Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

Fun Stuff > Your top ten Christies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments You're traveling down the Nile on the Karnac when the captain sends the signal: the boat is floundering off course, and you're headed toward a desert island. You only have time to grab a few items, so you bring your clever dog, Bob, a canister of Lapsang Souchong tea, some brain food for your little grey cells.....and then you discover that there's only room in your bag for TEN Agatha Christie novels.

So......which are your top ten favorite Christies, and, if you feel so inclined to state, why is each one on the list? (I need to think about it myself and will post my choices forthwith.) I hope the rest of you are game to share, whether you've only read ten or the entire canon over and over!

message 2: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 115 comments Great idea! I'm listing the books that I've read since joining Goodreads foremost. So with a look at my ratings on this site here goes nothing...

1) The Mystery of the Blue Train - 5/5 rating, tons of atmosphere, despite ridiculous methods of Poirot and a weak guilty party.

2) 4:50 from Paddington - fantastic mystery, I guessed the guilty character, 5/5 rating, but I don't remember Marple's role in it at all.

3) A Pocket Full of Rye - cruel murderer, 5 star rating, a puzzling puzzle, unfortunate victims that tug at one's heart.

4) Towards Zero - yet another one with a perfect score. Mr Treves was a brilliant character. One of those Christie books that I'm most likely to re read.

5) Sleeping Murder - very creepy and sadistic crime. I guessed rightly about the murderer. Stayed in memory more than others.

6) The Seven Dials Mystery - Another Superintendent Battle book. The twists were nicely crafted. The characters were vivid. Wish I remembered more of the book.

7) Murder on the Orient Express - no surprises here. fantastic book. I've never read it in English. One of the few original works of art on this earth.

8) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - another neccesity. Doesn't need any explanation. Not much re reading value, IMHO. But unique book nonetheless.

9) Nemesis - This book made me like Marple more than Poirot. Great book with a sad murder.

10) One, Two, Buckle My Shoe - I remember this book quite well. I wouldn't mind re reading it. Very intricate plot. Great villain in the end all things considered.

message 3: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (nothingpetty) | 21 comments My Ten Favorite Agatha Christie Novels (in no particular order)

Cards on the Table- The murderer discovered through Bridge scores. Fostered a temporary interest in Bridge, but was unable to find like-minded others. Also enjoyed the pitting of various deductive styles exhibited by the four detectives.

And Then There Were None- Everybody dies.

The Mysterious Affair At Styles- The first introduction to the fussy, but always right, Hercules Poirot-

Curtain- And the last of him.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd- The best surprise

Partners in Crime (short story collection) Tommy and Tuppence Beresford- each story written to parody the styles of then known mystery writers.

The Thirteen Problems- Everybody needs a little Miss Marple in the library.

Death Comes As The End- The setting is ancient Egypt.

Lord Edgware Dies- Just because

Murder in Three Acts- One of the main characters is an actor.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Thank you, Luffy and Raymond, for courageously starting us out. This turns out to be a VERY hard thing to do. But at least we can take comfort in knowing it's difficult because we love SO MANY of Christie's novels.

I have found my tastes have changed through the years. Even this new wave of reading with all of you has changed my opinions or lowered my esteem for certain books. For instance, I have always loved Toward Zero, but this time around it seemed a lesser book to me. And I LOVE Orient Express and Hercule Poirot's Christmas, but I have not put them on this list because they rely too much on interview after interview. So here is my (at least for 2014) ten best list, in order of chronology, not of favorite:

1) Death on the Nile: The cleverest and most emotionally satisfying use of the "double murderer" gimmick. I love all the varied characters on the Karnak, and the central triangle of Linnet, Simon and Jacqueline has real emotional heft. Even Poirot feels bad at the end of this one!

2) Murder is Easy - The murderer is the person you would least suspect, says the sixth victim! Sometimes you have to love a book just for the identity of the killer!

3) And Then There Were None - I think we can all agree that, if Christie had written only this one, she would deserve to be famous.

4) Five Little Pigs - This one has entered the list as I have gotten older. I didn't appreciate it as a teenager. Now I get a clearer sense of sadness that pervades people's memories. One of the best pieces of evidence against the accusation that Christie couldn't write deep characters. Plus, it's a very clever mystery.

