Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > Free Kindle Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn  June Janson | 7 comments http://www.booksbutterfly.com/order/?...

Has anyone used this company?

Kindle has sent me emails to download free ebooks. After further investigation, I found this website.

Let me know what you think.

message 2: by Tommy (last edited Nov 23, 2014 04:19AM) (new)

Tommy Jason Charles (tommyjcharles) | 23 comments I'm over the whole Amazon Select thing. I am now firmly of the opinion that 90% of the people who download free ebooks from Amazon are serial downloaders. They love the feeling of getting something for free, and they read maybe 1% of what they download.

Meanwhile, Amazon sells more kindles and comes up with a growing number of schemes to do away with proper royalties. It's just not a good deal for the writers.

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments As an avid read, I buy books for my Kindle and get them free. I will pay up to $4.99 for ebooks, as a general rule. I have been known to pay more when I discovered an author ta I enjoyed after reading one of his/her free books.

As an author, I've found many readers by offering free ebooks from time to time. I know there are those out there who download free books just because thry're free. There will always be people who want something for nothing even if they aren't going to use it. Ususall, after running a free promo on one of my books, there will be an increase in sales, not only for that particular book, but for my others as well. I think giving them away from time to time is a way to keep your name out there.

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments Oh, one more thing. I will not pay to advertise a free ebook.

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments I gotta say Tommy, I'm a sucker for the free books and yeah you're right I don't really get to read as many as I like but when I do I do review them at as many places as I can in hopes that it will help the author make something back eventually down the line. I know the idea is to make money as an author but as a new author creating a strong fan base is important too. If I get hooked on the author's free book and really like them, I have looked them up again and purchased their titles afterward. As for ebooks, I don't like to pay a huge amount for them because there is so much of the middle man, printing, and stocking of the title being cut out, I don't think authors need to gouge their readers with high priced ebooks. As much as I like Stephen King and other best selling authors, I feel they charge way too much for their ebooks and I have seen some that are exactly the same price as a hard copy. So, of course I am going to go with the hard copy. Plus, some won't even allow it to be loaned out at that high price...that's just greedy and not worth it to me.

message 6: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments Steven wrote: "I gotta say Tommy, I'm a sucker for the free books and yeah you're right I don't really get to read as many as I like but when I do I do review them at as many places as I can in hopes that it will..."
I totally agree with everything you just said, Tommy. If I download a free ebook, I will try to write a review, but only if I can give at least a four star review. There is no way I would get a free one and then give a one star. If I can't give at least a four star review, I don't give any and the author never knows I read their book.

message 7: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments I meant, I agree with Steven. Sorry, got the names mixed up.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments I think that's the most polite way to go about it Peggy, and it makes sense to me :)