The Godfather (The Godfather, #1) The Godfather question

Worth the Time?
Sarah Sarah Nov 08, 2014 10:28AM
So I just came into possession of this book, and was certain I was going to read it soon, until I saw it was well over 400 pages. It's not that I haven't read long books before, but I don't want to start reading it and have wasted my time once I don't like it. Is the pacing quick enough to make this easily read in a short time?

Sure, it's good and a fast read, too.

Then read The Family Corleone. Brilliant!!!! Back ground on Sonny.

It's a good read, you wont't be wasting your time. Haven't watch the movie tho. Recently finished reading The Sicilians, another good ones! :D

Just about the most compelling book I have ever read. I read it years ago while serving in the Ohio National Guard. Could not put it down!!!

Definitely worth the time! Although I do agree with Leseratte that the movies are far superior. You might also want to consider The Sicilian.

Again this is another book that is much better than the film. This is the only book that I have taken the time to read more than once.

Loved the book! Yet I read it about a year after first seeing the movie, which I believe enriched my experience.
As others have said, the back-story of the characters and the depth of Puzo's world is amazing, things that are only hinted at the movie.
Totally recommend this, so I'm glad you're enjoying it

I really enjoyed this book, although I don't like the film. Mine is a double book, cant' remember what the other one is though

If you can ignore the unneccessary graphic penis descriptions and even more unneccessary chapters on a particular character's gynaecology, there is a great novel here.

It may not be your kind of story but it's absolutely worth the time. It's always worth the time to read a good novel from a talented author who knows the world that he created inside out.

The book follows the movie closely, so if you've seen it you've read it ... almost

I found it to be well paced, and certainly worth time spent with the characters, *particularly* if you've enjoyed the film.

Jordan (last edited Apr 13, 2015 10:37AM ) Apr 13, 2015 10:37AM   0 votes
It's like one of the greatest books ever written

Nah - unless you like all "The Mob" folklore. NMS. I've tried to read about 3 or 4 times in 30 yrs and never got past about page 100 I don't think.

I would say "yes, it's worth your time" but remember this is not a classic but a pulp fiction novel :)

I enjoyed The Godfather a lot, I would say it's in my top 20.
Like Leseratte, it took less than a week to read, it was interesting and contained different subject matter than books I was read at that time. I think it added much needed details that lacked in the film.
In my opinion, the book was better than the film.
However, The Sicilian (the sequel) was terrible.

If you try it, I hope you enjoy it.
Happy reading!

Oh trust me, it's worth it. Puzo writing style is art itself, the characters can become engrossing to the reader, and it's an amazing book.

At least try it - it doesn't hurt. If it's not your thing, you can always stop reading.

Read the book in 2 days. It's fast moving so don't let the total of pages scare you.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Yay!
Nov 13, 2014 09:14AM
U 25x33
Raj definitely
Dec 29, 2014 03:28AM