5) The Hollow - I think I was surprised when we read this one how many people weren't fond of it! I love the strong and varied female characters, the ruminations on being an artist, and the motif of a family so loving that they would go to such lengths to protect one of their own!

6) A Murder is Announced - This is my favorite Miss Marple mystery and was one of the easiest choices for this list. I think it's the perfect small village mystery and one that ultimately makes you feel sorry for this horrible killer.

7) Mrs. McGinty's Dead - I waver back and forth on this one, but I have always found it's twists very clever, and I loved the idea that one (or more) of four infamous women may still be around to kill. It also features Mrs. Oliver in action (trying to write a play), and for those scenes (and the ones in the boarding house where Poirot stays), it may be one of the funniest Christie mysteries ever written.

8) After the Funeral - I love this one sentimentally and wholeheartedly. I love the murderer and this whole wacky family, especially the female characters. I think it was the last great Poirot mystery she wrote.

9) They Do It With Mirrors - I wrote out the list first and put down The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side. I've always liked that one because it's based on a true incident that happened to actress Gene Tierney. However, as I was writing about it, I realized that the second half isn't nearly as strong as the first, and I started pining for this book instead. Murder in a home for juvenile delinquents. I have to say that this is one of the few books that I guessed the solution to almost immediately. But that doesn't detract from my loving the characters and the poignant friendship between Jane Marple, Ruth Van Rydock and Carrie Louise Serracold.

10) A Caribbean Mystery - I love Major Palgrave and his glass eye. Christie could basically rub her clues in your face and you still might not see where she's going. That's what happened to me here.

I should've asked for the top twenty!!!!! :)

message 5: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 115 comments Our preferences differ, Brad. I read your list eagerly. Of the list, I think Death On The Nile would have been my 11th. I couldn't finish reading Mrs McGinty's Dead at the second time of asking. I look forward to more posts about your favorite author. I've been a lurker around here. Keep up the good "work".

message 6: by Mitali (new)

Mitali | 52 comments Well ... good thing that I have the ebook versions of all of Christie's books, so I don't have to choose - I can grab all of them at once. ;)

Just kidding! Here are 10 of the Christie's that I like the most, in no particular order:

1. And There were None - One of Christie's most brilliant mysteries.

2. Murder on the Orient Express - Another one that needs no explanation for being on the list.

3. Five Little Pigs - I love stories in which the characters have to relive the past (not literally in this case) to understand what really happened. Caroline Crale is a very memorable heroine as well.

4. Three Act Tragedy - Great twist in this one, with the (view spoiler)

5. Taken at the Flood - A beautiful portrait of the aftermath of World War II.

6. The Moving Finger - A simple but fun story - a quintessential Marple tale, set in a tiny village, with village gossip providing the motive for as well as explanation of the murder.

7. The Thirteen Problems - Though I've mentioned that short stories are not Christie's forte, this collection is the one exception to that general rule. I really like the framing structure, and most of the individual stories are good too.

8. The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side - I'm not entirely sure why I love this one so much - maybe it's the imagery of the 'Lady of Shallot look' on the actress's face that really appeals to my imagination. (I had no idea this was based on a real incident! Thanks for the information, Brad.)

9. Cat among the Pigeons - A weird choice, I know. But I'm a sucker for British school stories, and though this is far from Christie's usual forte, I enjoyed this story a lot.

10. Curtain - Poirot's last hurrah.

There are a lot more I could list: Murder in Mesopotamia, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The Hollow, Towards Zero, The ABC Murders, They Came to Baghdad, Crooked House, Appointment with Death, After the Funeral ... the list goes on and on.

message 7: by Kim N (last edited Nov 09, 2014 10:32AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) My tastes have changed over the years too. I've come to appreciate Agatha Christie's mysteries for more than the clever plotting and surprise endings, which is probably why some of her more famous books (And Then There Were None, Death on the Nile, and Murder on the Orient Express) didn't end up in the top 10 when I sat down to think about it.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Witness for the Prosecution - My favorite book and short story. I think these are two of the best examples of Christie’s cleverness and creativity.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - The book that introduces Poirot and Hastings, a pairing as memorable as Holmes and Watson.

Sad Cypress and Nemesis - My favorites of the "psychological" mysteries, one Poirot and one Miss Marple.

