Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

The Forum - Debate Religion > I am an atheist Who wrote the bible?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gibby (last edited Nov 07, 2014 02:13PM) (new)

Gibby Who wrote the bible and if god had Jesus as a son how come he cant have another

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments Who says there aren't a few more sons out there? And uncles and cousins?

message 3: by Gibby (new)

Gibby not the question

message 4: by Gibby (new)

Gibby that was more of a concern

message 5: by John (new)

John Hanscom | 276 comments Who wrote the Bible? That is not an issue for most and Jews . The Bible was written by many people over a span of 3000 years. What is an issue for all, including atheists, is Authority and inspiration.

message 6: by Gibby (new)

Gibby what

message 7: by John (new)

John Hanscom | 276 comments Gibby - For believers , we are all daughters and sons of God, by adoption .

message 8: by John (new)

John Hanscom | 276 comments Gibby, I do not understand your last post.

message 9: by John (new)

John Hanscom | 276 comments Christians and Jews - a word was dropped.

message 10: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Great questions Gibby. I should warn you - not everyone who answers here is a Bible believing Christian. Same as: not everyone who asks questions here is a Bible believing Christian
(kind of the same as: not all of Jesus 12 disciples were God loving, truth understanding, Holy men... Judas for instance.)

Gibby's question:
"Who wrote the bible and if god had Jesus as a son how come he cant have another "

About 40 people, who the Holy Spirit personally worked and spoke through. They had God's authority and assistance.
IF the Bible was written by one person I would chuck it in the garbage - it's easy to come up with a great story and tie up all the loose end by yourself... Now try and get 40 people, from different countries, and ages, and backgrounds, and languages, and across 2 religions "Judaism and Christianity" to write an amazingly cohesive book.
I say the beginning, middle and end match perfectly.
Just for fun: go compare the Bible to the Quran, book of Mormon, buddhist literature, Sikh writings, etc. You should easily see the difference.

message 11: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Gibby's 2nd question:
"... and if god had Jesus as a son how come he cant have another"

The Bible says God didn't just MAKE Jesus. EVerything was made for and through Jesus. There are NO other sons involved in any of our universe's existence.
God promised himself as a Savior and Messiah from the beginning of man's creation and fall. That was the plan from the very beginning.

It's all about Jesus being the King of kings, and the lamb slain for the sin of the world. There is nothing for another Son to do or accomplish - Jesus did it all.
On the Cross Jesus declared "IT IS FINISHED!" And it is.

God has always been a Trinity (He has never been alone) He doesn't go around making sons. That is one reason the God of Islam would most likely be insane: He's been all alone for all of existence - that would most likely make anyone NUTS.

The best advice I ever heard was: "Go find Jesus in every book of the Bible (all 66 separate sections of the Bible...Genesis, Exodus, Revelation) And then you should have a proper understanding of God, Jesus and mankind's purpose.

message 12: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) do you guys not realize they are obviously trolling.

message 13: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I do appreciate a passionate troll. And Gibby asked a fair question - It deserves a well researched theological answer.

I wish there were more atheists like Gibby.

message 14: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle It is something to consider Graeme.

I don't look to Jews and Muslims for theological truth.

message 15: by Rod (last edited Nov 09, 2014 08:59PM) (new)

Rod Horncastle It's pretty clear that Muslims DO NOT worship the God of Abraham. (but that's a month long conversation).

Are apologetics supposed to be effective in any certain way??? Was Jesus' preaching effective to those around him: How many followers were at the foot of the cross, or how many rose to his defense against the Jewish leaders and Roman politicians?
WE do apologetics because it's truthful and what God ordered - whether it's effective or not is up to God. Was Stephen's message and truth effective in the book of ACTS? NO, they killed him. But it was worth it.

message 16: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Great question by Graeme:
", Where did you get the idea of monotheism from, if you didn't look to the Jews?"

We DID look to the Jews at one time, God spoke to the world through the Jews at one time. Salvation came through the Jews (Hebrews, Israelites) at one time. And Jesus was wonderfully Jewish. God chose the Jews to be God's people and example to this planet...

But they failed, and continue to fail. They are still waiting around for a Messiah. (But Gladly not all of them are Jesus haters.)
All Truth came through the Old Testament and it's prophets. The Jews HAD the truth - and monotheism is part of that. But so was The Holy Spirit and the future Messiah Savior as revealed throughout early Jewish writings.

But, the Jews often had horrible theology: they didn't understand God or his Love. This is easy to see throughout their history - from the Golden Calf incident to the numerous errors and damnation of the King's of Israel.

