Brent Hartinger Fans discussion

The Russel Middlebrook Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments I really enjoy reading this series of Brent Hartinger's books. After reading Geography Club (and watching the movie), I became increasingly interested in following the Russel Middlebrook character. I think many of us can relate to his experiences, and we all must have our own story to tell. I've read all the books in this series except, Double Feature (Attack of the Soul Sucking Brain Zombies & Bride..), which I am reading this weekend. I skipped to book 4, The Elephant of Surprise, because I wanted to see if Russel and Kevin get back together. I just wanted to share my thoughts on these books. I would be interested to hear other thoughts on this series. Thanks very much. Anthony

message 2: by Brent (new)

Brent Hartinger (brenthartinger) | 45 comments Mod
Anthony wrote: "I really enjoy reading this series of Brent Hartinger's books. After reading Geography Club (and watching the movie), I became increasingly interested in following the Russel Middlebrook characte..."
You skipped a big plot twist, Anthony! :-)

message 3: by Gervan (new)

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments A big plot twist is an understatement. I read it in the waiting room at the doctor's and had to take a moment.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Yeah you should really have read it before The Elephant Of Surprise. It makes reading the last even better!

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments I understand you, though I was dying to know if they'll ever get back together. Even though I loved Otto a LOT, my otp will Always been Russel/Kevin.

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments I'm about half way through the third novel and really enjoying it. My favorite line:
"I guess it's like what they say about alcoholics. If there's booze around, they'll drink it. Kevin was my alcohol."

Anthony

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Love that line but not my fav... My fav is Russel's reflection in the last book on how he couldn't breathe, but since Kevin's joined him at the gazebo everything felt back into place now, the earth gravitation, the air in lungs, everything back in full force.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments This part « Remember when Min had told me the truth about Kevin and I'd said the planet had been sucked into a black hole, and gravity and air had all disappeared? It was all back now, stronger than ever. The earth had never felt so solid. I stepped forward and kissed him, breathing him in—he still smelled like leather from a baseball mitt and dollar soap. I didn't care who saw us: I'd kiss him in the shopping mall if I could. »

That part's so touching and perfect for me.

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello Cynthia,

I agree this part is the most special and perfect of all. Russel and Kevin reunite at the gazebo at the end of the 4th book. They stayed up all night talking and holding each other. Their story really comes full circle here. This makes me want to see these 2 characters together even more. (In the book and in the movie). Follow their journey, and see what the future holds. It's rare to find a love like this in real life.

Thanks,
Anthony

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments I'm like you Anthony and I totally agree, few people find that kind of love in life.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments I'm reading 'The Thing I Didn't Know I Didn't Know' and loving it!

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Cool but please do not spoil

message 13: by Brent (new)

Brian wrote: "I'm reading 'The Thing I Didn't Know I Didn't Know' and loving it!"Thanks, Brian. ;-)

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Cynthia: It turns out Bruce Willis was dead the whole time and only Russel could see him.

message 15: by Brent (new)

Brian wrote: "Cynthia: It turns out Bruce Willis was dead the whole time and only Russel could see him."

So you still don't know that Min is Keyser Soze?

message 16: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello All,

Only 23 days left until the next installment of the Russel Middlebrook series. I'm excited. I can't wait. I'm still hoping and praying that there is another movie or TV series in the future. The movie had such a great cast! I would love to see that continue as well.

Thanks,
Anthony

message 17: by Brent (new)

Anthony wrote: "Hello All,

Only 23 days left until the next installment of the Russel Middlebrook series. I'm excited. I can't wait. I'm still hoping and praying that there is another movie or TV series in the fu..."

Thanks, Anthony! I confess, I'm getting nervous, the closer we get to the release date. I never know exactly how a book will be received. But I'm really proud of this one, so I'm excited too, to finally get it into people's hands.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm confident it will be just as great, if not better, as the earlier books!!

message 19: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments I agree Michael!!

message 20: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Only 11 more days until the next installment of the Russel Middlebrook series. I'm eager to find out what's next for Russel. Kevin comes back into his life. Are they destined to be together?

message 21: by Brent (new)

Today we're doing casting for a music video based on the book. Wish me luck! (It's always strange to see different actors audition to be "Russel".)

We're filming the music video next week, and it should be out the week after that.

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Cool that's great news Brent can't wait to see the music video.

message 23: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Here's my review of THE THING I DIDN'T KNOW I DIDN'T KNOW (here be spoilers): http://foreveryoungadult.com/2014/12/...

message 24: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments That's great news Brent! I love this promotion for the novel and movie. More to come in the future. More Geography Club baby!!

message 25: by Brent (new)

Ha! Your reviews are wonderfully trippy, Brian. Thanks!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Brent wrote: "Today we're doing casting for a music video based on the book. Wish me luck! (It's always strange to see different actors audition to be "Russel".)