Cat Among the Pigeons - I like the classic girl’s school setting, the humor and student/teacher interactions. I love that Poirot (view spoiler).

4:50 from Paddington – Elspeth McGillicuddy and Lucy Eylesbarrow! No further explanation needed, I think.

A Murder is Announced – In my opinion, the best Miss Marple mystery and one of the best illustrations of her "small village" method. The clue is given right up front, but its obviousness is not clear until the very end.

The Secret Adversary and They Came to Baghdad - These are great romps and very entertaining. Tommy and Tuppence are at their best in their first book. And I can’t help loving that inventive and charming liar, Victoria Jones.

message 8: by Kim N (last edited Nov 08, 2014 10:47AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Brad, I obviously agree with you about A Murder is Announced.

Interestingly, both Murder is Easy and Mrs. McGinty's Dead are also favorites and almost made my list.

message 9: by Hasselhh (new)

Hasselhh | 17 comments 1. Sleeping murder
2. The moving finger
3. Towards zero
4. Nemesis
5. Why didn't they ask Evans
6. The secret adversary
7. The body in the library
8. Sad Cyprus
9. Peril at end house
10. The secret of the chimneys

message 10: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Okay, now I see the problem with starting this thread: I want to constantly add to, and/or change, my own list. I mean, Elinore Carlisle and Sad Cypress? Elspeth McGillicuddy and the choking fish bone? How can we not love them all??? And I LOVE Cat Among the Pigeons!!!!!! (I will take any suggestions for good mysteries set in a girl's school; the faculty and students are always so interesting!!)

Better I should have asked for your ten LEAST favorite! But that will come later......... :)

message 11: by Kim N (last edited Nov 09, 2014 09:29AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Luffy wrote: "9) Nemesis - This book made me like Marple more than Poirot. Great book with a sad murder."

I haven't met many people who agree with me about Nemesis, but I especially like Miss Marple in this book as well. She has a great capacity for understanding human nature and failings, combined with utter ruthlessness in pursuing justice. She's as Mr. Rafiel characterized her... "Nemesis" in a cloud of fluffy pink wool.

message 12: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Alas, Nemesis will never make my top ten list. But I totally agree with you, Luffy and Kim, that the best part of the book is it's portrayal of Miss Marple. And it brings up an interesting observation regarding how Christie's treatment of Marple diverged with that of Poirot.

It's no secret that Christie grew very tired of the Belgian. She depicted this perfectly in her creation of Mrs. Oliver's detested Finnish detective, Sven Hjerson. Still, Christie couldn't deny that Poirot was her bread and butter. Yet, as the years passed, Poirot would appear later and later in the book, or he would share the stage with Ariadne Oliver.

Miss Marple provided Christie with a forum to share her distaste for modernBritain, and the later novels have more of Jane than the earlier ones do. And g

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Sorry, my phone ran out of room...the final Marple books have the theme of old friendships (They Do It With Mirrors), changing values (The Mirror Crack'd) and lost love (Nemesis). So, while I don't hold the mystery aspect of Nemesis in high regard, I really enjoy spending the time with Miss Marple in her final case.

message 14: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 115 comments Thanks for the discussion guys. This thread in so interactive. Miss Marple's musings on death and wasted potential, the tragedy and fragility of life, the understanding hidden behind a certain primness, the solicitor's (forgot his name) brief insight into the youth of Marple, all make Nemesis special for me.

Is Marple a Mary Sue of Christie's? I wrote that in my review of Nemesis but now I don't know if it's true.

message 15: by Kim N (last edited Nov 09, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Luffy wrote: "Is Marple a Mary Sue of Christie's? I wrote that in my review of Nemesis but now I don't know if it's true."

I think only in the sense that she's always right about the murderer - think The Thirteen Problems. Does success alone determine a Mary Sue?

Miss Marple's brilliance as a detective is based on her shrewdness (refusal to take people and situations at face value) and her age, which gives her the advantage of having seen and studied lots of different types of people and also leads some to underestimate her. But in reality, she's an elderly spinster of reduced means who plays "Aunt Jane" to everyone but missed having a family of her own.

Brad wrote: "And it brings up an interesting observation regarding how Christie's treatment of Marple diverged with that of Poirot... Miss Marple provided Christie with a forum to share her distaste for modern Britain, and the later novels have more of Jane than the earlier ones do."

