Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Take a Look, Find a Book! > Your Latest Book Purchase!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,632) (2632 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2009 08:51AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I've seen a few members share in different threads some of their marvelous book finds, so I've decided to create one specifically for it.

Whether you shop for books like your credit card has no limit, or whether you count your pennies, pondering deeply which lovely books deserve a place in your bookshelf, this is the place for you.

Brag about your latest purchase or purge your guilt by confessing your slip...and don't forget to share your sources.

(Whatever way, you look at your bookbuying addiction, it doesn't matter, we want to know what you recently bought.)

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 11, 2009 10:10AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Was perhaps, I part of your inspiration Yz? :) hehe
Can't wait til next summer's annual library book sale.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...oh yes...you are definitely one...master book sale huntress...LOL

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I just recently moved (I think I mentioned that somewhere), and last Wednesday, during my day-off, I discovered a used bookstore about 5 minutes away from my new home.

Of course, I can't resist and I have to go in and browse. I don't buy books as much as I used to because I'm not in a permanent place yet, (the local library feeds my addiction at the moment), but I ended up buying 5 books (all 5 books in Anne Stuart's Ice series) for $18.

I also drop off some books at the local library branch (a new one for me), and stopped buy at the little area of books for sale. I ended up buying the first 4 books of Singh's Psy/Changeling series (and to think I was bidding this on eBay for almost $20), Nora Robert's Three Sisters Island trilogy, some Lisa Jackson books, and few more. All books were a $1 a piece.

Right now, they are all in the trunk of my car. Have to figure out how to bring it in the house without alerting hubby.... LOL...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Put them in a grocery bag like groceries, and put some feminine hygeine products on top in the bag. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I'm bad. I'm telling you how many I buy and how often.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...good idea...thinking of stuffing it in my gym bag.

However, once they are in the house, I can no longer put them in the bookshelves because those are already full. Might try hiding them under the bed or behind the closet...LOL...Darn, knew I should have resisted the temptation! As if..LOL!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Maybe you can get hubby to exercise his 'manly skills' and build you another bookcase. That way you kill two birds with one stone: get more room to fill with books and stroke hubby's ego. :)

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 25 comments Well, I recently bought some books from ebay. I got 6 more dragonlance books for $13 shipped, the war of souls trilogy and Dhamon trilogy. My boyfriend didn't really mind since he reads dragonlance too but usually he flips out when I buy more books because he knows that most of my books are still at my parents' place in Ohio because I didn't have room in my car to put them when I moved out to Vegas.

message 10: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (MelW) | 981 comments Whenever I'm at one of the two local malls nearest me I cannot help but wander into Borders to browse the shelves. Naturally I end up buying one or two - can't help myself!

Today I happened to be at one of those malls, and naturally my feet found their way to Borders. Walked out with five books from there. In my wanderings, I then discovered a new Borders Express store which I just couldn't resist, and yep, walked out of there with yet another five books!

I think my family is so used to seeing me with a Borders shopping bag these days that it just doesn't register in their brains anymore when I walk in the house - lol!

After my book buying spree I did head down to one of the furniture stores to check out bookcases and I think I've found some that will work. Just need to measure up :)

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 12, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Yz wrote: "LOL...oh yes...you are definitely one...master book sale huntress...LOL"

ooohhh Love that title!!! hehe
(edited my name on GRs now to add it) :)

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I've been so very good all year (had only bought one book since January - the library is my best friend!). I went to a book release party at Borderland Books in San Francisco, and couldn't resist. I of course had to buy the book that the release party was for - Rosemary and Rue. They also had a used copy of No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong, which is a book I loved and had been thinking of buying. And finally on the new release shelf was Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman, which is an author I had heard about recently.

Borderland Books is a great bookstore; I don't live in SF, but I travel there frequently for work. Definitely going to go back on my next visit in about a month! (Plus there's another used book store less than a block away!)

message 13: by Kasia (last edited Sep 13, 2009 03:02AM) (new)

Kasia Susan! :D

The book release party in SF sounds so gooood.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 303 comments These are the last two books I bought (received in the same shipment from Amazon with a CD.)

