Goodreads, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and reading your books!

My book, Homesong, is a contemporary romance about a small Virginia town and its secrets. I hope you'll visit my website and read about it: www.mishacrews.com.

From the back cover:

In a small town, everyone knows everything about everybody. Or do they?

For twenty years, Kate Doyle has been haunted by the night when she was forced to flee from her tiny Virginia home town and abandon her childhood sweetheart, Reed Fitzgerald. So when Kate, now in her mid-30s, escapes her unhappy life in Washington, DC and takes a much-needed vacation, the last thing she expects is to be reunited with Reed. Now, under the warm clear Caribbean sun, amid ancient churches and pink flamingos, Kate and Reed seek to revive the love that they thought was gone forever.

But will small-town secrets ruin their last chance for happiness? Woven into the modern tale of Kate and Reed are the tales of those who came before them. Their mothers: teenagers in the chaotic 1960s, best friends who are in love with the same man – although only one of them knows it. Reed's grandmother: already a bitter old woman by the 1930s, she would do anything to carry on the family name…and would drive away anyone who came between her and her grandson. And even the founder of the town: in 1865, what guilty secret drove one man to bring his two daughters across the ocean from Ireland and settle in the dark Virginia hills?

At its heart, Homesong is the story of a small town: its lies and truths, its beginnings and endings. It's about proud secrets, unrestrained joy, and the old adage that you may leave your home, but it never really leaves you.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hi,

New here, but I am a traditional author and the lead character in my new cozy paranormal mystery series is a woman: Shannon Delaney. for more info:
www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

E E-C

message 36: by Mary H. (last edited Jan 11, 2009 08:49PM) (new)

Mary H. Collins (maryhcollins) | 3 comments Hello everyone! I'm also new to Good Reads. Thank you so much Lauren. I am a published author of contemporary women's fiction. My novel "City Lights" was published by Publish America in July 08. I also have 4 novels published by Hearts on Fire Books:
"Casino"
"My Sister's Keeper"
"Dreams Come True"
"Winter's at Naples Island"
All of my books can be purchased at Amazon.com or www.heartsonfire.com.
Please visit my website and read the previews www.maryco.webs.com Be sure to sign my guestbook
HAPPY READING!!!