Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Dark Places
This topic is about Dark Places
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Flynn, Gillian - Dark Places; Relaxed Buddy Read- Starts December 1, 2014 Revisit starts July 8, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.

Book Synopsis:
Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

Who did massacre the Day family?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in. :)

message 5: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I'm in.

Damini | 63 comments I'm in too.
Thanks for creating the thread, mods. :)

Abbie | 2575 comments Can I sign up too!
I have read both Gone Girl and Sharp Objects and enjoyed them, I have been meaning to read this one.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Abbie wrote: "Can I sign up too!
I have read both Gone Girl and Sharp Objects and enjoyed them, I have been meaning to read this one."

Same here! I'll join in as well.

Kristin | 840 comments I'm starting this one early because it is due back to the library on the 3rd.

Kristin | 840 comments So there isn't any Chapter numbers. I'm on page 109 and I feel sorry for almost every character in this book. Gillian Flynn seems to make all her characters really depressing people. But yet I love her writing and keep reading. (view spoiler)

Abbie | 2575 comments I don't think I am going to get this one on time...
I am still # 21 in line at the Library.

message 12: by Agnès (new) - added it

Agnès (margali87) I'm in too :)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Question on Gillian Flynn's writing if anyone knows...I've read both Dark Places and Gone Girl recently.

(view spoiler)

Kristin | 840 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Question on Gillian Flynn's writing if anyone knows...I've read both Dark Places and Gone Girl recently"

I think all of her books do that. It's been a while since I've read Sharo Objects but I think it's the same way. I liked Sharp Objecs better than Gone Girl. I haven't finished Dak Places yet so I can't comment on that yet.

Kristin | 840 comments Up to page 286 (view spoiler)

Kristin | 840 comments Finished. I liked it but I liked Gone Girl and Sharp Objects better. (view spoiler)

Manpreet Kaur (novelacious) | 2 comments I've read Gone Girl and Dark Places both and have become a huge Gillian fan <3
You can check out the review here:

Gone Girl (with spoiler) - http://novelacious.wordpress.com/2014...

Dark Places (without spoiler) - http://novelacious.wordpress.com/2014...

Allison Ann | 1408 comments I very much hated Gone Girl after everyone and their dog told me I would love it. It was the characters I hated not the writing however, so I'd like to give Flynn another shot. I'm in for this BR if you'll have someone who may need to rant. :D

Andrea (deja05) | 732 comments I'm reading this one too right now. I liked Gone Girl more I think. I've gotten up to page 200.

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Allison Ann (last edited Dec 03, 2014 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Well I finished last night. I did like Dark Places better than Gone Girl but since I hated Gone Girl, that's faint praise indeed.

Once again, I found all the characters very unlikable. I have to wonder if the author hates people because she seems to try very hard to make everyone miserable. Even a random bartender has to be actively unpleasant. Oh, I forgot about Colleen the teenager hooker, I think she was my favourite, how sad is that.

I did like the storyline a bit better, in that I thought there was more of one. The back and forth timeline isn't my favourite style of writing, but it was fairly easy to follow and appropriate to the story she was telling. The book blurb made it sound like the Kill Club would play a much bigger part than they did and I was sorry we didn't learn more about them.

In conclusion, I don't want to live in a world where people leave piles of dog crap to petrify in their homes. No thank you. :D

Kristin | 840 comments I think the author writes miserable characters too. I wasn't invested in any of the characters but I wanted to see how it would end and if Ben actually committed the murders. I wish there was more interaction with Ben and Libby and even the Kill Club. I didn't seem like Libby really grew any in the book. She still seems to think she deserves stuff without having to really work for it.

Andrea (deja05) | 732 comments I finished the book today and I give it three stars. It had a good mystery but I didn't really connect with the characters.

