Manga & Anime Lovers discussion

163 views
Opinions/Compare > How do you feel about ecchi?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (last edited Dec 27, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments So, anyone who's been watching anime recently has probably seen the overflowing amounts of ecchi and fan service anime that have come out. A lot of stories will have random boob gropes and nude scenes thrown in throughout the season. What are your guys' thoughts on this?


message 2: by ★ Molly ☆ (new)

★ Molly ☆ (mollytatum) | 14 comments I don't really mind as long as the plots good. And, it's not JUST fan-service.


message 3: by CoolNameGuy (new)

CoolNameGuy (sycomantis91) | 10 comments Anime needs a Game of Thrones too


message 4: by ★ Molly ☆ (last edited Nov 08, 2014 08:54PM) (new)

★ Molly ☆ (mollytatum) | 14 comments I think a Game of Thrones Anime might ruin/throw off the actual Game of Thrones..


ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 230 comments i think anime need more of gray's bad habits


message 6: by ★ Molly ☆ (new)

★ Molly ☆ (mollytatum) | 14 comments Which Gray?


message 8: by CoolNameGuy (new)

CoolNameGuy (sycomantis91) | 10 comments Terrible puns or chronicnshirt removal? Cuz yes to both


message 9: by Hina (new)

Hina (one-piece-rules) | 27 comments Gray is AWESOME!
So coolio


message 10: by Brandon (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:40PM) (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ wrote: "fullbuster"

So...more random stripping for no reason? I can get down with that.




ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 230 comments lol. yup. the best part is that he doesn't realise he's doing it


message 12: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments So long as you don't mind it going both ways.


message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments I agree as long as the plot or story is good, I can pretty much ignore it. And yes, it does need to go both ways. :) Let's be equal here, something for the girls & guys.


message 14: by ★ Molly ☆ (new)

★ Molly ☆ (mollytatum) | 14 comments Yeah, both sides work. lol.


message 15: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Batobatan (yuriko18eunice) | 5 comments random stripping( with no reason) usually ruin the story, and my mood as well.


message 16: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 0 comments It's fine as a joke here and there, but it's not *my* thing when it's a primary plot device.


message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna  (scholarlyscorpio) I think it's sort of sexist. Let me explain before you people start trolling! Why do guys get more fanservice than girls? Echii wouldn't be a problem if there was more for girls or am I missing something in the anime community.


message 18: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments That's exactly why I said it needs to go both ways. Keep it equal, you know?


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I also think there should be around an equal amount of fanservice for both genders, however the reason why there isn't quite as much fanservice for girls (there is some) is that, from what I can tell by the conversations I had about this so far, there aren't quite as many girls who are, or admit to be, into that sort of stuff. And out of those who are, even the completely straight ones, many still find fanservice of female characters more attractive and/or tolerable than the male version.
So there just isn't quite as much demand, I suppose?

I've come across a lot of girls who enjoy "moe shit" or even some slight sexual content meant to arouse male viewers. Some just like it because of whatever. Some like it because they feel they can learn from it and enjoy that. Some like to watch that kind of stuff with their partner and enjoy watching him get nervous, to say the least, because of stuff like that. And many of those, but not all, despise the male versions of that, which are targeted towards girls. They find it annoying, uncomfortable, unattractive and often just too flamboyantly gay - and that doesn't mean those girls are homophobic in real life, they simply don't enjoy those kinds of characters.

And even those who don't enjoy blatant fanservice and ecchi, especially when it just doesn't fit the rest of the story and has little reason to be there at all (which usually bugs me too and can even turn me off completely from watching something), often still are able to at least tolerate and look past the kind that targets men than the stuff that targets them.


Personally, I don't really mind ecchi if it's appropriate and not too IN YOUR FACE about it. It annoys me when it seems like fanservice is the only thing a show/manga has going for it, or when it distracts too much from what it actually IS about.
A show will usually lose me right away if there's a pantyshot or overly jiggly boobs - that used up around half of the show's budget - every ten seconds or so; even if I find the characters attractive, which usually isn't even the case in shows like that.


message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna  (scholarlyscorpio) I love the stereotype where if a girl is hit by a feather half her clothes rip off.

All I am saying is we need more reverse harems.


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna wrote: "I love the stereotype where if a girl is hit by a feather half her clothes rip off. "

I dislike that too.

Though, to be fair, I might also be a little bit biased because that isn't really what I'm into anyway, in pure terms of what's attractive and visually pleasing to me and what isn't.


message 22: by ★ Molly ☆ (new)

★ Molly ☆ (mollytatum) | 14 comments I like some ecchi for some reason... I don't hate it. But NOT if it's too super overpowering. But, y'know each to there own!


message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments Ha ha, Anna the way you described that was hilarious.


message 24: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments Anna wrote: "I love the stereotype where if a girl is hit by a feather half her clothes rip off.

