Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode #305 - Reading the Real World

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I had no idea so many people were listening to the Serial podcast that it's #1 in the iTunes Store! I thought it was just geeky little me. I read about it in a Rolling Stone article a few weeks ago and checked it out. I immediately binged listened to 5 episodes that week and now can't wait until the next ones every Thursday. Great show.

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) | 45 comments Agree that Serial is fantastic! Was raving about it last night over dinner and recommend to all.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Just started listening to Serial last night on the way home from work. I am so glad I will have time over the next couple of weeks to listen. I watch way too much The First 48 on A &E , so I was completely hooked!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2763 comments Mod
I, too, listened to the first one last night. I'm hooked. I guess I'll forgo a little time with audiobooks to catch up on this one. Thanks to Ann and Michael for making us aware of it.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Slate has a recap podcast of Serial. They started at Episode 4 and it comes out soon after the Serial podcast. It's really interesting too. They have brought up things I didn't think about when I was listening to Serial.

And, if you are into crime shows, Criminal is another podcast that is really interesting. It's not continuous like Serial. Each episode focuses on 1 thing. The latest one was really heartbreaking.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 51 comments Thanks for the heads up on the Slate podcast. I got hooked on serial the first week, and it's difficult to wait for the new one to come out every week :-)

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita | 147 comments I've been binge listening too. I'll be caught up before Thursday this week which will mean I have to wait.

Thanks for the heads up on Criminal podcast. I love these types of shows.

message 8: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments I'm going to be a downer on SERIAL. First I have to admit I am a conservative so I usually don't go in for NPR. I do listen to RADIO LAB which is a wonderful program and I listen to ALL SONGS CONSIDERED because I like new music. I tried SERIAL but I lost interest a couple of minutes into the show. It didn't seem to have the quality NPR shows usually have. That's just me.

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 42 comments What I love about Serial is that it is taking the podcast medium and storytelling to a new level. I love that those boundaries are being pushed and that the content is so interesting and exciting. What I have found to be sort of hard to get used to is the disparity between the episodes, I find some of them to be so interesting and others to be... well, rather "filler-esque." But, I do love it and will continue to tune in every week. For fun, here is a funny parody of the show (I'm a firm believer that all good things must be parodied): http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinchiric...

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments According to this Paste.com article today, Serial is the most downloaded (in the shortest time I think) podcast ever in the iTunes Store. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles...

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Collins | 39 comments There is no new Serial episode this week because Thanksgiving (US Holiday). Withdrawal symptoms. abound.