Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > YA/ Children's books set in Africa?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm re-reading Zulu Dog at the time of this post. It's pretty good. What are your favorite juvenile books that take place in Africa (or the Middle East)?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6447 comments Mod
A Bone From a Dry Sea and The Kin, both by Peter Dickinson, are good for prehistory. Of course there's Nancy Farmer's thriller The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm which is more modern.

Great idea for a topic - I definitely need more recommendations!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :)

message 4: by Carolien (last edited Nov 09, 2014 07:44AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) A friend asked for recommendations earlier this year. Here's my list:

Non-fiction:
Jock of the Bushveld - this is a true story, but I first read it when I was about 8 or 9. There's an animated movie based on some of the story.

Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. (This is a version adapted for children)

Picture books:
I love Alex Latimer's art. Try Lion vs Rabbit

Younger children:
Goal!
Dogtective William and the Pirates
The Herd Boy (lots of other books as well)
Anna Hibiscus (series)

Young adult
Sharp Edges
Spud (4 book series)
Deadlands (trilogy)

You can also visit http://www.africanstorybook.org/ for public domain readers.

message 5: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments I had compiled a list for picture books a while ago: Picture Books on Africa. Any further suggestions are welcome, so if you're aware of more titles please add them to that list.

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean Pendziwol Bimwili and the Zimwi - my kids loved this one (sigh, so long ago...) It is set in Zanzibar

For young adult readers, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier It is a harsh real read, but my teens boys were very much impacted by it.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Listening for Lions is partly set in Africa. I really loved the book.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6447 comments Mod
This list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... includes some relevant books. They're based on this award: http://www.janeaddamspeace.org/jacba/...

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison Raevyn wrote: "I'm re-reading Zulu Dog at the time of this post. It's pretty good. What are your favorite juvenile books that take place in Africa (or the Middle East)?"

Alexander McCall Smith wrote a wonderful series of children's books set in Africa a few years ago. The series is called Akimba. Titles are Akimba and the Lion, Akimba and the Snake, well you get the idea. They are middle grade books and very well done. The books never really took off but I thought they were wonderful.

message 11: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments A co-worker just recommended A Girl Called Problem

message 12: by Manybooks (last edited Nov 16, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

Manybooks | 7711 comments Mod
Lacey and the African Grandmothers, while not set in Africa (it is about a young Native American girl), the project with which she becomes involved is African (helping African grandmothers who are struggling to raise grandchildren orphaned due to the AIDS epidemic).

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Anna Hibiscus and its follow up books are all set in Africa.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments Alexander McCall Smith has some children's mysteries about Precious Ramotswe as a child in Botswana. I think the first is The Great Cake Mystery: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case There are three.