Brad, that's a great observation that I hadn't really thought about before.

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine This is a great question! I have not read all of her mysteries, but I have read many. When I read a mystery, I like to think to solve the mystery and Agatha Christie definitely makes me think. I also like a mystery to wet my appetite for more mysteries. Once again, Christie accomplishes that! I love her books and while I am not an authority on Agatha Christe, I know what I like. Here are my ten, which, like many of you, will change with time.

N or M (This is just plain Tommy & Tuppence fun! Who can forget Mrs. Blenkensop?)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Good subtle clue.)
The Body in the Library (Brilliant plot.)
Murder on the Orient Express (Another one to make one think. Poirot had his work cut out for him.)
The Mirror Crack'd (I solved it!)
The Blue Train Mystery (I solved it!!! I love it when I solve one of her mysteries.)
Three Blind Mice (Great plot, good characters - everyone looked guilty!
Witness for the Prosecution (Smart.)
Cat Among the Pigeons (Loved the school and the kids - great environment for Poirot.)
Tuesday Murder Club (Fun She really understands people!)

message 17: by Kim N (last edited Nov 09, 2014 11:10AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Katherine wrote: "The Body in the Library (Brilliant plot.)"

I couldn't agree more! What I love best is the opening of the book and Dolly Bantry. She's actually thrilled to have a dead body in her house and immediately sends for Miss Marple because she's "so good with murders".

message 18: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments If I could ask for Christie's funniest mysteries, the opening of The Body in the Library would definitely qualify it for that list!! (And it's a pretty amazing book, too!)

Christie could actually extremely humorous when she wanted to be, especially through characters like Dolly Bantry, Tuppence Beresford, and Ariadne Oliver. Whenever one of those three delightful ladies showed up, you were guaranteed to smile!

message 19: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 115 comments Katherine wrote: "This is a great question! I have not read all of her mysteries, but I have read many. ...I am not an authority on Agatha Christe, I know what I like. Here are my ten, which, like many of you, will change with time."

Well no one expects you or me to match Brad's level of immersion in Christie lore. There are books whose riddles I have solved, some of which I liked and others I found wanting despite solving them. E.g 4:50 from Paddington and Nemesis(those are on my top ten list), and The Body in the Library and A Murder Is Announced (at best 3 stars).

My list, contrary to yours and others, will hardly change because I neither will revisit even the stellar books, nor will I think deeply about the stories. I'm just content to have known Christie's work and taken much enjoyment from her groundbreaking and ultimate cozy mysteries.

message 20: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Oh, Luffy, you give me too much credit. I will never argue that Christie wrote great literature or that all (or even most) if her mysteries were perfect. Christie and other Golden Age writers do for me what they did for our predecessors through the two world wars: they challenged our wits, amused and entertained us, and, for a few hours, restored order and sanity to a troubled world. I've just embraced Christie's lore as a form of thanks and because it gives me such pleasure to chat with other aficionados about her work. Call me a Christie Geek, I guess!

message 21: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (nothingpetty) | 21 comments Brad wrote: "Thank you, Luffy and Raymond, for courageously starting us out. This turns out to be a VERY hard thing to do. But at least we can take comfort in knowing it's difficult because we love SO MANY of C..."

Murder On The Orient Express is the only Christie that ever disappointed me...I knew the solution half way in.

message 22: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (nothingpetty) | 21 comments Katherine wrote: "This is a great question! I have not read all of her mysteries, but I have read many. When I read a mystery, I like to think to solve the mystery and Agatha Christie definitely makes me think. I al..."

Re: Murder on The Blue Train comment: I hate when I figure it out before the finale. I love being surprised. I am always the clueless Hastings.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Endless Nights is absolutely wonderful!!!!! Agatha said it was one of her favorite books.
Love to hear comments on this book! Endless Night by Agatha Christie

message 24: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Murphy (huntermurphywriter) | 21 comments Luffy wrote: "Great idea! I'm listing the books that I've read since joining Goodreads foremost. So with a look at my ratings on this site here goes nothing...

1) The Mystery of the Blue Train - 5/5 rating, ton..."