All I am saying is we need more reverse harems."


I get the feeling you're talking about Sekirei, or maybe Highschool DxD. XD


message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna  (scholarlyscorpio) I watched the first episode of High School DxD and when they had no censorship I was like what the fudge. Do they censor ecchi?


message 26: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments Sekirei does have some of the biggest boobies(I can say that, right?) ever. Lol.


message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna  (scholarlyscorpio) Ash wrote: "Sekirei does have some of the biggest boobies(I can say that, right?) ever. Lol."

If they don't censor boobies on ecchi, I am pretty sure you can say it on the Internet.


message 28: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments Good point, lol. Thanks Anna. :)


message 29: by Brandon (last edited Nov 15, 2014 01:11PM) (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments Anna wrote: "I watched the first episode of High School DxD and when they had no censorship I was like what the fudge. Do they censor ecchi?"

DxD has both censored and uncensored versions that you can buy. And these days, boobs aren't considered taboo. Just look at Game of Thrones.


message 30: by Ash (new)

Ash | 271 comments No doubt Brandon, I completely agree. But the ridiculously(sp) huge boobies of some of these female anime/manga characters is, well, in all actuality they wouldn't be able to fight the way many of them do w/50 lbs of boobs on their chest. I have always found the oversized boobies hilarious, in some ways it can even add to the personality of an anime or manga.


message 31: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments Ash wrote: "No doubt Brandon, I completely agree. But the ridiculously(sp) huge boobies of some of these female anime/manga characters is, well, in all actuality they wouldn't be able to fight the way many of ..."

That's anime boobs for you. They've been defying gravity since 2005, or somewhere around there. I think that's part of what attracts the male audience to them. You don't see women in real life with breasts like that unless they've had massive implants, and even then, it just looks wrong. Due to the artistry used in anime, an animator can draw a girl with large breasts and actually make her look appealing rather than disturbing.

Of course, this is mostly subjective. While I will freely admit that, in the right context and for the right story, I do enjoy ecchi, I'll also admit that ecchi and fan service have a time and place they should be used. There are some stories where all it does is bug the crap out of me, and there are others where I actually enjoy it.


message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Actually, Brandon, some anime boobs have been ridiculously huge and defying gravity for many decades. Just look at Naga from The Slayers!
Boing, boing.

In cases like The Slayers, it's a joke on Lina and I find it amusing. If jiggling boobs are thrown in there sometimes as a joke, it's amusing.

Mostly, for me, it depends on what I expect to get out of an anime that decides if it gets on my nerves or not. If I start watching a drama, expecting drama, and all I see are boobs flopping around the entire time, I'm gonna write it off.
But if I go in knowing that it's going to be completely perverted, like Goldenboy, then I'm fine because it's what I expect and if I'm taking the time to watch it, obviously I wanna see boobies.
In case like HSOTD, to me it was just meant to be a horrible joke. I labeled that anime, "Boobs and Zombies" from day one and that's pretty much all I expected to get out of that show.


message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) But as far as equality for women in ecchi, I don't expect it. I honestly don't think as many chicks watch that kind of anime overseas. The stuff geared towards chicks might have some nice shirtless scenes but I don't look for it/expect it.
Would I really want equality in a drama/comedy anime anyway? Would it really be sexier to go from a panty shot to a close-up of a bulge in some tighty whities?
Idk. I guess it would depend on the artist.
I wouldn't mind seeing D from the Vampire Hunter D novels in a bit less clothing. Yum.


message 34: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Varnell | 162 comments Marie wrote: "But as far as equality for women in ecchi, I don't expect it. I honestly don't think as many chicks watch that kind of anime overseas. The stuff geared towards chicks might have some nice shirtless..."

Haha! Well, I remember watching the anime Free, which is a swimming anime with a bunch of shirtless dudes in what amounts to really tight swim trunks, so I think there are some fan service anime out there oriented toward females. That being said, I do understand your point. I think most women who watch romance anime do so for the romance, not any type of ecchi fan service.

