Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
This topic is about The Lost Hero
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Riordan, Rick - The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus #1) ; Informal Buddy Read: Starts November 11 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

Book Synopsis:
Jason has a problem.

He doesn't remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper. His best friend is a kid named Leo, and they're all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for "bad kids", as Leo puts it. What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea—except that everything seems very wrong.

Piper has a secret.
Her father, a famous actor, has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he's in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn't recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on?

Leo has a way with tools.
His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What's troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper's gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in, if I can get the library book. I am put on hold, but it should be for that long.

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments If you don't mind, I'd like to join in. I'll be listening to it on audiobook so I'll be a little slow (16 hours I think!)

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments I want to join is as well. I think they were aiming for this Tuesday.

Kristie | 3236 comments I've already read the first two in the series, but if you continue on I'll probably join you when you get to The Mark of Athena.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Yay!! Rebecca NJ I'll be listening to the audiobook too!

Is Tuesday November 11th good for everyone?

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments If not we can wait a little. I may start on Tuesday because it's a library check out but I can wait for the discussion

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments If not we can wait a little. I may start on Tuesday because it's a library check out but I can wait for the discussion

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Next week will be fine for me.

message 12: by Eni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eni | 2046 comments yay! sorry i didn't reply sooner on the other thread. I can start this one a little earlier, since the other book i'm reading, i kinda over read >_<

message 13: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments RebeccaS wrote: "If not we can wait a little. I may start on Tuesday because it's a library check out but I can wait for the discussion"

I can read this on Tuesday...I'm getting it Tuesday. Are we doing this formally or informally?

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I think it's an informal one? Unless anyone wants to write questions :)

Alright I'll load this one onto my iPod this weekend! Can't wait!

message 15: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments RebeccaS wrote: "I think it's an informal one? Unless anyone wants to write questions :)

Alright I'll load this one onto my iPod this weekend! Can't wait!"

Well first we need to decide how many chapters we're doing per day. I might do the questions, if someone else wants to do some as well.

message 16: by Eni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eni | 2046 comments do questions mean more points? =p

message 17: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments Eni wrote: "do questions mean more points? =p"

Yesssss. Which is why I want someone to agree to do questions with me. (I don't have time to write questions for the whole book.)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Are you sure? I think the questions only get more points when it is a BOM (book of the month).

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments RebeccaS wrote: "I think the questions only get more points when it is a BOM (book of the month)."

Yep. Points for questions are only in BOMs.
You can use questions here to help you with book chat.

message 20: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments Someone told me that if we make it a formal buddy read then it'll get points. But we have to have a schedule and stuff.

Check this link...the mods answered me.

message 21: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "RebeccaS wrote: "I think the questions only get more points when it is a BOM (book of the month)."

Yep. Points for questions are only in BOMs.
You can use questions here to help you with book chat."

oh, someone in this link https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... told me diff.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I just asked the question in the TT3 questions thread. I'll see what a mod has to say there.

message 23: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Nov 08, 2014 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Joi wrote: "oh, someone in this link https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... told me diff. "

If you mean this:
Moderators of NBRC wrote: "This has been set up as an "Informal" buddy read, but if you want to do Discussion Questions then just split the book into sections and ask for volunteers to write DQs for the days
It doesn't say you get points. It only says you can discuss book with questions even if we said it informal.
If you check rules, points for DQ are only mentioned in BOM part. BR has only one 'type' of points.

message 24: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments Okay cool, thanks Tea.!

message 25: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments It's not a big deal...I was just wondering if it was worth doing questions or not.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Joi wrote: "It's not a big deal...I was just wondering if it was worth doing questions or not."

Well, questions does make discussion 'more serious'. And help you all be more-less on the same part because there is schedule. With informal, everyone reads in their own speed, so one is on chapter 2 and other one is finishing book.

You can find here explanation of different types of BRs and use what you like the most.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Thanks Tea!

I am open to doing either way, scheduled or not. Whatever you all are more comfortable with!

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Thanks Tea!

I am open to doing either way, scheduled or not. Whatever you all are more comfortable with!

message 29: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments RebeccaS wrote: "Thanks Tea!

I am open to doing either way, scheduled or not. Whatever you all are more comfortable with!"

Well, if we're not getting any points for it ....it doesn't matter

Storm OH! OH! Sign me up for this one! I JUST finished Percy and the Olympians and planned to start this one next anyways. XD

Even if there's no points as a buddy read for this, we should get points based on how thick it is! if it's 553 pages long that puts it aaaat 50 Points for TT3, were a Buddy Read is only at 30, so 20 more points, plus added bonus of chatting about the book with others! :3

Kristie | 3236 comments I think there is some point confusion going on here. lol If you read this book and discuss as a buddy read, you get the book points (50) for pages and the buddy read points (30), as long as it is discussed with someone that is not on your TT team. The only points you can not get are the DQ points. Those are exclusively for BOMs.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Welcome Storm!

Yeah we get points for the BR on top of the page points. That's 80 points woohoo!

So we're gonna plan to start this one on Tuesday November 11th.

Storm Ooooh, I though the Buddy Read Points were all we got for buddy reads :o still, points for all! X3

message 34: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments When does this start?

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Tuesday November 11th

message 36: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments Thanks. I got my book today which is why I was wondering.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I'm starting this now! I'm very excited.

message 38: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments RebeccaS wrote: "I'm starting this now! I'm very excited."

How many pages ?

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I'm not sure how many pages I'll read today since I'm listening to the audiobook. I'm just starting chapter 3.

Jackie | 1908 comments I've read The Lost Hero but if you continue the series, I'd like to join in with the second book.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm still waiting for the library book. I hope it comes in soon.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Luckily it's a pretty long book. But if we finish before you get a chance to read, I'll definitely still discuss it with you!

message 43: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi | 663 comments I will be starting tonight while I'm at work.!

message 44: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 11, 2014 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Read through the end of Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Read through the end of Chapter 4

I agree RebeccaS. You are listening to this on audio - did you listen to the Percy Jackson series as well? I was a little concerned that there was a different narrator for this one because I thought that Jesse Bernstein did great voices. So far Joshua Swanson is doing a pretty good job narrating.

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Yep, I listened to that whole series on audio as well and really liked the author. I think the voices are pretty similar which is really nice.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments My favorite characters are Piper and I Clovis cracked me up! (view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Read through the end of Chapter 10

Ooh some things are revealed!!

(view spoiler)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Read through the end of Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments So I've just read through the end of chapter 31

So much action, just the way I love this series. (view spoiler)

« previous 1