The Book Vipers discussion

General Archive Folder > My Book of 2014 is

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Nov 08, 2014 03:41PM) (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Tell us about your favourite book of the year here.

I have been very reluctant to hand to 5 stars to books this year, but I did award a few, and those books were:

Gold
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Stargazing: Memoirs of a Young Lighthouse Keeper
Last Days of the Bus Club

What have your favourites been?

message 2: by Serf (new)

Serf | 100 comments I know i'm new to the group but my best reads this year have been
The Secret History
The Book ThiefThe Cowboy and the Cossack
The Things They CarriedThe Free
Unspoken
There are one or two more but these were my favs

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments This is a great thread to get book ideas. Thx

message 4: by Stalking (new)

Stalking Kafka | 69 comments I loved Life After Life and Anna Karenina - neither of which I would have ever read had I not joined this group!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
Anything I read by William Boyd, my author discovery of 2014 for definite.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption for sheer impact and the fact that it was a true story

The Goldfinch, just because.

The Last Runaway

and

my surprise hit, never saw it coming, The Cuckoo's Calling.

SO FAR!!!! The ultimate gem could yet come.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Brown | 13 comments iam reading all the light we cannot see by Anthony doer. it is very good.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments My fav book I read this year was Last Exit to Brooklyn it was pretty breath taking.

In second place for me The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared was surprised by how much I liked this one, especially as I only read it because of the cover.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Stand out books for me this year have been
The Man in the Wooden Hat

Last Friends

Cloud Atlas

The Goldfinch

Bitter Greens

The Signature of All Things

Burial Rites

All of them fantastic, in different ways. It's been a great year for reading!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've given out five stars to 11 of the books I've read this year, but of those my highlights were:

Haruki Murakami "Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage"

Stieg Larsson "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

Iain Banks "The Quarry"

Carlie Martece "Toxic Nursery"

Diane Setterfield "The Thirteenth Tale"

Neil Gaiman "The Ocean at the End of the Lane"

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm stealing a lot of these recommendations for my to read list!!

message 12: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1372 comments Brodecks report. I prob gave it 4 stars - because anything can be improved upon (lost my vocation writing teachers reports)

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
I would have to say I Capture the Castle. I gave it 4 stars at the time but I think I'll have to go back and change it to a 5. I've found that it's a book that for some reason, although I didn't think I'd registered it that deeply, I have caught myself thinking about a few times since. In fact I was watching an episode of 'homes by the sea' and saw a place that I actually felt I'd seen before and then realised it was because the house was just how I had pictured the home where the Mortmain's lived.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Nice one Catherine, that was one of the caboodle books I was trying to figure out.

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Looking at my ratings, I didn't give many five stars but theres a bit of a theme with the ones I did....
The Hunger Games trilogy
Allegiant (2nd of the Divergent trilogy)
The Bling Assassin
Oryx and Crake
so slightly depressing dystopian adventures seems to win the year for me!

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Charlotte, I like the sound of the Bling Assassin, never been one for too much ostentation myself!!

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments hehe, whoopsadaisy. The Blind Assassin!

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments I think I've got to have the Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Prilgrimage jump up the to-read ladder. Maybe it could be one of my best-2015. Thanks

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlotte - if you've enjoyed Divergent and Hunger Games, I recommend The Testing trilogy.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
I am possibly reading my book of 2014 right now.... Let's see how it goes. The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy. I had cried by around page 50 and I am reading a few more pages at every chance I get. Not done that for a while.

message 23: by Fiery (new)

Fiery Jack | 2 comments While the year isn't over, I'm going with Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. (Sorry, I have no idea how to link to a book. Ha!) What a great read.

Also, thanks for all the recommendations. I've added some to my list.

message 24: by Paul (new)

I have heard good things about Station Eleven, a new spin on the dystopian novel

message 25: by Fiery (new)

Fiery Jack | 2 comments It is! If you like dystopian novels, this is for you. If you don't like dystopian novels, this might be the one that changes that.

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Might give that one a go, sounds good.

message 27: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Charlotte wrote: "Charlotte - if you've enjoyed Divergent and Hunger Games, I recommend The Testing trilogy."

Thanks :D will have to check them out, and Station Eleven too. Want to get onto Maddaddam too.

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Beresford | 13 comments I read Station Eleven a couple of months ago: it's excellent.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments After listing a few above, I have just finished Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and think it has topped the others for my book of 2014. Just blew me away. Fantastic read, grotesque and meloncholic, the style he does best!

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) I can say I was lucky this year, since I really enjoyed most of the books I read. But trying to chose only a few, I would say:

Cold Mountain
The Help
Orphan Train
The Light in the Ruins
Reconstructing Amelia and
The Hunger Games trilogy

message 31: by Debbie (last edited Jan 04, 2015 01:23PM) (new)

message 32: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments I have only given three five stars this year and I think that they are all Vipers suggestions.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
The Shock of the Fall

I think "Shock of the fall" was my favourite.

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 585 comments I love this list, what a great way of catching up on what people have been reading and enjoying. Might pick up a few tips for this year's TBR list.

message 34: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Blind Assassin was a 4 for me, so certainly another highlight.

message 35: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Blind Assassin was a 4 for me, so certainly another highlight.

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Catherine I have added I Capture the Castle to my to read list, Thankyou,

message 37: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Have also added Station Eleven, thanks guys

message 38: by Paul (new)

Nikki wrote: "Have also added Station Eleven, thanks guys"

I have got that to read in the next week or two

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Oooh, I really hope you won't be disappointed Nikki. :D

message 40: by Trine (new)

Trine (majjalol) | 203 comments Fav books for me last year was:
The Son
Cinder and the rest of the series
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (and the rest of the series)
Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
Ready Player One
among some... Love to discover new books - and reading alot of different stuff;o (And I give most books I would love to re-read 5 stars;o)