Space Opera Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The website io9 reports that Interstellar is the best (and worst) space opera movie you'll ever see:

http://io9.com/interstellar-is-the-be...

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) BBC interview with Matthew McConaughey on INTERSTELLAR

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment...

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Lerner (codetheinternet) I just saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. I am one of those people who are ok with "artistic license". Some will throw their arms in the air because of feasibility issues. I enjoy it as a movie and not a documentary.

If I had a complaint it would be that, while they had nearly three hours for the movie, they seemed to jump ahead in the plot quite often to save time.

"I have no idea who you are, even though I recognize that person." >> "We are such-n-such. You know us." >> "Awesome, I fully trust you now and want to help."

This is literally 2m total. Kind of have to just go with it to enjoy the movie.

message 4: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments Ed wrote: "... they seemed to jump ahead in the plot quite often to save time."

Unfortunately, this is one of Nolan's bad habits. You can witness it in all Batman movies for example.

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Lerner (codetheinternet) True, but he is also good at keeping a good balance and keeping things interesting. Maybe that is the trade off.

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
NdGT on "Interstellar":

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/...

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay ... DATE NIGHT with husband tomorrow night (or is that tonight ... gee it's late right now) and I think Interstellar is on the movie list :-)

message 8: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments I went to see "Interstellar" last Sunday. I think it was exceptionally well made. It’s science seemed spot on for the most part. Together with "Gravity" I hope we get a renaissance of silent space travel.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Packi wrote: "I went to see "Interstellar" last Sunday. I think it was exceptionally well made. It’s science seemed spot on for the most part. Together with "Gravity" I hope we get a renaissance of silent space ..."

We lined up a babysitter, bought tickets, went to see it and learned it was over 3 hours with the credits and we didn't have the babysitter that long, so we ended up watching Nightstalker :-P Blech... Would have much rather watched happy space movies! Oh well ... I hope it's still in the theater for next month's parent's night out. :-)

message 10: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
David Brin calls it "the best movie he's seen this century". I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'll probably wait until it comes out on TV.

message 11: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 132 comments It was my favorite movie of 2014 but I am a huge Christopher Nolan fanboy

message 12: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments I enjoyed it! Esp liked TARS. Sorry..it reminded me of HK and Glados.

message 13: by Blurry (new)

Blurry | 13 comments Yes, indeed,I completely enjoyed Interstellar. The scene inside the blackhole were time had been converted into 3d space was totally provactive and mind-bending. I saw it twice and plan to get the dvd.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Just came out on DVD and cable. Now I can finally see it. After I finish my tax return. :(

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Urf! Taxes! Talk about a black hole :-P

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (coolbreeze85) Absolutely loved it.

message 17: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments Watched it today on the aeroplane trip back from Swancon. Really liked it - must have been amazing on the big screen

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments Packi wrote: "Ed wrote: "... they seemed to jump ahead in the plot quite often to save time."

Unfortunately, this is one of Nolan's bad habits. You can witness it in all Batman movies for example."

Nolan is getting worse with it in each movie he makes. That dream movie, so bad I forget the title, just jumped all around. Little Juno girl just accepted they can run around in dreams and she was all cool with it.

His only good movie was Dark Knight and that was because of how well Bale and Ledger played off each other. Nolan is most definitely an overrated director.

Haven't seen Interstellar but I'm sure the story is horrendous.

message 19: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments I quite liked Memento and Inception.