Leaving Time Leaving Time discussion

Question about Jenna's Grandmother

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live in Boone? If her mother lived in Boone, wouldn't she have said to Thomas when she met him, "You have an elephant sanctuary in Boone, NH? My mother lived there!" We know Jenna's grandmother died in 1999/2000, and she was living in Boone when she died. I think Alice moved to the sanctuary in Boone sometimes in 2000. Did she move her mother to Boone because she was sick? If so, why was it never mentioned? Am I just missing something here, or is this really a major logical error with the book?

Bobby Karmakar SPOILERS DON'T READ UNLESS YOU FINISHED THE BOOK.

Rachel wrote: "SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live in Boone? If her mother lived in Boone, wouldn't she have said to..."

SPOILERS DON'T READ UNLESS YOU FINISHED THE BOOK.

I don't know if her grandmother lived in Boone or not. I finished it on Thursday night/ Friday early morning and later in the day, I realized that her grandmother is dead. So now we know Jenna is a ghost, it could be what she's experiencing, if that makes any sense. I read Larger Than Life, the prequel novella, and I forgot Alice's mother died. So when Serenity visits the house Jenna gave the address to, it's not because she gave false information but it shows that Jenna used to live there. Not her grandmother necessarily however. Hope that helps!

Rachel I would agree that it could just be what Jenna is experiencing, except that the woman at that address said that an old lady lived there, and died there, before they bought the house in 2000. I still feel like Picoult was strongly implying that it was Jenna's grandmother's house. I suppose another old lady could have died there, and Jenna and her grandmother's ghosts moved in, but that seems to go against the logic of the book. Thank you for offering your thoughts, you may be right!

Sandra Elaine Rachel wrote: "SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live in Boone? If her mother lived in Boone, wouldn't she have said to..."

This whole book had more questions than answers and is such a rip off of the sixth sense.The ghost of Jenna would go back to her last memory place with her grandmother is what I'm thinking but your question is a good one. Who Knows....

Rachel It was totally a Sixth Sense rip off! I was loving the book, I kept coming home and talking about elephants (I also really liked the characters of Jenna, Alice, Serenity and Virgil) but when I got to the end I said, "I'm sad. I finished my elephant book and it had a Sixth Sense ending." Boo! Let's declare a moratorium on books ending with "and they were dead the whole time!!!!!"

The Lotus Readers I love Jodi Picoult's books and although I enjoyed the elephant sections and some of the characters, I also felt there were a lot of questions. This is a particularly good one. I also didn't understand how Virgil could share in Serenity's supernatural visit to Nevvie where water comes pouring through the ceiling (explained as Jess's spirit because she drowned by filling her pockets with stones and wading into a river a la Virginia Woolf). I guess I could come up with explanations for all the questions in hindsight but when they make me stop in the flow of a book I start to get cross.

Cisco Rachel wrote: "I would agree that it could just be what Jenna is experiencing, except that the woman at that address said that an old lady lived there, and died there, before they bought the house in 2000. I sti..."

I will add that Serenity when back to the house, and she asked the woman that came to the door about an old lady living there before they bought the house. Serenity also asked the little boy (son of the current owner of the home) if he can see anyone in the house. The little boy answered that he sees an old woman and a young girl. That means that the little boy can see Jenna and her grandmother.

Bobby Karmakar Cisco wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I would agree that it could just be what Jenna is experiencing, except that the woman at that address said that an old lady lived there, and died there, before they bought the house ..."

Yes I remember Serenity going back to the house. It's interesting to see Jenna however grown up since, you know, the ending. Yeah, I'll leave it there :)
What I feel more stupid about however is that I read both short story prequels the day they came out. I can't believe I forgot about Jenna's grandmother in Larger Than Life! UGH! If you haven't read any of the short stories I don't want to spoil. I loved them both. But obviously this thread is about Jenna's grandmother and Alice does reveal her mother past away (it's also shown in Larger Than Life. I don't think it's a spoiler since it's obvious the novella is Alice while Where There's Smoke was Serenity, and it's a prequel too). Hope that made sense!

Dena Bobby wrote: "SPOILERS DON'T READ UNLESS YOU FINISHED THE BOOK.

Rachel wrote: "SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live ..."

@ Bobby, Thanks, I had no idea about a prequel. Now I will get that one. I loved the book and only thought about it for 2 seconds and just moved on... for me, this was a "page turner" (I cheated, I listened to audio version).
Bobby wrote: "SPOILERS DON'T READ UNLESS YOU FINISHED THE BOOK.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live ..."