Brilliant, Luffy and all. Such conscientious and thoughtful lists! I love these types of posts (and I'm bookmarking this page for my reading). Agatha C. and I have gotten tight during 2014. :) Well done. Happy New Year!

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Hunter wrote: "Luffy wrote: "Great idea! I'm listing the books that I've read since joining Goodreads foremost. So with a look at my ratings on this site here goes nothing...

1) The Mystery of the Blue Train - 5..."

Happy New Year to you as well, Hunter, and to everyone! You all give me so much pleasure with these AC chats! Here's to good reading, writing and all literary pleasures in 2015!

message 26: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Murphy (huntermurphywriter) | 21 comments Brad wrote: "Hunter wrote: "Luffy wrote: "Great idea! I'm listing the books that I've read since joining Goodreads foremost. So with a look at my ratings on this site here goes nothing...

1) The Mystery of the..."

Thanks, Brad! All best to you. (Btw, I read After the Funeral this year as part of World Book Night and it was so good that I started a Christie spree.) Great choices for your Top 10. I'll definitely read from them. Thanks for the comment. This is a really fun group. :) Happy New Year!

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Can I just name two that I adore ! Endless Night and Toward Zero . Endless Night by Agatha Christie

message 28: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (nothingpetty) | 21 comments Brad wrote: "Thank you, Luffy and Raymond, for courageously starting us out. This turns out to be a VERY hard thing to do. But at least we can take comfort in knowing it's difficult because we love SO MANY of C..."

Brad- I find it amusing that as popular as Hercule Poirot was, Agatha Christie is supposed to have disliked the character and only kept writing about him because of his fandom.

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise | 22 comments Okay, so in all truth I probably drown because it would take me too long to decide what books to bring. But if for some reason I had all the time I needed these would be my choices.
1. And Then There Were None: Everybody is dead, yet the last people known to die couldn't have done it.
2. Murder Is Easy: It's one of those books. So that's who the murderer is. There were so many clues how could I miss it?
3. A Murder Is Announced: Lots of murders in this one leading to the discovery of the tragic character at the end.
4. Why Didn't They Ask Evans: A simple question but the crew to the whole mystery. I like the couple in the story too.
5. A Caribbean Mystery: Major Palgrave talked too much. Love Miss Marple in this one. She seems like a "old pussy" but is incredibly sharp.
6. N or M: I love how Tommy and Tuppence seem to be "too old" but end up in the middle of it. Mrs. Blakensop!
7. Nemesis: A request from the grave which seems impossible. Miss Marple takes a trip and unravels the mystery.
8. The Secret Adversary: Young Tommy and Tuppence looking for adventure. I love how they get in and out of different scrapes. The ending is awesome.
9. Death on The Nile: The age old problem of how somebody who has no opportunity could have done the crime.
10. Sad Cypress: Elinor thinks about killing but has she really done it? I love how Christie makes such a good case against her. Dame Christie always has a twist though.

message 30: by Roy (new)

Roy Dimond Hope people don't mind me sharing my pre order but considering the subject I hope it is okay...

My new novel Silence and Circumstance is scheduled for release on March 23rd.

Before March 30th, if you want to pre order an autographed paperback version on sale, see this site...

http://store.untreedreads.com/index.p...

If you would like to pre order an electronic version (ebook) of Silence and Circumstance, it's available from Amazon, Apple's iBookstore and OmniLit using the following links:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00US...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/sile...

https://www.omnilit.com/product-silen...

If you know anyone who might be interested I would appreciate it if you could please share.

message 32: by Roy (new)

Roy Dimond I think The Mystery of the Blue Train is underestimated by many, good to see it made your list

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I basically like most of the train mysteries.

message 34: by Roy (new)

Roy Dimond I have seen the Orient Express and taken the blue train, I will someday ride the Express, it was stunning from the outside.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I am so jealous! I'd love to take it. A little O/T, but have you read The Great Railway Bazaar?

message 36: by Roy (new)

Roy Dimond Actually no... recommend it?

