Indian Readers discussion

Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
This topic is about Annihilation
Group Book Reads > November 2019 BOTM - Annihilation

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shoa, @TheCupboardUnderTheStairs (new)

Shoa Khan (shoathekhan) | 9862 comments Mod
The winner of the November BOTM poll is the gripping Sci-Fi:

ANNIHILATION

Blurb:

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the world for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; the second expedition ended in mass suicide, the third in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer. In Annihilation, the first volume of Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach Trilogy, we join the twelfth expedition.

The group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain, record all observations of their surroundings and of one another, and, above all, avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.

They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—but it’s the surprises that came across the border with them and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another that change everything.

So, grab your copy and join in!

message 2: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Em*bedded-in-books* | 45081 comments Mod
Have been pushing it down my tbr as dystopia is not my forte. Now that it has won the polls I will have to read it.

Arpit (arpitjoshi) | 929 comments Started reading it. Let's see what Area X has in store !

Arpit (arpitjoshi) | 929 comments Looks like I am the only one in Area X :(

Shampa Paul | 6 comments Arpit wrote: "Looks like I am the only one in Area X :("

I went on a tour in Area X with a friend (buddy reading) this year. It started with a roller coaster ride but ended up pretty badly (a reader's block is bad enough) for me :( well good luck for your journey :) also you can read my reviews of all the three books of the series. happy reading :)

message 6: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

not joining in this time. a busy month work and commitments wise. Have a nice discussion , those that are reading :)

Vineet (sarcasticanesthesiologistreads) | 14 comments finished.... Ummmmmm gripping, but then what??? what to make of this one, don't even wanna read the next ones to find out....

Vineet (sarcasticanesthesiologistreads) | 14 comments was this really a suggestion, or a vendetta by some group member....

message 9: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

I started it as got some free time in a train ride. at 22 percent not finding it much gripping . But as it is a short read shall try and finish it.
Above comments not giving me any encouragement though :/