A Very Dickens Christmas Read-Along discussion

The Christmas Stories > A Christmas Carol

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Filipe (new)

Filipe (filipeheath) Going to read it for booktubeathon :)

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) Don't know if you guys are a member of the Ford Audiobook Club Group here on goodreads, but they are giving away the audiobook version of this read by Tim Curry. Great way to read it.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (marathonsun) | 11 comments I'm also listening to the audio book while I read. Takes much longer but really enjoying it.

message 4: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (marathonsun) | 11 comments From the Goodreads quote of the day:

There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.

Charles Dickens

December 19, 1843: Charles Dickens self-published one of his most enduring works, A Christmas Carol, 171 years ago today. He wrote it in just six weeks.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily I listened to the audio book as well and loved it! I highly recommend listening to it, Tim Curry did a fantastic job.

Normally I don't like when the reader does different voices for different characters but this one didn't seem to bother me.

This was my first time reading any Dickens, it was really fun delving into the Dickens world. By far the best one.

Definitely gonna miss this. Thanks for starting the group Samantha!

Kailey (Luminous Libro) (luminouslibro) I enjoyed this story so much! There are so many little tidbits of wit in Dickens' writing that are left out of any movie adaptation. I liked how each chapter is named a "stave", like a stanza in music, since it is a "carol".
I was weirded out by the descriptions of each ghost, especially the Ghost of Christmas Past. The ghost keeps changing form to have only one arm, then five arms, then 20 legs, then no legs. This is weirdness that I can't handle, but I am impressed with Dickens' bold imagination.
The story has me in the Christmas spirit! Merry Christmas everyone, and many thanks to Samantha for hosting this read-a-long group!

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (listobsessed) | 5 comments I also listened to the audio version narrated by Tim Curry. I have owned and have been meaning to listen to this for years, but I'm glad to say it lived up to all my expectations for how perfect he would be for the role! Highly recommended.

In the thread for The Story of the Goblins Who Stole a Sexton I mentioned some things I wanted to say that we're spoilery for this one, so I will put them here instead. In the discussion for that one a few people mentioned being disappointed that Grub didn't stay and repair his relationships with his neighbours, but leaves to start a new and changed life elsewhere. In A Christmas Carol, however, we are given that closure. Scrooge 'mends his ways' where he is, making peace with his nephew and Bob Cratchit and his family... In a lot of respects it's almost as if The Story of the Goblins Who Stole a Sexton was a test run for A Christmas Carol.