Language Good Learns [LGL] discussion

Writing Skills > Discussion: Reading Rituals

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ahmad (last edited Nov 08, 2014 09:22AM) (new)

Ahmad Wagieh (wagieh) | 29 comments Mod

Tell us about your Reading Rituals .. and your favorite field and favorite Books..
and what do you decide to read this month?

message 2: by نورهان (new)

نورهان البدوي (nourhanelbadawy) | 6 comments Actually, most of my readings is about Novels ' cause it's related to my studying at the faculty but I've stated reading essays about history , I hope to keep going.
I don't have any reading ritual, I can read in any place and any time even the bus school and public transportation If there's a traffic jam.
This month or ,more specific this semester, I read " Macbeth " of course in English . I have many difficulties in understanding the old E. but it's ok. Beside Macbeth I read an Arabic stories 'cause I don't have much time.

message 3: by Ahmad (new)

Nourhan wrote: "Actually, most of my readings is about Novels ' cause it's related to my studying at the faculty but I've stated reading essays about history , I hope to keep going.
I don't have any reading ritual..."

I tried to read for Shakespeare, but every time I stop on the very first page, Old English is very hard , I roughly read modern one :D

SO .
do you think it's useful to have a Ritual time for reading?
for instance, reading everyday before going to sleep?

message 4: by نورهان (new)

نورهان البدوي (nourhanelbadawy) | 6 comments yeah It's very useful 'cause information is saved in your mind and be restored when you sleep . It's your inner mind. I don't know more about this topic but it's my opinion.
For Shakespeare I think it's a tragedy to read it . I don't understand sentences without dictionary and it's too harsh to use it to look for every word.
It's very hard to read it but it's a loss if you don't read only one play for Shakespeare. I think we should write them again in modern English to let people read for him.

message 5: by Ahmad (new)

Nourhan wrote: "yeah It's very useful 'cause information is saved in your mind and be restored when you sleep . It's your inner mind. I don't know more about this topic but it's my opinion.
For Shakespeare I think..."

Great Idea!
are you sure that no one till now attempt to rewrite it in Modern' Language?

BTW, you said it's a loss if we don't read at least on play for him?
Do you mean in English? or reading in Arabic too?
cause I hear before that the original language of Shakespeare is incomparable !!

message 6: by نورهان (new)

نورهان البدوي (nourhanelbadawy) | 6 comments In my study I have a book that has a paper written in the original copy and the opposite of it has it's paraphrase. The copy I found in Google is old one.

It's a loss if you don't read it in English 'cause if you read it in Arabic you will not get benefits and also most of translation Arabize the text of the play and damage the meaning.

message 7: by Ahmad (new)

Nourhan wrote: "In my study I have a book that has a paper written in the original copy and the opposite of it has it's paraphrase. The copy I found in Google is old one.

It's a loss if you don't read it in Engl..."

That what I thought also, thanks for your obvious answer :)

message 8: by Shymaa (new)

Shymaa El-deep | 2 comments I love to read in every fields.. it's sound like interesting to know about everything like psychology, history,science fiction, classic ,romantic, comedy novels
but i have a problem to read in English, each time i have decided to read in English ,
felt that is boring,take time to understand, and would like to finished it by downloading the Arabic version or keep the novel without trying like dream psychology (sigmunnd freud) :(
i think it will be more interesting to read in original language.. i will keep trying

message 9: by Ahmad (last edited Nov 16, 2014 12:58PM) (new)

Shymaa wrote: "I love to read in every fields.. it's sound like interesting to know about everything like psychology, history,science fiction, classic ,romantic, comedy novels
but i have a problem to read in Engl..."

Reading in English is not boring at all but it seems exhausting in the beginning .. So take this notes carefully and you'll enjoy it in god welling ..

- Don't Start by Hard books or science ... Read easy novels or young adult or teenagers books.. even if you start with children books .. or comics .. it's better..
- Read For FUN.....
Don't Start by Hard books... Read easy novels or young adult or teenagers books.. even if you start with children books .. or Comics .. it's better..
- Read suitable books for your level..
- Don't use dictionaries or try to understand every single word.. Just try to guessing the meaning as a whole.. unless you can't understand the whole paragraph and can't catch the general meaning.
- Read English Novels or Books that you already read it's Arabic version before.

Now let's be more practical ...
1- Know your Reading level.
by doing this test..
http://cdextras.cambridge.org/Readers...

2- Download your Level Books from here.
http://english-e-books.net/levels/

3- Enjoy... :)

=======================
Other sources for books by Levels ..
Search for Penguin Readers Books .. in any library near to you or buy them..
penguinreaders.com

Good Luck :)

message 10: by Shymaa (new)

Shymaa El-deep | 2 comments thanks for advice.. i think it's effective.