Maryann Russell Rachel wrote: "SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

I wondered about the grandmother too. If Alice was from Africa, why did grandmother live in Boone?

Abbystone Biscuit1 Seems to me, if this author had a MUCH BETTER EDITOR, she would be a better read.

Maryann Russell thanks for the info about Larger Than Life. I will find that and read it.

The Lotus Readers Thanks for the info on the prequels. I'd read 'where there's smoke' but not 'larger than life'. I do sometimes think that publisher forget some people still read books - you know the old fashioned type you can throw at a wall. It might have been a better novel with more editing and the info from the two prequels incorporated somehow. There shouldn't be the assumption that everyone has read them.

Maryann Russell Thanks. I will try to read both.Are they offered separately?

The Lotus Readers I think so, they may be Kindle 'singles' that's where I found 'Where There's Smoke'.

Maryann Russell Thanks. I will look

Bobby Karmakar Where There's Smoke and Larger Than Life are both short story prequels. Where There's Smoke is a free short story on Serenity while Larger Than Life is a longer novella from Alice's view. You can download them here :)
jodipicoultstory.com

Maryann Russell Thanks

Heather Don't you remember that she takes a leave from the Elephant study in Africa to go home? Because her mother had cancer and died? Then she comes back and changes her focus to grief.

Renee Everett So nevvie killed Jenna, right? Does that mean Alice killed nevvie? And how did Alice end up at the hospital? And why was Jenna's body never found?

message 21: by Bobby (last edited Aug 02, 2016 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bobby Karmakar MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD! Do not read until you have finished the book. Complicated and detailed events of the ending below!