I think your way of looking at things is a rather good way of doing it. Most people will either automatically get turned off by ecchi or love beyond what's reasonable because it shows boobs. I think there's a time and place for ecchi, and if you go into a show expecting something serious and get boobs it becomes a turn off, but if you know the anime is supposed to be a comedy with massive fan service, then you can enjoy the anime for what it is rather than what it lacks.


message 35: by Lára (last edited Feb 20, 2015 02:02PM) (new)

Lára  | 184 comments I don´t like any kind of romance manga (still, almost everyone have it at some point) but ecchi ... If we´re talking about male-female, I do tend to avoid it, if I can. If we´re including yaoi and yuri here, I´ve nothing against it. :D

well, actually, I have nothing against it at all, but I do prefer a manga/anime with some meaning, and I just can´t see sex as a meaning of the story


message 36: by Lara (new)

Lara  (lara-hu) I think it really depends.
I'm no fan of it but I don't mind it in comedic series as long as it's not too much and the rest of the story is good.
I don't really like seeing ecchi in non comedic series though. I generally feel a little sad that this element seems to pop up in way more stories than it used to. Even ones for younger audiences get more and more sexual themes added. ;(


message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex D | 8 comments Hey I love it when it randomly happens because it makes me burst out laughing


message 38: by Maham (new)

Maham Muqri (magnamoon) | 15 comments I don't usually mind fan service/ ecchi but it really pisses me off when there's nothing but that. Character development and a good plot is a very important factor in any form of entertainment.


message 39: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 15 comments full disclosure, I read a lot of smut/hentai. With that out the way.

I hate ecchi for the sake of ecchi. If it's done as something to progress the plot, or it's cute. (e.g. girl is in love with a guy and she wants him to think she's mature and the wind blows up her skirt showing something with a bear on it or something moe like that) I'm ok with it, but then again. I'm not a fan of ecchi scenes with obviously underage characters. So I tend to be put off by the gratuitous use of H.S. kids in ecchi scenes. Then again, I'm not in H.S. so I'm not the target audience for something like that. But like, something like the ecchi scenes in slayer are funny because they are built into the characters if that makes any sense. Something I wasn't cool with. High School of the Dead. I hated how the teacher was fooling around with the kids and I thought the boob scene with the sniper rile was a bit over the top. I loved the story, but it was hard getting past that.


message 40: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Alexander | 4 comments Anna wrote: "I think it's sort of sexist. Let me explain before you people start trolling! Why do guys get more fanservice than girls? Echii wouldn't be a problem if there was more for girls or am I missing som..."

I actually agree. I do think there have been a few titles in recent memory that do try to rectify that, but I will admit it is more one sided. like there was an anime centered around an all boys swim team that I just can't remember the title to. I also appreciate that you're not calling for a ban on it, just that you want some for your tastes.


message 41: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 15 comments Free, the anime you're talking about is called Free..


message 42: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 15 comments Also, the biggest thing that a lot of people are not getting is that, 1. Anime is not made with westerner's in mind and 2. The anime/manga that is aimed towards women are out there and there's a LOT of it.

With the two above mentioned, I will not sit here and say that anime aimed towards the straight male gaze/or lesbian gaze is not the most prevalent, but to sit here and bemone the anime aimed at "women" is far from the truth. There is a TON of anime/manga aimed at "women." In fact, there's an entire genre called rotten girls. THAT is considered the "female" category and there's a TON of stuff written for it. Also, the other thing that people tend not to get is that as far as the men go, in Japan, feminine looking men are the equivalent of the macho men from the west. So you also need to take that into account as well. THOSE are things that sell like hot cakes in japan. And yes, I've been asking my wife (born and raised in Japan and actually asking people on 2ch for help with this question.)

So, if you're looking for the western equivalent of "female fanservice" you're not going to find a lot of it because it's not what the Japanese population wants. You need to look at what the women in Japan consider to be sexy and see if THAT market is big and then we can make a comparison. Because I'll tell you what. The Otomae seen in Japan last year (what's aimed at women) ended up grossing something like 90 million back in 2016. With that said, that's a drop in the bucket when compared to other main stream anime/manga...however, it's growing. So if you're looking for anime/manga with more fanservice towards "females" look into anime/manga that are based on Otome/BL elements and you'll find a lot more.....

Last time.....not saying that the genre is as mainstream as say One Piece. However, there are Otome elements in even main stream manga/anime. Gray Fullbuster from FairyTail.....
Gray Fillbuster

Or even this.

Some Dude

and yes, that's a guy....

However, to circle back....I feel that ecchi is prevalent in no matter what you watch. Be it regular TV or anime. It doesn't bother me at all. Let it be fanservice for men or women. That's why they put hot women in crazy dress in movies/shows and have people like Thor walking around shirtless. Or the dudes from 300. As long as the story is well written, I could care less.


message 43: by Danielle's Books (new)

Danielle's Books (daniellesbooks) | 18 comments For me it really depends


message 44: by WhoMadeMeAWeeb (new)

WhoMadeMeAWeeb | 2 comments I don't really enjoy fanservice to be honest. Ecchi is fine as long as the anime's plot is good, like Food Wars. But if people are just randomly stripping or their panties are showing for no reason I really hate it.


back to top