A Good Thriller discussion

General > On The Hot Seat....Susan Fleet Is With Us

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,667 (1667 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9518 comments Mod
I thought this would be a good idea, each week we place one member(of our regulars) on the hot seat, here.

Where we can "ask any questions" for a week/day.

IE

Are you enjoying the book you are reading?

Any subject.

If you like I am happy to be the first !

Ask away. If popular we can nominate our next person.

What do you think....

message 2: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett | 87 comments I'll start with who is your favourite author?

message 3: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
How many hours a week do you spend reading?

message 4: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments What's the best part of living where you do?

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments Do you have a favorite literary guilty pleasure (i.e., book(s) you love but might be embarassed admitting to it)?

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments This could be interesting.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Why did you start this group on Goodreads?

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri Do you have any kids? What does your wife think of your book collection? :)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Strong (linstrong) | 480 comments What was the very first book you remember reading?

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Strong (linstrong) | 480 comments Can you remember the first time a book impacted your life in any way?

message 11: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Nov 08, 2014 12:49PM) (new)

Wow, I disappear for a hectic Saturday and come back to loads of questions... LOL

1/ Favourite, hard to pick one, but I go for Simon Kernick.

2/Depending on the book, but usually in the week 2 hours a day, weekend a bit hectic, but around 10-12 hours a week.

3/What I love about Jersey, not much crime, I can drive to any beach on the island in 10-15 minutes, much slower pace of life, although I always seem to be leading a hectic life.

4/Sadly not really any guilty pleasures, but I guess the true crime books that can be quite graphic and shocking. I guess I am a romantic so do like Nora Roberts!

5/I wanted to start this group, as I wanted to build a group of thriller lovers who wanted to share reviews, have fun and really be a large family.

6/Tracey my wife and I do not have children, one reason buying a house in Jersey is very expensive, and it was tough when we first married 35 years ago, we bought our first house aged 24-22 years old. But we do love of pets, cats! My wife sometimes cannot believe how many books I have, but does buy me books for Christmas.

7/First book I read was an Alistair Maclean book, not sure which one, but I read everyone, then also read all Sven Hassell books, and Gerald Durrell, all very different.

8/Not many books have impacted me that much but some books have shocked me usually the true stories. A Child Called It, The Iceman (one of best book I have read) , Born Free, A Cat Called Bob, A Lion Called Christian, all heart warming stories.

Two books that shocked me more than any other books I have read, purely the graphic things one couple could do, but a must read book is " A Lethal Marriage, The story of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka" by Nick Pron

And A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. Shocking story.

message 12: by Perri (new)

Perri 5/ and you have succeeded!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Sean, when are you going to mastermind a "Good Thriller" weekend where we could all meet each other in person? Wouldn't that be awesome?

message 14: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Somewhere warm; all expenses paid :~)

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Count me in.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Skye wrote: "Count me in."

Sean, where are you, buddy?

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments Christine wrote: "Skye wrote: "Count me in."

Sean, where are you, buddy?"

LOL!!!! You got me laughing Chris.

message 18: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett | 87 comments Can I ask another question, when you was a child did you enjoy reading, if so what? I work in a primary school and I'm always encouraging children to read particularly boys.

message 19: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Thanks, lovely comments.

Yes I have so many buddies here, that I know so well.

Cristal, I read a lot of Gerald Durrell, that was before I came to live in Jersey.

He wrote of his childhood on tropical islands and loving animals, which in adult life led him to start Jersey Zoo, now known As Durrell Zoo in Jersey.

He is dead now, but I did get to know him well, as he came to eat at a place I worked at.

I grew up with animals around me in Nairobi, Kenya.

message 20: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Anybody like to put themselves forward, for next hot seat.....

message 21: by IShita (new)

IShita | 187 comments I loved the idea, Sean. Although since I haven't been so active in this group, idk a lot about the other members here. So I guess this might be a good chance to! Great idea :)

message 22: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Nov 11, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

My nominations

Te're
Janet
Christine
Autumn
Mike

and the winner is...

message 23: by Linda (last edited Nov 11, 2014 05:04AM) (new)

Linda Strong (linstrong) | 480 comments Cristal wrote: "Can I ask another question, when you was a child did you enjoy reading, if so what? I work in a primary school and I'm always encouraging children to read particularly boys."

Everyone in my family have always been readers ... those who read for enjoyment ... except my youngest son. When he was about 7 or 8, he just didn't like to read. I tried many books from the library to get him interested without any luck. I finally stumbled over the Judy Blume books and brought a couple home.

To this day, remembering seeing and listening to him laugh as he read a book is like magic.

And guess which books he bought for his son .... :-)

message 24: by Janet , Moderator (new)

:) I don't mind, whenever it suits!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Cristal wrote: "Can I ask another question, when you was a child did you enjoy reading, if so what? I work in a primary school and I'm always encouraging children to read particularly boys."

Cristal, when my brother and I were in elementary school, we read everything in sight in the school library. My brother was especially keen on biographies written for that age group.

message 26: by Perri (new)

Perri How about we go in that order, unless someone want to bow out?

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments That's you, Ter'e Tequila!!!!!!!!!!!

message 28: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Janet wrote: ":) I don't mind, whenever it suits!"

