Science Fiction Book Club discussion

This group has 812 members

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) What counts as traditional?

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Heather wrote: "What counts as traditional?"

Good question! I consider traditional fantasy to be books more along the line of Tolkien, David Eddings, R.A Salvatore, Robert Jordan, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman .... of course then there is humorous fantasy and I love Terry Pratchett!

message 3: by Heather (last edited Nov 11, 2014 10:15AM) (new)

Heather (bruyere) Is this the same as "high fantasy?" I don't think I've read all that much of this type.

I've been dabbling in the vintage sci-fi and fantasy books and that sure can be strange (well the sci-fi ones are strange). I am making my way through The Chronicles of Amber and love them! I wasn't that into A Wizard of Earthsea. Good prose, but seemed like a target audience of young adult.

I didn't like the one WoT book I read. I read the original dark elf trilogy and loved it. I read Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch but nothing else by Pratchett. What do you recommend for more of his works?

message 4: by Christy (last edited Nov 11, 2014 11:51AM) (new)

Christy | 10 comments I love Good Omens! The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett are fun. He has a new series out that I haven't had a chance to ready yet - The Long Earth

The authors I mentioned above would probably be considered high fantasy. I love both fantasy and sci-fi, and the older books are good to read.

A trilogy I found interesting that I read a couple of years back is Robin Hobb The Liveship Traders Trilogy 3 Books Collection SetThought it had an interesting concept and is worth checking out.

Do you ever read any urban fantasy? An older author that I really enjoyed in that genre is Charles de Lint.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I didn't like Good Omens as much as I thought I would. The humor just felt forced to me, which is probably why I didn't pick up any more Pratchett. I watched the Color of Magic tv spots, which I believe is part of Discworld.

I actually have yet to read Robin Hobb, which is embarrassing. And I don't think I've really read any urban fantasy.

Thanks for the recommendations!

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Jonathan wrote: "Why aren't more people posting? Let's compare favourite scifi Fantasy books, tell each other about good sales, talk about the weather, anything!

Who likes traditional Fantasy? One of my favourite ..."

Wouldn't mind getting a group read going - anyone else interested?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Was there a specific book you were thinking of? I got kinda lost in everyone's posts. :)

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments I'm open to suggestions - lot's of good stuff out there :)

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Jonathan got the ball rolling initially - what say you Jonathan?

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Preferably something none of us have read already!

So what happened to the moderators for this group?

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Heather wrote: "Preferably something none of us have read already!

So what happened to the moderators for this group?"

Don't know, there appears to be only one moderator currently - Tobias.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Uhoh, it looks like the person who began this thread deleted...

I just started The Martian.

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Heather wrote: "Uhoh, it looks like the person who began this thread deleted...

I just started The Martian."

Heather wrote: "Uhoh, it looks like the person who began this thread deleted...

I think I'll join you :) This book has been on my To Read list but I had not gotten to it yet.

message 14: by Christy (new)

Christy | 10 comments Heather wrote: "Uhoh, it looks like the person who began this thread deleted...

Heather, I'm starting The Martianalso, and I am going to start a new discussion for a Group Read of the book in case anyone else wants to join in.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) Great, thanks!