The Good News:
If Revelations is correct (and it Is!) the World will soon look to the Jews again for proper monotheism and theology. As soon as Jews turn to Jesus as their lord and Savior.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments Graeme, there seems to be a multitude of different kinds of Christians. Rod's brand of Christianity is very antagonistic and vengeful. That's how he perceives Jesus.

I wouldn't share eternity with Rod's God if he begged me to.

message 18: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) trust me, Lee. You will not have to!

message 19: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Thanks Brent. Love ya Buddy! I'm excited about spending eternity with you and our God of the Bible.
I'll beg Lee about as much as Jesus begged Judas. (I could be wrong about this?!)

message 20: by Rod (last edited Nov 09, 2014 09:19PM) (new)

Rod Horncastle Graeme comment:
"Perhaps, like you say of the Jews, Muslims just don't understand the God of Abraham, although they worship him."

I really wish They did worship the same God Graeme - even if it was slightly confused or with a heart for the truth. That would be incredible.

But it is not. They despise and mock the God of the Bible and His son Jesus - the Lamb slain for the world's sin. (I have spent years chatting with and observing thousands of Muslims - They HATE the Jesus of the Bible that is our Lord and Savior. They HATE the Trinity, and they HATE God's sovereign justice and election. (they generally have a LOT of hate.)

The God of the Quran is very different than the God of the Bible. If you have the time I could probably come up with a 100 ways they disagree and offer totally different realities.
Here's a fun one:
The God of the Quran offers sexual houris for Men in eternal Paradise.
The God of the Bible offers Jesus and his eternal Kingdom and relationship. (no sexual houris for lusty men to get their FReAK On!)

The God of the Bible clearly understands love and justice and family.
The God of the Quran says a man can have 4 wives and love them equally. (Clearly Allah does NOT understand women.)

The God of the Bible explains sacrificial animal offerings for sin in Israel's history and how this Stopped in Christianities future.
The God of the Quran poorly mentions this with absolutely NO explanation for why, or an explanation for when to historically STOP sacrificing animals.

and my personal favorite:
The God of the Quran only bothers to mention ONE woman by name.
The God of the Bible mentions 100's (If not over a thousand?)and what a significant role they play in the history of humanity.

I could go on all day. I'm almost done reading the Quran for the second time.
Graeme I call false religions exactly what they are: I will insult their false deities if that is what is required to clearly present truth.

Many people use apologetics to make friends and share. I use apologetics to defend the Gospel truth against evil. Both are valid and necessary at times.

message 21: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) “Abraham is our father,” they answered.

“49 If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you wouldc do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”

“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God." John 8:39-42

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments That's a fascinating bit of scripture. One wonders for how many centuries the Jews misunderstood God. From the very beginning? All those nutty sacrifices, for example, when God kept insisting he did not want sacrifice.

How much do we misunderstand about God today by trusting every ancient Jewish opinion? Good Lord, they used to think God gave his blessing to genocide!!

message 23: by Debbie (last edited Nov 10, 2014 09:52AM) (new)

Debbie I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist has an episode coming up on how we are called to be salt and light rather than sugar and light.

Surely there must be effective way(s) of doing apologetics or Paul would not have said:

“Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God--even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many so that they may be saved.” (1 Corinthians 10:33)

message 24: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Ha! Ha! Debbie, I doubt if anyone "stumbles" today on account of Christian rhetoric. The secular world advanced by the likes of Lee holds sufficient stumbling blocks for the self-centered without our help.

message 25: by Joshua (last edited Nov 10, 2014 01:30PM) (new)

Joshua Woodward | 556 comments Haha. No, just a small section of the community.

All the belief systems of the world have morphed in many ways from what began with Abraham.

Society was very much into Animism and Shamanism. Abraham had an encounter with God who claimed to be the creator.

The whispers of Abraham's legacy can be seen in the bible, the Quran, the Vedic scriptures and a lot of tribal lore. However what is the truth?

Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God who set the record straight and proclaimed the way to find this "God of the sky" the world is always wondering about.

Interestingly he didn't write anything himself but allowed a variety of men to testify of His glory so that we would be encouraged that ordinary men can in fact find God.

Moses testified of Christ, some of the Jews get it, some don't.

That's my view.

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments Graeme, I think you fit in perfectly in this zoo haha!

message 27: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Woodward | 556 comments So the gospel for you Graeme.

God offered Israel relationship.

Israel wanted rules instead.

God promised to send Jesus and placed a trump card in the law of Moses. "Anyone who recognises they are wrong is not to be punished."

God taught the Israelites to sacrifice a lamb as a substitute to satisfy their barbaric need for "justice".

Jesus says I am the lamb. Hence the cross.

In Christ we are free.