Mortal Seductions by Allyson James Must Love Hellhounds by Ilona Andrews

I'm excited to start Mortal Seductions but honestly it'll probably be a while before I read Must Love Hellhounds.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments I just joined a new library. Living on the outskirts of a city of more than two million people means that I have a dozen or so within a 40 minute drive. While there, they were unpacking donations for the romance rack to sell for $1 or even $0.50. I picked up:

Falling For April by Lisa Plumley
Salty A Novel by Mark Haskell Smith
Getting Over It by Anna Maxted
Match Game by Beverly Brandt
The Manolo Matrix by Julie Kenner
Chloe Does Yale by Natalie Krinsky
Coyote's Mate by Lora Leigh
A Rake's Guide To Pleasure by Victoria Dahl
Not Another Bad Date by Rachel Gibson
Got Your Number by Stephanie Bond
and a couple of Harlequin Blaze books

For a $10 donation (I told them to keep the change) I was pretty darn happy. They all go into the TO BE READ pile. That means I'll get to them some day. Any suggestions? Or just grab one at some point.

message 16: by Michelle (last edited Sep 24, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Mc) | 670 comments I was doing really well and had cut my book buying down but I was naughty this month. I had done a bit of on-line shopping for upcoming birthdays and christmas and I was rather sneaky and had 8 books amongst the parcels. I thought I had got away with it until Hubby said "I think you're books are breeding". OOPS! Lol, can't be that bad though he offered to stay with the kids so I could nip into Borders in peace the other day.

message 17: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 24, 2009 10:20AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I went to a thrift shop today. Goodwill's book prices are $1/paperbacks and $2/hardbacks. It's getting to the point that I'm careful what I pick up there. Instead today I went to another thrift shop in the basement of the local homeless shelter. Books there are usually 50 cents each. I asked the clerk since the board games weren't priced and she told me $1 each. I got:

-The Star Wars Trilogy (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and return of the jedi) paperback
- The Cat Who Came to Breakfast by Lilian Jackson Braun (paperback)
- The Cat Who Blew the Whistle by Lilian Jackson Braun (paperback)
- Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart (trade paperback)
- The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants #2) by Ann Brashares (trade paperback)
- Girls in Pants (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants #3) by Ann Brashares (hardback)
{note: I have the first book in the series in paperback}
- Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton (hardback)

- Trivial Pursuit Young Players Edition card set
- Pictionary
- Pictionary Junior

I was only charged $3.46 for all the above (games and books).

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 303 comments Shazzy wrote: "I went to my local Sainsburys to buy a few things and ended up buying Shiver, Catching Fire and Evermore. They had a "3 for the price of 2" offer and I ..."

Shiver was really good!

I just picked up Born of Night (A League Novel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon at work.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Mc) | 670 comments I bought two books today Storm Glass and GRACELING, 50p each from a CarBoot Sale!

message 20: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 | 588 comments I bought two new ones today.....and two yesterday (or was it three?)lol.

Today I bought Bobby and Jackie The Untold Story and Riding Wild. I had to have both of these for my Read The Month: October Challenge.

Yesterday I bought The Lady Elizabeth A Novel by Alison Weir, An Affair to Remember The Remarkable Love Story of Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy by Christopher P. Andersen, and The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2) by Joan Johnston.

Needless to say I spent too much.

message 21: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3014 comments I always spend toomuch and I'm addicted to my local hospital thrift store/used book sale which I hit every 2 weeks or so. usually come away with 40-50 paperback for $20-25. Today I got a new one An Echo in the Bone which is book 7 and I'm just finishing up book #5 so it will be a while until I get to this one but just had to have it. LOL

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 303 comments Just got back from work with:

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews [image error] Child of Fire by Harry Connolly Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward

Although who knows when I'll get to read them. : (

message 23: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (MelW) | 981 comments My kids have music lessons twice a week and I kill time in the Borders nearby. It is very rare that I walk out without having bought anything!!