(view spoiler)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Kristin wrote: " I didn't seem like Libby really grew any in the book. She still seems to think she deserves stuff without having to really work for it. "

I agree with you although I think the author was trying to show some growth with Libby, I just think she failed to develop as a real character, even a real person. Way too one-dimensional.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I would like to join. I just finished it! Wow!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Kristin wrote: "So there isn't any Chapter numbers. I'm on page 109 and I feel sorry for almost every character in this book. Gillian Flynn seems to make all her characters really depressing people. But yet I love..."
(view spoiler)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I don't think her characters might be miserable, but her stories are just so interesting. The plot lines are fascinating and the stories are so tightly written and they move along. I mean was Peggy completely unlikable? And you had to feel for Libby. She does a good job creating and presenting her characters.

Kristin | 840 comments Karrie wrote: "I don't think her characters might be miserable, but her stories are just so interesting. The plot lines are fascinating and the stories are so tightly written and they move along. I mean was Pegg..."

I felt for Libby but at the same time I didn't. Bad things happen to people and you have to grow as a person. To me it seemed like she just stayed trapped almost as a teenager. Her life had to be hard thinking her brother murdered her family but she was willing to sell stuff of those dead family members to make a couple hundred dollars. That's pretty desperate. And she didn't seem to want to do anything else but stay there. I think in ways she did grow and mature but it just wasn't enough for me. It seemed like the book only occurred for a few days (maybe a couple weeks) and I think the growth of Libby would take much longer than that to occur. I still enjoy her writing and the plot but it can be depressing.

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I personally liked Gone Girl and I expected to like this book as well but I'm just not. I got sidetracked with exams and have only been able to reach about 50% so far. Dark Places seems like a miserable read. The characters are weird and there's very little character development. Also, some unnecessary moments of gore that aren't related to the murders. I am not connecting to any character and everyone is twisted but there is no reason specified for this personality trait. The writing is easy and fast paced which makes it easy to read and the jumping timeline is actually getting on my nerves whereas I liked the parallel timelines in Gone Girl. I don't think I'll be liking this book as much as I expected.

message 29: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments I'm starting this book today if anyone would like to come chat with me about it!

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I'll discuss with you, Cait.

message 31: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments Awesome! I'll be back when I have some chapters under my belt :) Thank you!

message 32: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments So I'm only about 50 pages in but... man, I dislike Libby so incredibly much. I'm having a hard time caring about anything because all I can think about is how entitled and awful this woman is. I really can't stand her.

I've heard that that's a theme with Gillian Flynn's books? This is my first by her so I'm not really sure about that but...I don't know how I'm supposed to enjoy a story about people I hate so much :/

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I agree. Libby is not a likable character at all. In fact, I think maybe Gillian Flynn enjoys writing twisted, miserable characters. I have read Gone Girl just last month and it had the same character profile; unhappy, messed-up characters.

Gone Girl still packed in a punch with the twists and turns in the story but this one doesn't really have much to it. Libby especially inspires no feeling in me. I don't even hate her very much. I am just very indifferent towards her. She does show some improvement later on though.

message 34: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments Ugh!

I'm hoping once we get beyond this set up stage where we're just getting filled in on things it'll get better. I do enjoy murder mysteries so I'm HOPING there will at least be enough of that to pull me through it.

I haven't read Gone Girl but I saw the movie and yeah, I can see similarities in the whole...writing messed up characters thing.

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I agree Cait! I really struggled with this book and Gone Girl...I only finished because of challenges and think I would have quit if I didn't "have" to read them! I did enjoy Dark Places more, so hope you find that reason to hang in there and it works out....I'm just not sure I like these dark unhappy people she writes.

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Ooh, that's something I haven't heard a lot. Most of my friends liked Gone Girl and so did I. I didn't LOVE it but I enjoyed it better than Dark Places for some reason. With this book, I just don't feel like turning the page. Gahh!! I don't like twisted characters at all though. I am more into happy and hopeful characters but Flynn's books just don't have them. :(

message 37: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments Yup, same. I think it's great when authors try to write characters different than the cliche ones you usually see...but there's kind of a line between different and so unlikable that it's painful to sit through.

