OneBookOneRiverHill discussion

American Born Chinese
This topic is about American Born Chinese
Talk about American Born Chinese > The awesomeness of a Graphic Novel

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bello | 12 comments Graphic novels appeal to a variety of people. There are a variety of graphic novel genres such as fantasy, super-hero, non-fiction, ect. Have you read graphic novels in the past? How did American Born Chinese compare? Graphically speaking, what appealed to you? What did not?

message 2: by Alisha (new)

Alisha S | 3 comments I have read graphic novels in the past and have enjoyed them. I think this book is different from what I have read, it is more humorous and more of a "light read." The art is unique but simple, the color composition used is enjoyable to look at.
-Alisha P.4A

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 10, 2014 07:09AM) (new)

I have read graphic novels in the past, but the styles were vastly different. When I first started this, the art didn't appeal to me, but now I realize the simplicity of the designs and colors allowed me to focus on the story and plot. (P.3)

Jess Li | 4 comments I read graphic novels all the time from manga to comics. People tend to think that graphic novels are not actual books and that they are just pictures with words but they nevery consider some of the complex stories behind them anf the effect that they might have on people, so I am very pleased with the fact that American Born Chinese was picked for a National Award.

Jess Li | 4 comments Alisha wrote: "I have read graphic novels in the past and have enjoyed them. I think this book is different from what I have read, it is more humorous and more of a "light read." The art is unique but simple, the..."

I would disagree with the fact that it is a light read. It delves into the insecurities that Asians have of being "different" than Caucasian people. It has an underlying meaninh of trying to fit in and the problems with society today. I do agree with the fact that it is a good read and the art is quite good.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Zhang | 6 comments I read graphic novels every now and then, and compared to those, ABC is much more humorous but a bit confusing because of the multiple stories overlapping each other. Graphically, the art style is not what I'm used to. To me, it wasn't what I usually preferred and there was a little too much color, but overall it was a good read because I could relate to it.

message 7: by Gokul (new)

Gokul Kannan | 2 comments This book is deep- more so than most graphic novels can convey, but I feel like the overlapping stories didnt't make it confusing as much as they opened up a whole new world of possibilities and insights. I loved the way it was written and portrayed, and I've actually gone back and read it three more times since my first read.

message 8: by Katy (last edited Dec 31, 2014 02:49PM) (new)

Katy | 3 comments I've read some graphic novels in the past such as Persepolis and I enjoy them because I like how the picture correspond with the writing for a clearer understanding. American born Chinese had a different art style than the graphic novels I've read and I really enjoyed that. I agree with Alisha that the art style is more simple but because of its simplicity it is unique and interesting. I didn't enjoy the way he made the characters appearance seem very cartoonist.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Zhang | 6 comments Gokul wrote: "This book is deep- more so than most graphic novels can convey, but I feel like the overlapping stories didnt't make it confusing as much as they opened up a whole new world of possibilities and in..."

For me, the different stories overlapping was interesting and original, but it also confused me for the first half of the novel - I was reading through the pages without actually understanding the connections. I was confused as to how these would relate, but that did make the ending all the more enjoyable.