Yesterday I walked out with:

How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, Book 1) by Nancy Martin Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters #2) by Suzanne Brockmann Texas! Lucky by Sandra Brown Texas! Chase by Sandra Brown Texas! Sage by Sandra Brown

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Oct 06, 2009 10:33AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I dropped by Goodwill today. I found a book for $1 from one of my favorite authors I didn't have: Love by Degree by Debbie Macomber. They also have some books bagged up cheap. I got two bags for $2 each. Each bag had ten books, which works out to 20 cents a book. I got:

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The Grand Finale by Janet Evanovich

Silhouette Desires:
Mistaken Mistress by Tessa Radley
Friday Night Mistress by Jan Colley

Harlequin Blaze: The Mighty Quinns: Callum by Kate Hoffman

Harlequin Presents:
The Italian's Ruthless Marriage Bargain by Kim Lawrence
The Billionaire's Blackmail Bargain by Margaret Mayo
Bound by the Marcolini Diamonds by Melaine Milburne
Argentinian Playboy, Unexpected Love-Child by Chantelle Shaw

Harlequin Romance:
Italian Groom, Princess Bride by Rebecca Winters
Expecing Miracle Twins by Barbara Hannay

Harlequin Intrigue:
Better than Bulletproof by Kay Thomas
More than a Man by Rebecca York
Familiar Showdown by Carline Burnes

Silhouette Special Edition: Claiming the Rancher's Heart by Cindy Kirk

Harlequin Superromance: Back to Luke by Kathryn Say

Harlequin American Romance: Doctor Daddy by Jacqueline Diamond

Steeple Hill Inspirational Romance:
A Dropped Stitches Wedding by Janet Tronstad
Healing the Boss's Heart by Valerie Hansen
Twice in a Lifetime by Marta Perry

message 25: by Joelle (last edited Oct 08, 2009 05:15PM) (new)

Joelle | 15 comments Too much.... all I can say is its over 10.. inclusive of all of Shannon's books. My husband is going to have a heart attack when he sees my new stash.....Yz I am only admitting to being amazon I addict!

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 303 comments Just picked up Jessa's book Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1) by Jessa Slade tonight at work.

message 27: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) Yz wrote: "LOL...good idea...thinking of stuffing it in my gym bag.

However, once they are in the house, I can no longer put them in the bookshelves because those are already full. Might try hiding them u..."

Do you have any shoe boxes? I use to put mine in the shoe boxes when I wanted to hide them.

message 28: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) I just bought Virgin River by Robyn Carr, He's No Prince Charming by LuAnn McLane, and That Holiday Feeling by Debbie Macomber.

Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr He's No Prince Charming by Luann McLane That Holiday Feeling (Includes Virgin River, #8) by Debbie Macomber

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 08, 2009 10:10PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ronica, I really like the Virgin River series. It's now on my MUST BUY list.

Yesterday I bought 3 books that are not series related so I would have something to read while waiting for "next books in a series."

[image error] by Suzanne Brockmann

Unhallowed Ground by Heather Graham by Heather Graham

Heartbreaker (Buchanan, #1) by Julie Garwood

message 30: by Ronica (last edited Oct 08, 2009 10:25PM) (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) I have wanted to read the Virgin River series for some time, believe it or not our Barnes and Noble does not carry them all. I got lucky and they had Virgin River tonight, I also picked up That Holiday Feeling because there is a Virgin River story featured in the book.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Ronica wrote: "...believe it or not our Barnes and Noble does not carry them all."

Doesn't that drive you crazy? I recently decided to read the Body Movers series by Stephanie Bond. They had some of them on the shelf, but they didn't even have the first book in the series available from the warehouse. Amazon was my friend on that one. Now I have 3-4 of them sitting upon Mt. Toberead. Or at least in the foothills leading up to the summit last created in the book sale orogeny. (for those of you who don't have a degree in geology and to save you the time of looking it up, an orogeny is a mountain building event along a defined zone. Because only a geologist, or someone recently out of a structural geology course, understands this, the t-shirt 'Geologists have bigger orogenous zones' never really did sell as well as anticipated.)

***I'll stop with the stream of consciousness posting now. Any attempts at humor before breakfast usually serve to amuse only me.

message 32: by Ronica (last edited Oct 09, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) Lol, I think your morning humor is funny. It makes me nuts that they only shelf a few titles at a time, some of the series was recently piblished they should have shelfed. I order from amazon every once and awhile. I can't wait that long to caress them and house in the fifth house of TBR.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ronica wrote: "I have wanted to read the Virgin River series for some time, believe it or not our Barnes and Noble does not carry them all. I got lucky and they had Virgin River tonight, I also picked up That Ho..."