Hey, we have a volunteer!!!

message 29: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh i would love to answer your questions, if you re looking for a victim

message 30: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Well let's start with you Janet....

Then we can all keep going, the more questions the better.

Aymen, you can have a go after if you would like.

How is that...

message 31: by Janet , Moderator (new)

That's fine with me ... :)

message 32: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh cool, let s start with Janet

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments I could do it after Aymen, if people want to ask me questions.

message 34: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh I ll ask you questions Christine, don t worry about that :)

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Aymen wrote: "I ll ask you questions Christine, don t worry about that :)"

Uh oh...

message 36: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Sounds good, Christine! :)

Um okey dokes, not sure when this starts but ..... feel free to ask away ...... *said modestly! Is there a dedicated chair?!! ;)

message 37: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh So Janet, who is the character that you felt closer to your heart?

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Janet, if you could take one author's books with you to a desert island, who would that be? Pick an author you like best, not the one who is most prolific-- this is a short trip to the island.

Also, what state or city or attraction in the US would you love to see most (have you ever been here?)?

message 39: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Janet's up eh?

Okie dokie, what's the longest you've gone without reading a book, and did you suffer any side effects?

message 40: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments I already know that "Game of Thrones" is the only fantasy you will entertain, but who's your favourite character and why?

message 41: by Perri (new)

Perri Is this the first group you've moderated? How much time does it take and what's been your biggest surprise?

message 42: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Aymen wrote: "So Janet, who is the character that you felt closer to your heart?"

Oh gosh, Aymen! Off the top of my head I can't honestly think of anyone. The problem is once I've read a book unless it was truly special, I don't really remember them and move on. The database in my head is so full with each passing year that it's getting harder and harder to find space. You did say character but you didn't specify book!! ;) So ......

When I was a kid around 10, 11 years of age, I used to play Charlie's Angels with my girlfriends. I was always Sabrina (Kate Jackson) the sensible one!! Now I look back and I can't believe I didn't go for the gorgeous Jaclyn Smith!!

I also wanted to be The Bionic Woman, Jaime Sommers (Lindsay Wagner), I thought she was uber cool and a natural beauty!

Now that's a real confession!!! And I'm showing my age!!

message 43: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Christine wrote: "Janet, if you could take one author's books with you to a desert island, who would that be? Pick an author you like best, not the one who is most prolific-- this is a short trip to the island.

Al..."

Hhhmmmm! Probably Minette Walters. There's just something about her writing that totally captivates me. It's a long time since I've read them and I could probably do with a refresh but I know she captures atmosphere beautifully, she sucks you in and doesn't let go. I know one of her books reduced me to tears, it's not often you can say that within this genre. For me I think she's at a level that not many attain.

That's easy - New York! The vibrancy cosmopolitan feel is a massive attraction. Something that has been visited in tv and movies a gazillion times over and yet I bet it still looks very different in real life. No, I have not yet made it over to the States, which is a tad annoying because I have got family over there and in Canada!! But when I do, you know I'm coming to find you!! You better be ready! ;)

message 44: by Janet , Moderator (new)

David wrote: "Janet's up eh?

Okie dokie, what's the longest you've gone without reading a book, and did you suffer any side effects?"

When the kids were much younger (I had four in seven years!!) my reading was very sporadic. I simply didn't have the time or energy and I probably spent more time reading childrens' books to the kids and then anything resembling grown up.

Now, it's very mood dependent. I can have a good run and read for days consistently, but equally something like a good boxset can push the reading aside whilst I splurge on that. Like I did with the whole season of The Sopranos a couple of months ago. Nothing much else existed! I was talking New Jersey and packing a piece!! ;)

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments Janet wrote: "Christine wrote: "Janet, if you could take one author's books with you to a desert island, who would that be? Pick an author you like best, not the one who is most prolific-- this is a short trip ..."

Come on over, Jaaaaaanet!!!

message 46: by Janet , Moderator (new)

David wrote: "I already know that "Game of Thrones" is the only fantasy you will entertain, but who's your favourite character and why?"

No, that's not strictly true. Ok I may not read much sci fi and fantasy but I have seen a fair few movies and tv programmes over the years. I remember queuing up outside the cinema to see the original Star Wars, it was a massive deal back then. Seen all of those, new and old, Aliens, the odd Star Trek, couldn't possibly list everything. Fantasy - in recent times, saw all of the Lord Of The Rings movies at the cinema and now we're continuing with The Hobbit, bit of a tradition here.

But GOT - omg I fell in love with that straightaway! Favourite character is definitely Tyrion. I think Peter Dinklage has a lot to do with that, because he plays him brilliantly and I'm not sure I can separate the two, they almost seem to merge. I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. And though Tyrion is a flawed character, he's the only one that can see the bigger picture most of the time and the only one with common sense and wiliness to get himself out of almost every sticky situation he finds himself in. Tyrion for King!

message 47: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Tyrion is certainly the most interesting character, but I have a soft spot for Arya.

message 48: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Janet, other than books, what other hobbies or interests do you have?

message 49: by Tom (last edited Nov 11, 2014 04:35PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 969 comments William Shakespeare: goofy guy in poofy pants or the font from which all great plots flow?

message 50: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett | 87 comments Do you have any pets?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34