We're filming the music video next week, and it ..."

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!

message 27: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Good luck with the casting Brent! There is no doubt in my mind that the video is going to be awesome!

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen | 1 comments Wow, that's really exciting. Good luck!

message 29: by Brent (new)

I have no idea how it'll turn out, but the shooting today looked amazing. I hired a very talented team!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

That's Awesome!!

message 31: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments This monday, the waiting will finally be over. Russel Middlebrook's journey continues, in Brent Hartinger's new novel.✏️

message 32: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments And what will you say then: FINALLY!!!!!

message 33: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Anthony wrote: "This monday, the waiting will finally be over. Russel Middlebrook's journey continues, in Brent Hartinger's new novel.✏️"

I''m not quite sure what you mean Cynthia??

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments That the book is finally here to read and the waiting's over is what I meant!!!!

message 35: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Thanks for explaining. I haven't had morning coffee yet. !!:)

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 22 comments Haha yeah you should definitely have it then. Morning ☕️ is the most important one in a day.

message 37: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments It's 1 AM. I just downloaded "The Thing I didn't know I didn't know" to my Ibook app. Started reading. I can't put it down. But, I should be sleeping since I have to be up at 4 AM to go to work. I decided to keep reading.

message 38: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments 2015 is going to be special.

message 39: by Brent (new)

Ah, Anthony, get to bed! I don't want to be responsible for your not getting enough sleep. :-/

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL now THAT is dedication! A true fan!!

message 41: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Finally had a chance to read, "The Thing I Didn't Know, I Didn't Know." It is so thoroughly enjoyable. Looking forward to the next installment. Now onto "Grand & Humble".

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

That book was great! Can't wait for the next one. You're gonna love "Grand & Humble"!

message 43: by Brent (new)

Glad you liked it, Anthony! (Whew! That's a relief. Seriously, I'm tickled that most of the people who've read it so far seem to like it. I think it's the best thing I've ever written, but -- full disclosure -- I always think that about a new book.)

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I certainly did -- spent it with family and friends. Now my partner Michael and another couple have rented a cabin on the water, and we're going away for the weekend. Should be great!

message 44: by Ondřej (last edited Dec 27, 2014 01:48AM) (new)

Ondřej | 2 comments I also just finished The Thing. I must say I didn't like it as much as I liked previous Russel Middlebrook books, maybe due to a little bit lengthy chapter about the Bigfoot trip or maybe because I personally haven't been in such bad mental state the Russel is through the book.

However, at least I've learned about PrEP (It looks like this term haven't been imported to Europe yet) and had some fun counting the number of Russel's on-line hook-ups :) I also liked that Russel's work as a lifeguard, which makes a nice connection to the Project Sweet Life :)

I'm also looking forward to the next book in the series and I'm glad it is already planned :)

message 45: by Brent (new)

Thanks, Ondrej! ;-)

message 46: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Mione (jasonpixar) | 45 comments Hello All,

A couple of comments. My favorite part of "The Thing I Didn't Know..." has to be the last chapter of the book. It was definitely the ending I'd hoped for. I read the last few pages over a number of times. That's how much I loved it.

I finished reading Grand & Humble. Excellent story. Thank you Michael for the suggestion. Now I can't decide which of Brent's books is my favorite.
Next up, Project Sweet Life. Thanks, Anthony

message 47: by Brent (new)

Thanks, Anthony. I did enjoy writing that last chapter (I wrote it twice -- the first time, you didn't "see" their reunion). But my favorite scenes in the book to write were all the "Vernie" scenes. Originally, she was an elderly Indian American man. But once she morphed into Vernie, and I started to understand the character, I really enjoyed finding out what she was all about, and what she could give to Russel.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

No problem, I knew you'd love it!! The ending was the best part but I really wanna know what happens next.

I don't know what my favorite part in "The Thing I didn't know..." was...probably all of it. I was telling Brent that I've never been to Seattle but now I definitely wanna travel there after reading this book.

No Wait!!...I do know what my favorite part is (spoiler alert!!) The date with Felicks where Russel sees the gun under the coffee table. That was so completely random I had to laugh. I think it was the shock value...I mean who the hell keeps a gun under the coffee table? lol

@ Brent: Vernie is a really cool character

message 49: by Gervan (new)

Gervan (gjalvi) | 14 comments Vernie was definitely my favorite character. I hope I get to meet my own Vernie :D

message 50: by Brent (new)

Ha. True, @Michael. I rewrote that scene about four times until that thing with the gun occurred to me. For a while, Felicks was a drug addict, but that seemed way too cliche.

« previous 1