Yeah, that bothers me, too. Now though, if you go into the store and they don't have a book they will order it for you, give you the online price AND free shipping. It comes UPS.

message 34: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) I have ordered from both Borders and BN, they get it in the store for me and I pick it up.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ronica wrote: "I have ordered from both Borders and BN, they get it in the store for me and I pick it up. "

If I pick it up in the store, they charge the store price and online price us usually cheaper. A book I recently got for my parents was going to be $6.00 more if they shipped it to the store.

message 36: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) I didn't know that.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This is B&N. They changed their policy a few months ago. It makes no sense to me since they give free shipping, too. But I'm not going to argue with them. LOL

Next time, be sure to ask if you're getting the online price or the store price and if they are charging the store price, ask for the online/free shipping prices.

message 38: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) I will thanks Moi.

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 09, 2009 12:05PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ronica wrote: "I will thanks Moi."

You're welcome. Always looking for ways to help fellow book addicts...errrr.... book lovers to save money!

message 40: by Ronica (new)

Ronica (Romancenut) Lol, I'm addicted/avid booklover.

message 41: by Joelle (new)

Joelle | 15 comments Shannon wrote: "Just picked up Jessa's book Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1) by Jessa Slade tonight at work."

I just picked this up as well...have you started reading? How is it?

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 303 comments Joelle wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Just picked up Jessa's book Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1) by Jessa Slade tonight at work."

I just picked this up as well...have you started reading? How is it? "

Nah, I haven't started it yet. I buy things and then it can take me a while to read them.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments I just had to post about my deal today. The FotPPL (Friends of the Pickerington Public Library) was in the last day of the semi-annual book sale. As such, they were really just looking to get rid of some books. Thus they came up with the 'bag sale'. Anything you could fit in a plastic bag was good to go for $3.

As it turns out, I can fit 42 Blaze and Desire (both Harlequin series) books into a plastic bag. I gave them $5 and told them to keep the change. I still feel like I made out like a bandit. 42 books for $5.00 is a heck of a deal.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Photojim, that is amazing! Will you read them, then sell them on eBay? Those books fetch a few dollars each.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments I don't eBay. I'll throw them on my swap shelf when I'm done. Some, I'll give away as I finish them. What I have left, I'll donate to the FotPPL to sell at the next book sale.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've seen some threads where people have exchanged home addresses and share books. Is that what you mean by "swap shelf"?

I made my first purchase from bookdepository.com and was very pleased.
I got both Dark Slayer (Carpathians, #20) by Christine Feehan and Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter, #19) by Sherrilyn Kenyon for about $12 each, hardcover, and free shipping. No where near the bargain you got, but I refused to pay full price for new release hardcovers.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments yep. I mean that I put books on my 'swap shelf'. If someone wants one, they can suggest a trade and I'll mail it. I've gotten a few books that way. Kenjii formed another group called The sizzlers erotica swappers http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2... and I've gotten a few there too.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks for the link. I'll check into it.

message 49: by Julianna (last edited Nov 08, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1540 comments Photojim wrote: "I just had to post about my deal today. The FotPPL (Friends of the Pickerington Public Library) was in the last day of the semi-annual book sale. As such, they were really just looking to get rid..."

OMG, Photojim, I just realized that you're from Picktown. I was born and grew up "nextdoor" in Lancaster. What a small world!

Apparently, 'tis the season for library sales. Mine was yesterday too. The last hour of the sale is always $1 per bag. It was fairly well picked over by the time I got there, but I still found 23 books, mostly category and older romances and a few kid's books all for a buck.:-)

message 50: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (magabygc) I just got:
- Gracelling, by Kristin Cashore
- Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte (was on sale!!! :D)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Must Love Hellhounds (other topics)
Mortal Seductions (other topics)
Coyote's Mate (other topics)
Falling for April (other topics)
Got Your Number (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jessa Slade (other topics)
Donna Kauffman (other topics)