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It's a great nonfiction, travel book about a trip from London to Tokyo and back again.

message 38: by Roy (new)

Roy Dimond Tokyo you say, I must read it then. I had a wonderful time in Tokyo and all of japan a few years ago. Thanks for letting me know about it.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourites are:
1. Death in the Air. Because it's the first one I read at age 12 or 13, and it was so good I was hooked for life. It is an ingenious locked room (or plane!) story, has an appealing character in the young hairdresser from London, Jane Grey, and takes place in the 1930s.
2. The Man in the Brown Suit. Adventure, romance, mystery. Love the characters, especially Anne Beddingfeld, and the settings. Have reread many, many times.
3. Appointment with Death. Again, memorable characters--the Boynton family, Sarah King, Dr. Gerard--and settings--Jerusalem and Petra. Another one I've reread more times than I can count.
4. Sad Cypress. I love the character of Elinor Carlisle, who is accused of murder with poison. The case against her is virtually airtight, and the solution is ingenious.
5. Cat Among the Pigeons. I am a sucker for a boarding school story, and so to have an Agatha Christie take place in a boarding school is heaven. And the characters are wonderful, both the girls and the teachers.

message 40: by Alberto (last edited May 09, 2015 05:26AM) (new)

Alberto Who says top lists have to have ten entries?

My list of (in no particular order) of EIGHT Christie books I've rated 5/5:
* Curtain
* Murder of Roger Akroyd
* Murder on the Orient Express
* Peril at End House
* Cards on the Table
* After the Funeral
* Pale Horse (a controversial choice, I know)
* And Then There Were None

A Murder is Announced, Endless Night, Lord Edgware Dies, Taken at the Flood, and The Sittaford Mystery I would rate just below this list, 4.5 stars rather than 5 stars.

Two books that consistently make top ten lists, I rate rather lower (3.5-4 stars): Five Little Pigs (I dislike cold case stories, and I don't think Christie does them particularly well) and Crooked House (too obvious).

message 41: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Murphy (huntermurphywriter) | 21 comments Alberto wrote: "My list (in no particular order) of Christie books I've rated 5/5:
* Curtain
* Murder of Roger Akroyd
* Murder on the Orient Express
* Peril at End House
* Pale Horse (a controversial choice, I kno..."

Excellent list, Alberto. I follow this thread closely, because I haven't read all her work but want to do so. I'm adding your list to mine. :)

message 42: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
My favourites (in no particular order):
* The Mysterious Affair at Styles
* Curtain: Poirot’s Last Case
* 4:50 from Paddington
* The Murder at the Vicarage
* Evil Under the Sun
* A Caribbean Mystery
* The Man in the Brown Suit
* The Secret Adversary
* The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side
* Sad Cypress

It's difficult limit my list to ten.

message 43: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Murphy (huntermurphywriter) | 21 comments Martha wrote: "My favourites (in no particular order):
* Evil Under the Sun
* A Caribbean Myster..."

Oh, love this list, Martha. Really good ones. I just picked up several of the gems you mentioned (at my favorite used book store which is basically a candy store for readers). :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Martha wrote: "My favourites (in no particular order):
* Evil Under the Sun
* A Caribbean Myster..."

I agree with Hunter--great list. It includes some of my own favourites from my list of five, and also a few I missed: The 4:50 from Paddington and Evil Under the Sun. Those would definitely make my top ten. And I'm going to have to reread Curtain. For some reason, I can't recall that one at all and yet it has made it on a few people's top tens.

message 45: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Martha wrote: "My favourites (in no particular order):
* Evil Under the Sun
* A C..."

Thank you :) I'd enjoyed almost all A.C.'s books, but these are the ones that I love to re-read over and over. Oh, Curtain, I cried the first time I read it :(

message 46: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Some great choices there guys :) love this thread :) hmmmm here goes nothing

1. Murder on The Orient Express
2. Curtain: Poirot's Last Case
3. The Body In The Library
4. The Big Four (talk about coincidence)
5. Elephants Can Remember
6. Nemesis
7. By The Pricking of my Thumbs
8. Three Act Tragedy
9. the Murder of Roger Ackroyd
10. All of the rest.

message 47: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments And by all of the rest I mean all the other books. :)

message 48: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Brooklyn wrote: "And by all of the rest I mean all the other books. :)"

I agree with #10 ;)

message 49: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments I think I should've made #10 number #1. ;)

message 50: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Hunter wrote: "Martha wrote: "My favourites (in no particular order):
* Evil Under the Sun
* A C..."

I wish I had a good used books store nearby :(

« previous 1