I'm really not enjoying the book very much. The writing style isn't really my bag on top of disliking Libby. But same as you, I "need" it for challenges so. Gonna keep slugging through it haha

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I think you're right about the writing style, Cait...the fact that both books I've read took me almost a week to read and usually it's more like 3 days...I think some of it was too wordy for me (I enjoy a bit more dialogue) so that was part of it. Trying hard to decide if I'm going to read Sharp Objects for the February BOM for one of my groups.

message 39: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S | 2825 comments I don't think I can finish this. I just got to where Libby goes to the Kill Club's meeting, and Lyle mentions the name of another victim and she's like HEY IM THE CENTER OF ATTENTION HERE WHO THE HELL IS THIS GIRL

Are you serious?? Like. Are. You. Serious.

I'm just... I think I give up lol

Kristin | 840 comments Dark Places is my least favorite of Flynn's books. Sharp Objects is my favorite. I found myself rooting for the main character in Sharp Objects compared to Libby where I didn't really care what happened to her.

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I am yet to read Sharp Objects but if it's better than this one, I am surely going to give it a try. I didn't really care about Libby either. She was just a really annoying character and there wasn't much else in the book either. I'll not be picking up Sharp Objects immediately though.

message 42: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Roberts | 36 comments Gillian Flynn's novels are very dark - that is part of the appeal for me. "Sharp Objects" was by far my favorite, then "Dark Places" - I didn't care for "Gone Girl" much at all.

They are not meant to be light reads. With the exception of "Gone Girl", I think the main characters represent a decent psychological profile of a sampling of the population. That's what makes them bleak and frightening - not necessarily the events themselves. With "Gone Girl", I just felt the main character put too much forethought and extreme planning into her act of revenge. Revenge is about passion and insanity, not extreme cold calculation. The level of revenge in "Gone Girl" just didn't suit the crime the husband committed. He was an ass, yes, but so are a lot of people.

I wish Gillian Flynn would hurry up and write another book. I like her, a lot. But not in a psychotic sort of way, lol. . .

message 43: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Roberts | 36 comments Also, yes, Libby is not extremely likeable but from what I've seen working with the public, her sense of entitlement is more appropriately suited to her than that exhibited by the average person who has learned to manipulate the system for benefits such as food stamps. There IS an extreme level of entitlement a large percentage of the population feels entitled to. Most of them have not experienced any trauma, let alone that approaching the level of Libby's. Granted, though, I think she should have received more emotional support. But again, that's the system.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments This was one of the books I got as a christmas present. I'm in the very early stages of it, but my initial impression of Libby is that she's self-centered - the very early comment about the other girl who lost her family stealing her thunder. My gut instinct is also telling me she needs to grow up more than she has... although perhaps that's understandable given what happened.
Like I said, I'm still only at the start of the book but that's my first thoughts...
I read Gone Girl in 2013 so it's been a while, but I have been curious about Dark Places & Sharp Objects.

message 45: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Can I join in as well? I just got this book from the library and I would love to read and discuss with you all.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments Of course you can join in Joi, no need to ask!

Kerry-Anne, I'm almost finished now. About 50 pages left so may get finished later tonight. I've also liked the chapters being split between Libby, Ben & Patty. It's a good way of showing what happened 24 years ago and getting different views. Sometimes I'm not so keen on different narrators but it's easy to know who's speaking in each chapter and works in this story.

message 47: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Thanks

message 48: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Thanks

Camilla | 1879 comments I'm joining in as well, about halfway through the book. I think I agree with many others in this thread in that I find both Libby and Ben quite unlikeable. I get it that Libby is traumatized, but I don't like her attitude of being forever entitled to getting money for her part in the murder event. And I don't yet understand why Ben keeps lying to Libby when she visits him.

Camilla | 1879 comments Forgot to add when writing previous message: I read Gone Girl last year and didn't like it at all. Then a GR friend recommended me Dark Places, saying that this would be much better. I think I have to conclude that I don't like the way Flynn portraits her characters. I know I should feel sorry for Libby, but I just can't, the way she is described in the book.

« previous 1 3