Renee wrote: "So nevvie killed Jenna, right? Does that mean Alice killed nevvie? And how did Alice end up at the hospital? And why was Jenna's body never found?"

~~~
Yes, Nevvie killed Jenna as revenge on Alice for having an affair on Gideon. Nevvie is Gideon's son-in-law, and Gideon's wife, Nevvie's daughter, had PCOS. When Nevvie's daughter realized Gideon's affair with Alice, as well as the fact that she was pregnant with Gideon's child, she placed rocks in her nightgown and drowned herself. After Alice realizes Jenna's dead, she immediately gets into a physical fight with Nevvie as she is at the scene of the crime and kills her. The official statement is the elephant trampling, but Alice knows she is the one who murdered Nevvie. Alice was taken to the hospital as she was unconscious but once she woke up, she fled away so that she will not be framed for killing Nevvie. They never found Jenna's body because in my belief, during the elephant trampling, and after all the elephant information in the story, my theory is that the elephants buried Jenna. Thus why the original title was The Elephant Graveyard before it was changed to Leaving Time, and also the first reference to the first line of the book.

I hope this helps! Complicated ending but very theoretical and inevitably the most twisted. :)

Karen Moorhead I could not figure out the title so thanks for that note, although I read the book as an audio and can't go back to reread the first sentence.

Thanks for all of this thread; it really helps clear up the ends for me.

message 23: by Kristin (last edited Nov 11, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Kristin Cantor Spoiler I think the Grandmother died alread but tgey didnt want to give that away. I dont think the grandmother met jenna until after she passes away because I think the grandmotger died before she was even born. Im guessing her grandmother was sort of her spirit guide/gaurdian angel, tgere to look out for her. She wasnt the warmest perdon, im guessing she wasnt in real life eithet.
i>Rachel wrote: "SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not finished the book. Seriously.

Help me here- why does Jenna's maternal grandmother live in Boone? If her mother lived in Boone, wouldn't she have said to ..."

message 24: by LIRA (new)

LIRA Pevar I am left with a feeling of frustration. All the information about elephants was interesting however when the ending comes along nothing makes sense. Did Virgil kill himself, when and why? I wish I had known the contents of this book as I don't like supernatural topics. I would have skipped this one! Linda

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah LIRA wrote: "I am left with a feeling of frustration. All the information about elephants was interesting however when the ending comes along nothing makes sense. Did Virgil kill himself, when and why? I wish I..."

Yes, Virgil killed himself. He did it because he was depressed. He felt like he had failed Alice by not finding her.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah He killed himself after being promoted to detective. He drove off a cliff after his detectives ceremony.

Jenna Neil Ok, I have been so entwined with reading this book and I just finished it! Although, I am still a bit confused on a few things...why did Virgil kill himself. He said he tried to kill himself because he couldn't handle the fact that he just up and quite the case of the missing person (i.e. Alice) but in reality did he kill himself because he couldn't find 'Jenna'?! and how did Virgil 'talk' to the person at the farmers market? Please help me if you can! It's driving me nuts!

Did Thomas know what happened at all the night that the murders happened or no since he was so out of it and sick?

Mirkat I think the reason Virgil gives is his real reason. He just didn't realize that he'd (view spoiler)

message 29: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Simone So basically everyone in the story was a ghost except Alice, Thomas and Serenity. Did the other characters besides Jenna know they had died?

message 30: by Jean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jean The grandmother does not live in Boone necessarily. I've got the book open in front of me. All the woman who owns the house says is "The woman who lived here had D-I-E-D." She doesn't characterize the woman's age. Serenity also does not characterize the woman's age. Serenity had said she was looking for a 13 year old girl.

Has anybody else caught the juxtaposition of Alice's research on elephant emotions being ridiculed with Serenity's psychic powers being ridiculed? I just finished this book and read a lot of reviews of "that psychic stuff is BS but loved the parts about elephants."

There's a line toward the end "Ninety-eight percent of science is quantifiable. ... but you will never explain what makes an elephant leave a beloved tire behind on the grave of its best friend... That is the 2 percent of science that can't be measured or explained. And yet that does not mean it doesn't exist."

message 31: by Jean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jean MaryAnn wrote: "So basically everyone in the story was a ghost except Alice, Thomas and Serenity. Did the other characters besides Jenna know they had died?"

unclear, but they probably didn't know.

Chris Albers Who is the man with the short hair and blue flannel shirt?

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kirstie Chris Albers, she was talking about Virgil

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kirstie A lot of people are confused as to why Virgil killed himself so I'm going to attempt answering why.

Firstly, when Jenna looked for him, she first came across the answer that was Virgil had died. But when she looked again, desperately wanting to find that he wasn't actually dead but hiding(because who just ups and leaves such a huge promotion) she finds a "Victor" Stanhope and tries him hoping it's Virgil or his brother at least. So that was one thing giving away that Virgil was dead - we chose not to believe it along with Jenna because she wanted him alive to finish the case he started, for more answers.

Secondly, we're told by Virgil(when he's telling Serenity that he drove off a cliff) but he doesn't tell her what happened to him afterward. This is because he doesn't actually know he died.

And lastly, when Virgil looks back on his suicide attempt he says he sticks his arms outhat straight in the steering wheel so not to chicken out and thenot he remembers unclipping his seat belt, the steering wheel pin driving through his chest and also that he was flying ( probably out of the car or maybe his ghost?)

So yes... we're told that Virgil died.

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kirstie Another question was how did Jenna die..did Nevvie kill her? And the answer is also in the book. Jenna's point of view where she flashes back to that night :

Her hand comes over my mouth and pushes down. I try to get away, because I do not like this game. In her other hand she holds a big rock.

For a while I am asleep, I think. I dream my mother’s voice. All I can see are the trees leaning together, like they are trying to tell secrets, as Maura bursts through them.

And then I am somewhere else, outside, above, around, watching a picture of myself like when my mother puts on movies of me as a baby and I see myself on TV, even though I am still here. I am being carried, and there’s a bounce to it, and we go a long way. When Maura puts me down she rubs me with her back foot, and I think she would have been so good at hide-and-seek after all, because she is so gentle."

So in this extract we learn that Nevvie killed her using a rock and that Maura moved her body as she did with her own calf. That's why her body was found in the same place as where Maura buried her calf.

I hope that clears those two deaths up.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara Schiele Hi all I’m new to the board. I just finished the book and thought it was excellent but I found myself re reading ALOT of parts to refresh what happened in previous chapters. So anyone have any thoughts on how Jenna spoke with her father and how he smacked her across the room in during the visitation scene with her Virgil and Serenity? Being that she’s a spirit and he’s alive?

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Sara wrote: "Hi all I’m new to the board. I just finished the book and thought it was excellent but I found myself re reading ALOT of parts to refresh what happened in previous chapters. So anyone have any thou..."

Towards the end of the book Serenity says that children and the mentally ill can see spirits. That's why the little boy in Nashville can see Jenna climb into the truck.

message 38: by Faye (new)

Faye Heath What was the deal with the necklace? I don't remember anything other than Jenna and Serenity finding it and Jenna wearing it on the visit to her father. He reacted violently to the sight of it but I don't know why.