Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Parents' Corner > Good long YA series?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Carter | 3 comments Hey Everyone!

Every year for my mother's birthday I'd buy her the new House of Night novel (they conveniently came out around the same time), but those of you who read them know the last one came out this year.

What is another good YA series, that is fairly long, 5+ books in the series that parents will enjoy as well. Mum is in her forties. She prefers true life stuff these days, but she does love series like Twilight, Vampire Academy & House of Night.

It doesn't have to be vampires, those were just what I was reading at the time she picked them up.

If there is a shorter series you absolutely recommend let me know! The main thing is her enjoyment. But nothing mainstream like Divergent or the Hunger Games because I already have them for her to read :)

Thank you ! :)

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My children and I enjoyed together the Maximum Ride Five-Book Set by James Patterson. Although he is a main stream writer I don't think it's such a mainstream series.

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
It's a bit of a different type of writing, but Ellen Hopkins' books are true life and great reads. Crank is the first of a trilogy.

I also really enjoyed the Percy Jackson books, starting with The Lightning Thief, but you may have already done those.

The Flavia deLuce books are great fun murder mysteries, starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

The Graceling trilogy were very well written as what I would consider epic fantasies.

Enjoy!

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 3 comments Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series is six books long and completed. There's also a completed prequel trilogy (The Infernal Devices) and I know she's planning scads more in the same universe both pre and post TMI.