Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Archives > Boston Area Meetup

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) I like Kim's idea! If you are in the Boston area and interested in doing a bookswap/get-together, please reply to this thread!We can even all bring a book from the list to swap.

Rebecca

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I'm in the Boston area as well! Let me know!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) Excellent, Kristen! Hopefully we'll get some more Boston-area folks.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 16 comments count me in as well!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) Well, that's three (thanks Danielle!). Let's wait a bit and see if we can get one other person...but if not, I'm happy to meet with just the three of us!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm in! I hadn't seen this before. What are we doing? Bringing a copy to share?

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments Is this still going to happen? I'm in the Boston area!

message 8: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 30, 2008 05:20AM) (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) Five! Whoo-hoo. That's perfect. Propose some dates, friends. Sunday afternoon? Do we want to do a coffee thing or a drink thing?

I'll start April 13, 3 or 4 pm. The question is where and I'm looking for suggestions since I relatively new to the area (and I live in the Somerville).

Possible places:
Algiers Coffee House (Harvard Sq)
Z Square Bar (Harvard Sq)--they have these large tables at the bar area

I'm thinking T accessible would be good/necessary. I know one of you is in Nashua, yes? So we'd have to pick a place with ample parking...hmm.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) bumping this thread up. I've PMed everyone who has responded thus far with a copy of my last post.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 16 comments i would definitely appreciate a place that offers parking. i'm actually in lowell (i think i'm the one registered in nashua as i've just come from there), but i'll be driving in. so someplace close to the T, but that has good parking and isn't crazy to drive to (downtown boston: insane to drive through). i prefer a saturday, as sundays seem to be constantly clogged.
i know that panera bread always seems to have space for sprawling and chatting. many tables.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) Ok. It looks like the 13th won't work for Danielle and possibly Kristen, so I suggest moving it all the way to May (simply so we can agree on a date and move on from there). Please propose an alternate date and/or time if you can't do:

Saturday May 3 or Saturday May 24th at 3pm.

Kristen suggested a Panera on Arsenal St. in Watertown. I have a couple concerns:

1. on the weekends, coffee places seem to be very packed. Can we reserve a table?

2. parking?

3.t-accessible? (as far as I can tell from my map, it isn't).

Danielle, which Panera do you know?

Like I said, I don't know a lot of places, especially not ones with parking, so I need someone to help me out here. Let's keep the conversation to this thread so I don't have to respond to everyone individually (thank you though, to those that did respond!!)

AND YES, BRING A BOOK OR TWO FROM THE LIST TO SWAP! :-)

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen I could possibly do the 24th, but it's the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Watertown is a bit trickier for me, but I can deal. I can't do the 3rd at all.

I think Panera's doable in the afternoon, but I wouldn't want to grab up too many tables during lunch or dinner.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 16 comments either day works for me. thanks for being so flexible. and if everyone can't come (myself included), that would be alright- if it's a success, it would be great to have more frequent meetings that people can plan around. so no worries.
i haven't been to any panera breads in that area, but the ones i have been to (in nashua and lowell) are fairly plentiful with sitting, so i would assume any panera would do (so long as it had parking). a coffee place seldom has many seats, but pehaps someone knows one... if we wanted, we could even meet at a dunkin' donuts which, sans comfort, usually has ample seating and tables you can drag together.
i really don't mind the drive to whichever area is decided on- again, my sole concern is parking. so if anyone has any suggestions... i can only speak for places up in lowell as this has been my haunting grounds lately. i don't think anyone would want to make the trek up here...

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Panera in Watertown has plenty of parking, and hey if we meet in May and it's nice they have a park-like area where we could sit outside!

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Arsenal St is bus accessible I believe, I think the 70 bus from Central Square goes around there. Or it's very easily located off of Storrow Dr and Soldiers Field Rd. I will have to see if I have any books to share!

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen One more annoying comment, where is this list?

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) I failed to consider Memorial Day weekend, sorry. That's a no go for me. Although it looks like three of us could do the 3rd of May, I'd like to see if we could all do Saturday, May 31st at Panera in Watertown...3pm? I'm hoping that with a date that far in advance we won't have any conflicts. (May 10th and 17th are definitely out for me). The other advantage of May 31st is that it will give us a chance to read a book or two more so we can bring 'em to swap.

Cheers! And thanks for your patience.

Rebecca

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebsbooks) Ladies (for now, no gents...):

So we do not take up any more space with our logistical planning, I've formed a group just for us Boston area folks:

Boston Area 1001 BTRBYD Readers

Hope to see you there!