OneBookOneRiverHill discussion

Talk about American Born Chinese > National Book Award

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bello | 12 comments American Born Chinese is the first graphic novel to win the Printz Award and be a finalist for the National Book Award. Why do you think it was picked for these awards and honors? Would you have chosen it? Explain.

message 2: by Alisha (last edited Nov 27, 2014 11:33AM) (new)

Alisha S | 3 comments It is surprising that a graphic novel was able to win a prestigious award like this. I enjoyed the book, but Im not sure if it deserved to be placed as first place. It would depend on what other books were competing against it.
-Alisha p.4A

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Zhang | 6 comments It was probably picked because the concept of trying to fit in and the concept of immigrants and coming of age. I think because more and more immigrants are coming to America to give their children better lives, it deserves to get first place. It incorporates contemporary concepts and ancient tales and ties them together in one cohesive plot, which is pretty clever. I would have chosen it, taken I didn't like the other submissions as much as ABC.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess Li | 4 comments Jennifer wrote: "It was probably picked because the concept of trying to fit in and the concept of immigrants and coming of age. I think because more and more immigrants are coming to America to give their children..."

I agree wholeheartedly that the book is very good and represents the problems of racism, but a lot of books do that. Why do you think that this book in particular was picked? I think it might also br the fact that maybe it was because no one really undertood the Asian immigrants. There have been plenty of books about the mistreatments of the African Americans, but maybe the race of the story made it different from normal.

message 5: by Katy (last edited Dec 31, 2014 02:52PM) (new)

Katy | 3 comments I believe this book should be nominated for these awards because it is very well written and has a good message attached to it without it being super cheesy. But at the same time I was surprised because as Alisha said its rare for a graphic novel to win or be nominated for an award like that. I would not have chosen this book because it was too much of a light read.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Zhang | 6 comments Jess wrote: "Jennifer wrote: " I think it might also br the fact that maybe it was because no one really undertood the Asian immigrants."

This is an issue that I think deserves to be focused on. Lots of people don't realize that there are many other races that do experience difficulties and troubles upon immigrating to the US, and that what they experience deserves to be acknowledged. This book did a great job to let troubles of Chinese immigrants be shown to the world, and that the kids of these immigrants do deal with difficulties in normal, everyday life.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Zhang | 6 comments Alisha wrote: "It is surprising that a graphic novel was able to win a prestigious award like this. I enjoyed the book, but Im not sure if it deserved to be placed as first place. It would depend on what other bo..."

This pleasantly surprised me, because it shows that new ideas are being accepted into what we consider "award-winning." Many times, pictures can tell a story just as well as words can, and this novel does good job to tell the story of an ABC and how he struggles to change himself just to fit in. The message sent is clear and it was sent in a fresh method: through a graphic novel, not an everyday novel.